The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] 31 Thoughts - Canucks edit

Rate this topic

Ossi Vaananen

Full article: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-joe-thornton-toronto-maple-leafs-kyle-dubas/

Canucks tidbits:

6. The Maple Leafs made it clear they weren’t trading Tyson Barrie unless they received two things: a good-enough replacement to keep them in playoff position until currently injured reinforcements arrived, and a sweetener for the future. They would have taken Troy Stecher, but the Canucks didn’t have the picks and made it very clear certain prospects were not available. Ergo, no match. Toronto was also looking for more of a Kevin Shattenkirk circa 2017 return than, say, a third-rounder. That’s right out of the Brian Burke school of managing: don’t make a trade for less than you want, because everyone knows you’ll eventually cave.

7. Very, very impressed with the way Stecher handled things. Strong performances amidst the rumours. Told reporters that, as a B.C. lad, he wants to be a Canuck and then walked the walk.

“I had a friend send me a fake tweet the other day and it scared me a bit,” he said. “It was a fake account, a burner account, and he fell for it.”

The Canucks lost Ben Hutton last season because they couldn’t handle his qualifying offer and that could happen with Stecher in June. If he plays this way, he won’t need to worry.

Canucks shopped Stecher for Barrie, concerned they won't be able to qualify him. I'm glad we walked, it seems there's certain prospects Benning absolutely won't part with. Did Madden not make that cut?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If Stecher is willing to sign at/close to Benn money, I'd welcome him back with open arms and move Benn this summer.

Problem with that is that he's likely worth closer to $2.5-$3m on the open market.

That or Tanev has to not be re-signed.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Full article: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-joe-thornton-toronto-maple-leafs-kyle-dubas/

Canucks tidbits:

Canucks shopped Stecher for Barrie, concerned they won't be able to qualify him. I'm glad we walked, it seems there's certain prospects Benning absolutely won't part with. Did Madden not make that cut?

Clearly not.  I'm also wondering if maybe management was worried about losing him for nothing.  A guy of his size might just decide to stick in school a while longer and end up as a FA.

33 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If Stecher is willing to sign at/close to Benn money, I'd welcome him back with open arms and move Benn this summer.

Problem with that is that he's likely worth closer to $2.5-$3m on the open market.

That or Tanev has to not be re-signed.

Stecher is an RFA so Canucks shouldnt have to pay open market prices. We will likely sign him for the qualifying offer price, which is around 2.3 I believe.  

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Stecher is an RFA so Canucks shouldnt have to pay open market prices. We will likely sign him for the qualifying offer price, which is around 2.3 I believe.  

While this is true, he also has arbitration rights that would likely land him in the fair market prices I was referring to (or potentially, even higher).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

While this is true, he also has arbitration rights that would likely land him in the fair market prices I was referring to (or potentially, even higher).

Not sure he would get much more than the minimum in arbitration as a bottom pairing D man, tough to tell.  

33 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Pretty sure Benning took calls on Stecher, didn’t “shop” him

At least that what I made out of the post deadline interview.

People take this stuff to seriously sometimes

Funny how you criticize my use of 'shop' while you can't spell 'too'. It's a discussion board, things will be discussed, i'm not sure anyone is taking it 'to seriously'. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Not sure he would get much more than the minimum in arbitration as a bottom pairing D man, tough to tell.  

He's played closer to 2nd pair minutes both lately (as the season ramps up to playoffs) and historically. He'd get more than his QO in arb.

I could see Troy signing something like a 10 mil total, 4 year deal to be able to stay home and be part of the run. 

I love Tanev, but this years an anomaly and he won't age like wine. Can a right side of Myers, Stecher and Rafferty really be a competitive right side..... I think we get a chance to find out. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

It's hard to say. The minimum QO would be 15% above what he's making now, roughly 2.67m. It's not expensive but do we want that in a 3rd pairing guy? 

I also think Troy could look at how Hutton's situation was handled, in as much as he had to wait most of the summer to sign with a different team for half of what he was making. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Funny how you criticize my use of 'shop' while you can't spell 'too'. It's a discussion board, things will be discussed, i'm not sure anyone is taking it 'to seriously'. 

It’s an iPhone buddy and I’m not criticizing you in particular. It’s the whole thing with the rumours and the TDL. Media was saying JB was shopping Stecher because he obviously can’t have other Ben Hutton situation in the minds of some.

Would it make you feel better if I didn’t have an opinion and just said Great Post

PS There’s some autocorrect in there if you’d like to pick away

Edited by Devron44

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Toronto was also looking for more of a Kevin Shattenkirk circa 2017 return than, say, a third-rounder. That’s right out of the Brian Burke school of managing: don’t make a trade for less than you want, because everyone knows you’ll eventually cave.

Lol what a joke, yeah don't cave and lose him for nothing, that'll show everyone!

• Haha 3