The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Montreal Canadiens | Feb. 25, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  What’s the cost to us to dump those contracts?

Well nothing is free in life... But I'm sure it won't have anything to do with our untouchables/top prospects... 

I'm not too worried about draft picks the next couple of years (this ones gone anyway), but after that we need to start drafting again.

But for now, getting a team assembled to support Pettersson, Horvat and Hughes, would be my priority. I think this team has massive potential to go deep. Maybe not this year, but in the next couple of years... don't waste Petterssons or Hughes talents by holding back the horses...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

PRACTICE | Tyler Toffoli 

He really seems to have fitted in perfectly with the rest of the team... I think he will be very interested in staying with this group, which again should be an advantage in future negotiations.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Can I just quickly add I hope there's room for both Toffoli and Boeser, as I really want Bo to finally have a proper top six winger...

He always seems to be the one getting hit, when Green tries to fit a square peg into a round hole....

It's guaranteed that Horvat gets one of Boeser or Toffoli. Excellent options as wingers.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, khay said:

Good post.

These stats lead me to think that using shots as a proxy for possession is very much flawed.

As hockey is becoming more of a puck possession game than ever before, there may be a bit of a trend towards players unwilling to take "bad" shots; rather passing the puck around to create a better shooting opportunities. Any given player will assess variety of options. Obviously, if he is in a prime shooting area and he is open, he will shoot it more often than not. But when he is not in a prime shooting area, then they look to pass/cycle the puck and only choose to get a shot on net if that is the only safe option they have (i.e., will turn the puck over otherwise).

With a lead, you have less reason to shoot because bad shot results in a change in possession. When you have a lead, you want to play a keep away as long as possible, conserve energy while tiring the other team and score if something opens up. Hence, more selective shots are taken.

When you are trailing, as time winds down, you are just going to crash the net so throw the puck on net and swarm it with guys hopefully goalie gives up a rebound and your player is there to pick up the rebound. But obviously, this strategy has its risk because if your team doesn't pick up the rebound and you got 3 guys going in the wrong direction, the other team may go on an odd man rush the other way.

Conclusion: need a new metric for possession.

Shots taken alone isn't a good enough metric. I prefer high quality chances.

Which were actually pretty even last night. 13-12 in favor of the Habs.

1 minute ago, PuckFather said:

Not according to hockey experts on HFboards :frantic:

I used to be on that board with the same name. Man those guys are never happy with any moves. They have a vested interest in seeing the Canucks fail. I told them i'd be there to rub  it in when the Canucks turned the corner and got banned shortly after,lol. This is a way better forum, you can appreciate the work JB has done without being public enemy #1. People can agree too disagree here. I've griped abit about Green here but can admit i was wrong with how he's brought Virtanen along. We now have 4 solid lines and everyone knows their role. I had some gripes about AV and he's and great coach too, doesn't mean i want them fired. I did not like WD because i feel he cost us Tryamkin.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, xereau said:

Professional contrarians without the ability to critically analyze either themselves,or others.

Hermit trolls.

I have been critical of things about this club and its players, but it's not always, and I listen to what others have to say, and I am open to changing my mind.

I see 90% positive things with this club at the moment, and recent improvements in the team D system have me leaning towards 95% than 85%.

The people who never have a good thing to say, have problems that go far beyond hockey.

Badminton?

Canucks were slightly off sync last night but man what a game. 

They had so many grade A chances or sure fire goals (had the pass been accurate or shooter didnt whiff) 

Could have been like 3 more goals. 

Looks like we are finally a team that wins on an off night again. 

They need to keep the fire going and cant relax knowing they can beat teams without playing their best. 

Hopefully Green can keep them focused. 

1 hour ago, khay said:

Good post.

These stats lead me to think that using shots as a proxy for possession is very much flawed.

As hockey is becoming more of a puck possession game than ever before, there may be a bit of a trend towards players unwilling to take "bad" shots; rather passing the puck around to create a better shooting opportunities. Any given player will assess variety of options. Obviously, if he is in a prime shooting area and he is open, he will shoot it more often than not. But when he is not in a prime shooting area, then they look to pass/cycle the puck and only choose to get a shot on net if that is the only safe option they have (i.e., will turn the puck over otherwise).

With a lead, you have less reason to shoot because bad shot results in a change in possession. When you have a lead, you want to play a keep away as long as possible, conserve energy while tiring the other team and score if something opens up. Hence, more selective shots are taken.

When you are trailing, as time winds down, you are just going to crash the net so throw the puck on net and swarm it with guys hopefully goalie gives up a rebound and your player is there to pick up the rebound. But obviously, this strategy has its risk because if your team doesn't pick up the rebound and you got 3 guys going in the wrong direction, the other team may go on an odd man rush the other way.

Conclusion: need a new metric for possession.

I'd like to see the Venn diagram of people who said the Canucks high shots for totals last year were meaningless because they were low quality chances and people who are saying that the high shot totals against this year means that their success is somehow meaningless.

I'd bet there's a lot of the same people in the crossover of those two circles.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Canucks were slightly off sync last night but man what a game

They had so many grade A chances or sure fire goals (had the pass been accurate or shooter didnt whiff) 

They need to keep the fire going and cant relax knowing they can beat teams without playing their best. 

I agree, for the first 25 mins of the game, then then they picked it up and took it to the Habs.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Canucks were slightly off sync last night but man what a game. 

This is what I take from this game.  When you look back at it, it really does show how far the Canucks have come.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1