The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Montreal Canadiens | Feb. 25, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Honestly, all around game, Toffoli is better than Brock. He's more responsible defensively, he may not have Brock's finish, but he's a better skater and is a better passer with a higher hockey IQ.

It honestly looks like the difference between an established 1st line / top 6 winger vs a young player still trying to put it a together. When Brock returns, will be interesting to see if having Toffoli relievs a bit of that pressure and allows Boes to be at his ... boest... B)

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, awalk said:

It honestly looks like the difference between an established 1st line / top 6 winger vs a young player still trying to put it a together. When Brock returns, will be interesting to see if having Toffoli relievs a bit of that pressure and allows Boes to be at his ... boest... B)

If Boeser cant handle the game without a player like toffoli around then maybe Boeser isnt the player we thought he might be.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

59 minutes ago, sassbs said:

I’ve been streaming majority of the game’s as of late and I’ve notice toffoli and horvat have some proper chemistry between the two. Whenever they play together they click.  Add Pearson to the mix and that line will be something to watch.  I hope they are together when boeser gets back.  

hughes is just so unreal to watch. When he has the puck it’s just amazing how he gets around everyone or How quickly he can loose the man covering him. 

I don’t mind giving up madden at all for toffey!  He’s good, but I don’t think he would’ve signed here. Look at the center depth... no way he strives for 4th line.  

I love this team!   

The reality of this is Pettersson make plays while Horvat makes space.  Any sniper can play with Petey, guys that thrive in space need to play with Bo. 

Miller Petey Brock

Pearson Bo Toffoli

Jake Gaud (eventually Kole)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Spot on Stawns...

From here on in it will be tougher on the ice... and this will be a steep learning curve for our younger players.... 

As our best players Petersson and Hughes have marks on their backs, but the addition of both Miller and Toffoli and their play off experience (together with Beagle) will be of immense value in that department... 

Somehow I'm actually happy about it as well... This gives them a chance to get accustomed to the lack of calls, while there is still room for manoeuvre,

This is what Benning wanted the younger part of the team to learn and understand, by playing play off hockey.

Getting two point yesterday was a great start.

And that's exactly what the tanker crowd never understands.........it takes these kinds of experiences to win it all.  You don't suddenly waltz in and win it on your first try.

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 3

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

It's scary to think that despite 2 big wins Vancouver is just 5 points from being out of the Wild Card spot :blink:

Good thing that Benning brought in reinforcements to give the team some belief they can make this push into the playoffs. Benning could've stayed pat and hope for the best, but we could've been losing confidence. Toffoli has been a nice shot in the arm and has been vital since he's joined us.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I would suggest, you get on the right side of this and pull for him too!

You misunderstand me. I am not pulling for him to fail, I am only saying we can’t assume he’ll fit in right away and that if we assume he’ll be ready, we could be wrong. I am urging caution. That’s all. 

6 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

:bored: Um, How many tv time outs are there each period? :bored: Might be using those as time outs, so that he can save the called time for when it might be needed late in the game. Juuuuuust satin.

Man, you must be one smooth talker B)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Your tune changed in a hurry.

It was only a week ago when you posted, about 20 times, how Toffoli could NEVER be signed here...could never be signed here...could never be signed here..cuz of the cap. 

It went on and on lol.

I am sure JB will do whatever is best for the team including moving players as needed to keep the best players. And hopefully that includes Toffoli.  Making snap judgments usually never ends well imo (yes I have done it to).

Okay, Tofu is purely a rental.  I accept the sad truth we gave up Madden and a second to rent Tofu, when those two assets could have been used this summer (after Loui’s July bonus) to dump Loui.  

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Your tune changed in a hurry.

It was only a week ago when you posted, about 20 times, how Toffoli could NEVER be signed here...could never be signed here...could never be signed here..cuz of the cap. 

It went on and on lol.

I am sure JB will do whatever is best for the team including moving players as needed to keep the best players. And hopefully that includes Toffoli.  Making snap judgments usually never ends well imo (yes I have done it to).

Taffoli can't be signed without changes.

Bennings going to have some difficult decisions.  I keep thinking that someone we don't expect may not be back.  It looks like Tofu-man can score them buy the bucket full on this team.  Let's temper our expectations because it's only 3 games.  Can they fit him if he wants $6-7M?  Probably not.  $5.5M?  That's pushing it.   

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

Taffoli can't be signed without changes.

Bennings going to have some difficult decisions.  I keep thinking that someone we don't expect may not be back.  It looks like Tofu-man can score them buy the bucket full on this team.  Let's temper our expectations because it's only 3 games.  Can they fit him if he wants $6-7M?  Probably not.  $5.5M?  That's pushing it.   

Sutter is not going to be here next year. His 4.3m cap hit will be gone for sure. Eriksson is not going anywhere unless he retires. If Demko plays well in these crucial games Markstrom might not be signed. There is cap space to re-sign Toffoli as long as he wants 4.5-6m million. If he wants 7+ yea that is not going to happen unless Eriksson is gone.

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Here's something I want you to consider....look at ALL the game stats for the night, don't just cherry pick Vancouver to see a deficiency.

Lots of teams face a high number of shots....but shots don't always mean "wins" or blow outs losses.  Last night:

Coyotes had 38 shots but still lost to the Panthers, who had 26.  

Hurricanes had 41 shots against the Stars, but still lost.  Stars had a whopping 16 shots (but 3 unanswered goals in the first).

Oilers had 32 shots against the Ducks' winning 21 shots.

Islanders lost but had 45 shots against the Rangers, who won with their 28.

Sens outshot the Preds 35-33 but still lost to them.

Wild had 40 shots but just squeaked out a win against Columbus, who scored 3 in the third.

So understand that shots don't tell the whole story.  Goaltenders have to perform well for a team to do well and maybe the goaltender fully engaged because he's actively stopping shots ends up more focused in some cases?  More involved?  Not that you aim for that...but it's something worth thinking about.  They're having to be totally zoned in in a more constant way?

So what you’re saying is the goalie is a super important player, right?

Clearly Green has the directive from above to trade scoring chances.  If our goalie is great, we win.  That tells me we have better players.  (Guys who can generate quality shots, and who score at a higher rate on those chances than their opponents).  

If we have such good players (IMO we have a really good team) why not play systems that limit shots against?