When you win I try hard to save face
I come on here once again to plead my case
I look around for a coach who can replace
The one we have that I feel is a disgrace
I keep crying, "Baby, baby, please"

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Different times now. The respect culture seems to the more well adapted one. If Gallant has a mindset that he thinks he can do a better job (despite Green still working and he's out of a job), then that doesn't seem to show a whole lot of respect. In today's game, I'd argue that Trotz is the best in the game, but I don't see a whole lot of arrogance coming from him (although I can't say I follow him enough in that kind of detail to know).

Trotz is also an arrogant mofu.  All the coaches are.  They need to have that quality to get to that level.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Trotz is also an arrogant mofu.  All the coaches are.  They need to have that quality to get to that level.  

I disagree, Alf.

See that's the issue...that we assume a one size fits all works.  It doesn't.  We're dealing with human beings...players who are all individuals and respond differently as a result.

We had a guy who poked his finger on the bench and yelled in guy's ears.  Not sure that was a success story.

We're in a new time and place...coaches who understand how to motivate rather than demand it are of value.  That actually applies in many workplaces...

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

ERrP74JXUAICHld?format=jpg&name=large

11 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Hughes will beat that in about five years. 

I just checked, Hughes currently has 14 multi-point games in 66 career games. A 5 year timeline for him beating this would actually be conservative based on his current output. 

• Huggy Bear 3

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

He was an analyst covering the trade deadline for TSN. He spoke very highly of them and then someone said something about Travis Green and how good he has coached them and he kinda just gave this nod which I was thinking like yea he is thinking I can coach them better than he has, lol.

Gallant would fit right in here on CDC, LOL! I liked his teams but there must be something deeper that gets him fired. Green is getting better at his job as he goes, he played a hard-nosed game under some good coaches. I think he's still piecing together what works for this team and discarding what doesn't.

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I disagree, Alf.

See that's the issue...that we assume a one size fits all works.  It doesn't.  We're dealing with human beings...players who are all individuals and respond differently as a result.

We had a guy who poked his finger on the bench and yelled in guy's ears.  Not sure that was a success story.

We're in a new time and place...coaches who understand how to motivate rather than demand it are of value.  That actually applies in many workplaces...

These are elite, hyper compete athletes, who are playing a game that can be vicious.  It’s more akin to a battlefield than a regular workplace.  These players need to trust their coach to prepare them for battle.  They don’t need to like him.  

Is Green that kind of guy?  Is he naturally an arrogant mofu, that the players trust will best prepare them for battle?  Or is he just pretending?  We shall see. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

These are elite, hyper compete athletes, who are playing a game that can be vicious.  It’s more akin to a battlefield than a regular workplace.  These players need to trust their coach to prepare them for battle.  They don’t need to like him.  

Is Green that kind of guy?  Is he naturally an arrogant mofu, that the players trust will best prepare them for battle?  Or is he just pretending?  We shall see. 

Most human beings don't have a lot of trust for people they don't like...they tend to go hand in hand.  Like leads to respect and often garners "trust".

If the team doesn't like the coach chances are they're tuning him out.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 hours ago, XxS3E3DI2N2SxX said:

If Boeser cant handle the game without a player like toffoli around then maybe Boeser isnt the player we thought he might be.

Or maybe he is still working on becoming the player, we all think he can be... just 23

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Here's something I want you to consider....look at ALL the game stats for the night, don't just cherry pick Vancouver to see a deficiency.

Lots of teams face a high number of shots....but shots don't always mean "wins" or blow out losses.  Last night:

Coyotes had 38 shots but still lost to the Panthers, who had 26.  

Hurricanes had 41 shots against the Stars, but still lost.  Stars had a whopping 16 shots (but 3 unanswered goals in the first).

Oilers had 32 shots against the Ducks' winning 21 shots.

Islanders lost but had 45 shots against the Rangers, who won with their 28.

Sens outshot the Preds 35-33 but still lost to them.

Wild had 40 shots but just squeaked out a win against Columbus, who scored 3 in the third.

So understand that shots don't tell the whole story.  Goaltenders have to perform well for a team to do well and maybe the goaltender fully engaged because he's actively stopping shots ends up more focused in some cases?  More involved?  Not that you aim for that...but it's something worth thinking about.  They're having to be totally zoned in in a more constant way?

Nice one Deb +1

Edited by spook007

Huge win!  Huge 2 points!

Turning point - Green called the time out.

PP - two of two, 100% efficiency.

Goalie -  Demko was solid except the few early minutes.

OT - nice passing nice moving.  23-53-73 several good passing with nice finished by 73.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Loui (little things) and Sutter (foundational piece) are friggin’ expendable.  Do whatever it takes, but get these two guys off the books.  Then sign Tofu and OF COURSE keep Bess.  

Bess

Tofu

Jake

That's some seriously strong right wing.  

You bet.  Left side too.  Leivo maybe too - deep. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Taffoli can't be signed without changes.

Bennings going to have some difficult decisions.  I keep thinking that someone we don't expect may not be back.  It looks like Tofu-man can score them buy the bucket full on this team.  Let's temper our expectations because it's only 3 games.  Can they fit him if he wants $6-7M?  Probably not.  $5.5M?  That's pushing it.   

Snap.... I keep thinking the same thing... and wonder if that someone could end up being Boeser?

I don't want him gone. On the contrary, but 1+1=2, and no matter how its being twisted and turned, if they don't get rid of some of the usual suspects (Loui, Baer, Ruos, Sutter, Benn), hard decisions will have to be made...

Mind you, on the list of expendables, I think he is a good bit down the list behind Stecher, Tanev and maybe even Pearson... but I think it all comes down to how we fair during these play offs, provided we qualify....

Anyway, I always come to the same conclusion.... JB has a plan already. And it may not even include Tofoli in the future, although I think even Benning will have been taken aback at how well Toffoli has fitting with the rest of the team.... which is far better, that could have been hoped for, for a rental.

• Like 1