The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who are the “magnificent 7” that Benning was referring to?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

About a week or so ago, Benning mentioned that there were 7 guys currently within the Canucks’ system that he expected to be playing on the Canucks within 2-3 years.   Who was he referring to?  Here’s my guess:

1) Rafferty

2) Tryamkin (if he counts)

3) MacEwan

4) Podkolzin

5) Hoglander

6) Juolevi (or Rathbone)

7) Dipietro 

2020-2021 again, these are just my predictions)

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen

Roussel-Gaudette-Ferland

Motte-Beagle-MacEwan

Edler-Barrie

Hughes-Myers
Tryamkin-Rafferty

Markstrom

NewBackUp

2021-2022

Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen

Hoglander-Gaudette-Podkolzin
Motte-####-MacEwan

Hughes-Myers

Tryamkin-Barrie
Juolevi-Rafferty   (Juolevi or Rathbone)

Markstrom

Dipietro

That’s “kinda sorta” how I see things playing out, with regards to the “magnificent 7,” and with regards to how the Canucks will handle their cap space.   I think the Canucks walk away from Tanev and Stecher, while trading Demko with Eriksson to clear cap.  Boeser will get moved at the draft to Minnesota for a 1st rounder and a prospect to clear cap (and to recoup the first that we lost in the Miller deal, along with recouping a Madden replacement within the system).  Canucks walk from Edler and Benn on July 1st 2021.   Ferland will either retire or will be traded if he gets his game and health back.   Sutter and Baertschi traded at 50% in this summer, while Beagle and Roussel traded at 50% in the summer of 2021.

Edited by DarkIndianRises
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Brock isn't going anywhere lol . It's more likely toffoli is let go .

I think about it from Benning's perspective.  How bad would those Roussel, Beagle etc signings make him look if he was forced to move what he considers a core young player because of lack of cap (as OP is suggesting).

BB aint going anywhere.  I betcha they would move even move Virt plus another player before they move BB.  A right wing combo of Toffoli + Boeser on lines one and two would be a great 1-2 punch.

• Like 1

I assume it is: Podkolzin, Hoglander, Rathbone, Juolevi, Rafferty, DiPeitro, and Woo.

Long shots could be: Lind, Lockwood, McDonough, Jasek

I don't believe Tryamkin is included in the list. He's already got 79 NHL games and isn't a prospect anymore. He turns 26 this year. I believe Jim Benning wants Tryamkin on the blue line next year but I don't see him as part of the Magnificent 7.

Edited by Quantum
Rathbone isn't a long shot.
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

About a week or so ago, Benning mentioned that there were 7 guys currently within the Canucks’ system that he expected to be playing on the Canucks within 2-3 years.   Who was he referring to?  Here’s my guess:

1) Rafferty

2) Tryamkin (if he counts)

3) MacEwan

4) Podkolzin

5) Hoglander

6) Juolevi (or Rathbone)

7) Dipietro 

2020-2021 again, these are just my predictions)

Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen

Roussel-Gaudette-Ferland

Motte-Beagle-MacEwan

Edler-Barrie

Hughes-Myers
Tryamkin-Rafferty

Markstrom

NewBackUp

2021-2022

Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen

Hoglander-Gaudette-Podkolzin
Motte-####-MacEwan

Hughes-Myers

Tryamkin-Barrie
Juolevi-Rafferty   (Juolevi or Rathbone)

Markstrom

Dipietro

That’s “kinda sorta” how I see things playing out, with regards to the “magnificent 7,” and with regards to how the Canucks will handle their cap space.   I think the Canucks walk away from Tanev and Stecher, while trading Demko with Eriksson to clear cap.  Boeser will get moved at the draft to Minnesota for a 1st rounder and a prospect to clear cap (and to recoup the first that we lost in the Miller deal, along with recouping a Madden replacement within the system).  Canucks walk from Edler and Benn on July 1st 2021.   Ferland will either retire or will be traded if he gets his game and health back.   Sutter and Baertschi traded at 50% in this summer, while Beagle and Roussel traded at 50% in the summer of 2021.

He said at least, so yes I think your list is accurate, I would definitely add Rathbone to this, and I believe that he is referring to Tryamkin as well.

I think he's also indicating Lind in that group.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I assume it is: Podkolzin, Hoglander, Rathbone, Juolevi, Rafferty, DiPeitro, and Woo.

Long shots could be: Rathbone, Lind, Lockwood, McDonough, Jasek

I don't believe Tryamkin is included in the list. He's already got 79 NHL games and isn't a prospect anymore. He turns 26 this year. I believe Jim Benning wants Tryamkin on the blue line next year but I don't see him as part of the Magnificent 7.

magnificent 7?

oceans seven?

gotta get this handle right

not sure if rathbone can be included, he was drafted by the nucks, but they have not signed him, and their control over him can expire on 30 days notice after this season, doubt jb included him in his calculation

(not sure why you included him, and then also included him in your long shot listing - i agree he is a longshot)

pod is not under contract, but their control over his rights is much stronger then rath, so i'd include him

i think i'd replace rathbone with lind

i agree tryam is not part of this group

i think mcewan is also not part as he was with the nucks when jb made his statement about the 7

Edited by coastal.view
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

We still have Lind in the system. He is YOUNG still. He is a skilled gritty top 6 kind of guy that would likely fit in on Bo's wing. His speed is not top flight, but it NHL level. He's picked up his game in Utica late last year, and into this one. The kid is a gamer, and he should be in this list.

• Like 1

Just now, Quantum said:

The Canucks hold Rathbone's rights for 2 more years. That's a lot of time. Rathbone also has expressed a lot of loyalty to the Canucks and said the Canucks were the only NHL team that didn't flinch when he was telling NHL teams that he was going to stay at his high school to play hockey in his D+1 season because he wanted to me near his special needs brother. I think there's a legitimate case to be made that he's in the Magnificent 7. He's one of the best defensemen in the NCAA right now and he should factor into the future of the Canucks blue line.

i'm still waiting for your explanation of why you included him in both your longshot and your 7 grouping??   

Don't think he's counting Rafferty, Tryamkin (unless he knows he'll sign), MacEwan (he's already made the team).

In no specific order:

1) Lind/Jasek

2) Rathbone

3) Brisbois (JB really likes this player)

4) Podkolzin

5) Hoglander

6) Juolevi /Woo (his game has picked up in the past 2 months)

7) Dipietro 

There are other possibilities as well, but they will take a bit longer to make the transition.

17 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i'm still waiting for your explanation of why you included him in both your longshot and your 7 grouping??   

Oh, I didn't mean to add him to my Longshot. That was my mistake. When I was writing the post I was deciding between Lind and Rathbone for the 7th spot. Honestly, I feel like there's more than 7 prospects in the current system that could make the leap to the NHL in the near future.