The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Montreal Canadiens | Feb. 25, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Snap.... I keep thinking the same thing... and wonder if that someone could end up being Boeser?

I don't want him gone. On the contrary, but 1+1=2, and no matter how its being twisted and turned, if they don't get rid of some of the usual suspects (Loui, Baer, Ruos, Sutter, Benn), hard decisions will have to be made...

Mind you, on the list of expendables, I think he is a good bit down the list behind Stecher, Tanev and maybe even Pearson... but I think it all comes down to how we fair during these play offs, provided we qualify....

Anyway, I always come to the same conclusion.... JB has a plan already. And it may not even include Tofoli in the future, although I think even Benning will have been taken aback at how well Toffoli has fitting with the rest of the team.... which is far better, that could have been hoped for, for a rental.

JB has a plan for our cap fir sure, but if his plan to manage our cap involves trading away bad contracts that requires another GM to participate.  Is that a plan or a hope? 

• Cheers 1

Our compete level is still low the hustle is not where it should be with the race beeing so close they really need to bury teams and be aggressive right out the gate i see way to many fly bys and not enough hitting 

-rousell is not hitting at all and has been pretty invisible i would demote him to the 4th line and put motte up with gauds and tuna 

- defensive zone breakdowns have been bad we need to button up defensively if we are going to be effective coming down the stretch 

-beeing outshot every game has to change to many trys at perfect plays throw the pucks on net 

we got the 2 points thats all that matters onto ottawa which if they play agressively will be an easy W 

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Can an NHL team survive one year where zero draft picks make the show? (i feel like we've done this in the past unintentionally with a poor draft year) 

Right now, cupboard is stocked, the team is relatively young. We don't have first and second round picks. Do you package Erikson with a 3rd and a 5th to try to offload him? 

Do you package Baerstchi with a 4th and offload him? 

Trade Sutter without picks involved? 

This means Judd and JB can just chill out on draft day. 

I think 1 year of no draft would suck for the fans but won't be detrimental to the team in the long run.  Not every pick will play in the NHL.  But the more picks you have increases the chances that you will get some players that can make it or at least provide depth on the AHL team.

Because JB and Brackett have drafted well, Canucks have a cushion with up and coming prospects.  They can afford to trade draft picks to shore up the problem areas.  I just don't want to see the Canucks keep trading their 2nd round pick for rentals every year like they did in the past.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

JB has a plan for our cap fir sure, but if his plan to manage our cap involves trading away bad contracts that requires another GM to participate.  Is that a plan or a hope? 

That's the 64.000$ question... 

It takes two to tango, so yes it needs somebody else to participate to get rid of those surplus to requirements.... hence the big question mark of who pays the price if nobody is willing to dance... again, I'm sure JB has a plan. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Here's something I want you to consider....look at ALL the game stats for the night, don't just cherry pick Vancouver to find a deficiency.

Lots of teams face a high number of shots....but shots don't always mean "wins" or blow out losses.  Last night:

Coyotes had 38 shots but still lost to the Panthers, who had 26.  

Hurricanes had 41 shots against the Stars, but still lost.  Stars had a whopping 16 shots (but 3 unanswered goals in the first).

Oilers had 32 shots against the Ducks' winning 21 shots.

Islanders lost but had 45 shots against the Rangers, who won with their 28.

Sens outshot the Preds 35-33 but still lost to them.

Wild had 40 shots but just squeaked out a win against Columbus, who scored 3 in the third.

So understand that shots don't tell the whole story.  Goaltenders have to perform well for a team to do well and maybe the goaltender fully engaged because he's actively stopping shots ends up more focused in some cases?  More involved?  Not that you aim for that...but it's something worth thinking about.  They're having to be totally zoned in in a more constant way?

Good post.

These stats lead me to think that using shots as a proxy for possession is very much flawed.

As hockey is becoming more of a puck possession game than ever before, there may be a bit of a trend towards players unwilling to take "bad" shots; rather passing the puck around to create a better shooting opportunities. Any given player will assess variety of options. Obviously, if he is in a prime shooting area and he is open, he will shoot it more often than not. But when he is not in a prime shooting area, then they look to pass/cycle the puck and only choose to get a shot on net if that is the only safe option they have (i.e., will turn the puck over otherwise).

