The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Montreal Canadiens | Feb. 25, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Thought Demko struggled at times with rebound control, but he certainly got the job done. Also liked how he handled the puck. When was the last time the Canucks had a solid puck-handling goaltender? Cloutier?

He is decisive with the puck, knows went to go out and get it. Still can get burnt, like they do. But intercepting dump ins, even passes, then dish... its a huge skillset to possess in addition to being gifted in net itself.

Demko has the ability to win NHL games, and this stretch is going to be invaluable to both him, and the team moving forward.

He shook off those two early goals and he held us in there.

Good performance by him!

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Loui, Sutter, Rooster, and Baer would be four contracts we need to dump, so we can sign our UFAs who actually help us win.  

Loui, Sutter and Bärtschi yes.

Roussel is perfect for what he does. A Tikkanen/ Ruutu/ Cooke/ Burrows hybrid.

3 hours ago, TGT68 said:

Remind me why Toffoli is not on Horvat's line.  Lol

4 points in 2 games prior to tonight on Petey's line would suggest he was doing just fine. They were dangerous tonight too, just didn't bury their chances.

You can see why Toffoli stands out as a top 6 forward as he has swift hands, good vision and knows how to bury a puck.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Loui, Sutter and Bärtschi yes.

Roussel is perfect for what he does. A Tikkanen/ Ruutu/ Cooke/ Burrows hybrid.

Roussel will be the most tradable piece though. If we can unload his entire cap hit, I think that will be more valuable to us. The fact that he doesn't PK for us anymore limits his value to us.

If we can move all three of those players, then definitely keep Roussel, but I think it'll be a challenge. Baertschi will be bought out, so we'd only save a bit more of cap from him. LE will always be a dream if he could retire, but it also doesn't sit well with me if we have to pay a hefty price to unload him. If Sutter stays healthy, hopefully we can move him. I think Sutter has value to our team, but I think the cap space outweighs his value.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He's good. Good edge work. Skates backward well. Uses his poke check really well. Wins almost all his board battles.  He would keep Domi to the outside more and Domi would go to the other side of the  ice more. Tonight I noticed Domi is pretty brave and skated into dangerous areas because he knew he wasn't going to get hit. Tryamkin is very protective of his other players and would have nailed his ass for Huggy. Tryamkin makes forwards alter their game.

Better skater than Myers?

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

Roussel will be the most tradable piece though. If we can unload his entire cap hit, I think that will be more valuable to us. The fact that he doesn't PK for us anymore limits his value to us.

If we can move all three of those players, then definitely keep Roussel, but I think it'll be a challenge. Baertschi will be bought out, so we'd only save a bit more of cap from him. LE will always be a dream if he could retire, but it also doesn't sit well with me if we have to pay a hefty price to unload him. If Sutter stays healthy, hopefully we can move him. I think Sutter has value to our team, but I think the cap space outweighs his value.

Eriksson may be valuable to a cap floor team by summer.

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We needed Demko to steal that game, and he did.  We can’t be giving up 40 shots and expect our goalie to steal wins every time.  

We keep hearing this, yet we keep winning games still. Despite them outshooting us tonight, I felt like we had more dangerous chances in terms of actual plays, many of which we didn't get a shot on goal or missed the puck.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I thought I heard LE’s cap hit is pretty much off the books starting next season. 

2 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

I thought I heard LE’s cap hit is pretty much off the books starting next season. 

Pretty sure his cap hit stays the same. His salary is less after the bonus being paid out. And the dream is that he retires after that.

2 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Because Jake Virtanen, despite being a very talented mofo, has Corky Thatcher’s hockey IQ?  (that, and Eriksson sucks).

Every point Virtanen gets, every goal Virtanen scores, is a career high for Virtanen.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Pretty sure his cap hit stays the same. His salary is less after the bonus being paid out. And the dream is that he retires after that.

Mutual termination of contract.

I believe this is the future of “moving on”. Too many players don’t fit with teams they sign with.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Most of the actual money paid to him on the contract is gone after this bonus day (July 1? 15?).

Anyways, after that, his contract becomes far more palatable to certain cap structured teams.

We've all seen it, he still has game. 6 million in game, no.

Anyways, his hit is 6 across the contract, per season.

The most reasonable thing for the team would be for him to retire after this bonus is collected.

But he is still leaving several mill on the table at that point.

That being said, something in my guts telling me it's coming.