The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Philly - Van (Proposal/Discussion)

KKnight

9 hours ago, KKnight said:

To Philly: Brock Boeser 

To Van: Ivan Provorov 

Flame away. 

Aside from the fact that the Flyers won’t trade Provorov for Brock, the Canucks should only trade Brock if they are able to re-sign Toffoli, and they should only be trading Brock to clear cap space (in order to have enough money to sign Pettersson and Hughes).

If the Canucks sign Toffoli, trade Brock to Minnesota for one of their firsts (the Wild have two firsts), and a good prospect.   That would allow the Canucks to recoup the first that they lost in the Miller deal, and Madden whom they lost in the Toffoli deal......all the while, clearing some essential cap space.

Edited by DarkIndianRises
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Aside from the fact that the Flyers won’t trade Provorov for Brock, the Canucks should only trade Brock if they are able to re-sign Toffoli, and they should only be trading Brock to clear cap space (in order to have enough money to sign Pettersson and Hughes).

If the Canucks sign Toffoli, trade Brock to Minnesota for one of their firsts (the Wild have two firsts), and a good prospect.   That would allow the Canucks to recoup the first that they lost in the Miller deal, and Madden whom they lost in the Toffoli deal......all the while, clearing some essential cap space.

Or even better we dump Loui, Sutter, and Baer (yup it will hurt our prospect pool) and use those cap dollars to keep Tofu and Bess.  

Bess

Tofu

Jake

That’s a really strong right wing. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Or even better we dump Loui, Sutter, and Baer (yup it will hurt our prospect pool) and use those cap dollars to keep Tofu and Bess.  

Bess

Tofu

Jake

I do agree. This isnt a trade i would necessarily think about this offseason. But next, i would consider offering it. Podkolzin could replace some of the scoring in 2021-2022. Provorov would legitimately give us one of the best defense cores in the league. Provorov, Hughes, Myers and Tanev. With Edler getting older, i think this could be an important piece for the core going forward. Saying this, they most likely wouldnt do it, but i was just spit balling. 

Expansion Protection:

Pete

Miller

Bo

Toffoli

Virtanen

Gauds

Ferland

Provorov

Myers

Tanev or Barrie

Demko

Hughes would be exempt if i am not mistaken.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Bess

Tofu

Jake

Hopefully, the Canucks and Eriksson already have a handshake agreement where Eriksson will retire in July once he gets his bonus.

Sutter and Baertschi will likely be traded at the end of the Summer when other teams have signed their main players and can add in some supplementary pieces.   Both players will likely require 50% retention.   I think the Canucks will also move Jordie Benn (zero retention) to a team that could use some defensive depth.

I think the Canucks will move on from Stecher (replaced with Rafferty), and will bring back Tryamkin.   They will then decide between Tanev or Barrie (I think Barrie will be Benning’s first choice).

As far as Boeser AND Toffoli both being here goes, I would love to see it happen obviously, but I can’t see it.   Hughes and Pettersson will likely require between 17 and 20 million in freed up cap space.   

14 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

It's getting really annoying that some posters are over hyping and over valuing Madden.

He's 150lbs

1-5-0 

He will never be more valuable than:

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Toffoli 

Ferland Gaudette Virtanen 

Podkolzin Hoglander 

Where does a 150lb madden play on the Canucks roster?

Yes, he is a solid prospect. No he is not irreplaceable nor a type of player that you cannot acquire via trade or signing

Any takers: Linus Karlsson will have a better professional hockey career then Tyler Madden.

1 hour ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

It's getting really annoying that some posters are over hyping and over valuing Madden.

He's 150lbs

1-5-0 

He will never be more valuable than:

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Toffoli 

Ferland Gaudette Virtanen 

Podkolzin Hoglander 

Where does a 150lb madden play on the Canucks roster?

Yes, he is a solid prospect. No he is not irreplaceable nor a type of player that you cannot acquire via trade or signing

Any takers: Linus Karlsson will have a better professional hockey career then Tyler Madden.

Agree with what you’re saying to some extent, but many respectable hockey pundits have Madden as being one of the top prospects in the world.    

Be that as it may, the Canucks need to keep filling the pipeline (if the Canucks, or any team for that matter, want to avoid falling off a cliff when their core gets too old or has cap problems for instance........you remember what happened to the Canucks in 2014 right?).

Regardless of what you think of Madden, the Canucks gave up a 1st rounder in the Miller deal and a top prospect in the Toffoli deal.   Trading Boeser would allow us to recoup both of these assets, while also giving us much needed cap space to sign Pettersson and Hughes in the Summer of 2021.