With a lead, you have less reason to shoot because bad shot results in a change in possession. When you have a lead, you want to play a keep away as long as possible, conserve energy while tiring the other team and score if something opens up. Hence, more selective shots are taken.

When you are trailing, as time winds down, you are just going to crash the net so throw the puck on net and swarm it with guys hopefully goalie gives up a rebound and your player is there to pick up the rebound. But obviously, this strategy has its risk because if your team doesn't pick up the rebound and you got 3 guys going in the wrong direction, the other team may go on an odd man rush the other way.

Conclusion: need a new metric for possession.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Anyway, I always come to the same conclusion.... JB has a plan already. And it may not even include Tofoli in the future, although I think even Benning will have been taken aback at how well Toffoli has fitting with the rest of the team.... which is far better, that could have been hoped for, for a rental.

When we make the playoffs ('when', not 'if'), I expect (I am a homer) the Canucks to have considerable success.

Without going into the reasons for my optimism, I profer the idea that many Canucks will have positive feelings about the team as a result.

It will help JB's plan to have a tightly-knit team that knows it can win and with whom they will want to remain.

My conclusion therefore is that it will be easier for management to fit the pieces together after said success.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Our compete level is still low the hustle is not where it should be with the race beeing so close they really need to bury teams and be aggressive right out the gate i see way to many fly bys and not enough hitting 

-rousell is not hitting at all and has been pretty invisible i would demote him to the 4th line and put motte up with gauds and tuna 

- defensive zone breakdowns have been bad we need to button up defensively if we are going to be effective coming down the stretch 

-beeing outshot every game has to change to many trys at perfect plays throw the pucks on net 

we got the 2 points thats all that matters onto ottawa which if they play agressively will be an easy W 

The compete level has been really good the last few games, take out the first half of the period yesterday. 

Rousell hasn’t been playing as good as he can but I wouldn’t change the lines. The 4th line is a beast and the 3rd line has some chemistry.

People keep saying we need to let less shots but our goaltenders seems to thrive with more shots. I feel like we’ve lost more games when we’ve keep em under 30

Also there are no “Easy” points in the NHL. Ottawa more then likely will bring a good game tomorrow 

Edited by Devron44

28 minutes ago, bree2 said:

he is also 27 been in the league a lot longer and was on a Stanley cup team, of course he has more experience than Brock who just turned 23.   really not  fair to compare them, but lets compare this! before Brock got injured  he had 45 points and when Toffoli came here he had 33 points. 

I’ve said before but too many people around here think Bess is 35 years old lol

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

When we make the playoffs ('when', not 'if'), I expect (I am a homer) the Canucks to have considerable success.

Without going into the reasons for my optimism, I profer the idea that many Canucks will have positive feelings about the team as a result.

It will help JB's plan to have a tightly-knit team that knows it can win and with whom they will want to remain.

My conclusion therefore is that it will be easier for management to fit the pieces together after said success.

I believe they make it as well, but don't say it out loud... the last time someone had us for sure making the play offs, we went on a losing streak :P... so for now at least,  I chose to play along until we're sure...

I don't know, how well we'll do, but obviously hope we do really well. However the experience of play off hockey will be invaluable for this team and management team going forward. And yes agree it will be easier to to fit pieces together afterwards. Anyone in hockey can see this team has tremendous potential, so a lot of players would like to be part of this...

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

34 minutes ago, spook007 said:

That's the 64.000$ question... 

It takes two to tango, so yes it needs somebody else to participate to get rid of those surplus to requirements.... hence the big question mark of who pays the price if nobody is willing to dance... again, I'm sure JB has a plan. 

Yup.  What’s the cost to us to dump those contracts?

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

All he has to do is pick up the phone and call Dorian.   He's determined to get every draft pick the next couple of years and I'm sure he'd oblige (plus determined to ice an AHL team to get best odds for said draft picks ha ha ha). 

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, bree2 said:

he is also 27 been in the league a lot longer and was on a Stanley cup team, of course he has more experience than Brock who just turned 23.   really not  fair to compare them, but lets compare this! before Brock got injured  he had 45 points and when Toffoli came here he had 33 points. 

but I would take Toffoli in our own end 1000x more than BB6....