The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] 31 Thoughts - Canucks edit

Rate this topic

Ossi Vaananen

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Tanev decides to not re-sign with Vancouver, Benning will be sure to grab a right handed defenseman either through trade or free agency that will compliment Hughes as well or better than Tanev has. It wouldn't hurt to give Quinn a fairly aggressive d-partner who'll punish douches like Domi for taking liberties.

When Quinn was slammed to the ice by Domi, watching Tanev skate away wasn't good from an optics point of view.

I'm with you there Phil. 

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's played closer to 2nd pair minutes both lately (as the season ramps up to playoffs) and historically. He'd get more than his QO in arb.

While the last few games he has played closer to 2nd pair minutes; his season average TOI is 15:12. That's the lowest of his career by a full 3 and a half minutes. He's also on pace for his 2nd lowest point total, shots, and 2nd worst advanced stats (relative corsi/fenwick) in his career (however he is getting his highest share of defensive zone starts in his career). So outside of the last 4 or so games, this season has only been better than his sophomore year. His rookie season and last year were better than his performance this year overall. 

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

But Friedman was praising Dubas not Benning - Barrie will walk and they'll lose him for nothing.  

yup. 

It happens. We're going to likely lose at least one UFA next year too. The problem with this years TDL is Doobie set his price too high. 

50 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Tanev decides to not re-sign with Vancouver, Benning will be sure to grab a right handed defenseman either through trade or free agency that will compliment Hughes as well or better than Tanev has. It wouldn't hurt to give Quinn a fairly aggressive d-partner who'll punish douches like Domi for taking liberties.

When Quinn was slammed to the ice by Domi, watching Tanev skate away wasn't good from an optics point of view.

I'd like to see Tryamkin play with Hughes for a bit this year when he comes over to see what we have. Tryamkin could fill in Tanev's shoes fine nicely next year then we don't have to bring in help from the outside to replace Tanev in case he walks. Then it wouldn't be a huge loss if Tanev walks either. Plus we have some dmen knocking at the door such as Juolevi, Rafferty and Rathbone, I'd like to see them get some time with the big club if not this year, then next year for sure.

EDIT: That's not to say that they might not go out and try to find outside help, and I would get it if they want to shore up the depth, but I'd like to see them look internally before spending assets.

Edited by Vanuckles

2 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

While the last few games he has played closer to 2nd pair minutes; his season average TOI is 15:12. That's the lowest of his career by a full 3 and a half minutes. He's also on pace for his 2nd lowest point total, shots, and 2nd worst advanced stats (relative corsi/fenwick) in his career (however he is getting his highest share of defensive zone starts in his career). So outside of the last 4 or so games, this season has only been better than his sophomore year. His rookie season and last year were better than his performance this year overall. 

So basically what I said with more detail ;)

Again, He'll get more than his QO offer in arb. Based on both recent and historical play, TOI, stats etc.

10 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

I'd like to see Tryamkin play with Hughes for a bit this year when he comes over to see what we have. Tryamkin could fill in Tanev's shoes fine nicely next year then we don't have to bring in help from the outside to replace Tanev in case he walks. Then it wouldn't be a huge loss if Tanev walks either. Plus we have some dmen knocking at the door such as Juolevi, Rafferty and Rathbone, I'd like to see them get some time with the big club if not this year, then next year for sure.

EDIT: That's not to say that they might not go out and try to find outside help, and I would get it if they want to shore up the depth, but I'd like to see them look internally before spending assets.

In that case I hope Hughes picks up Russian quick because Tryamkin's English is .......

In the worst case scenario, Fantenberg and Luke Schenn will be (re)signed as Hughes' partner. 

Edited by Maddogy
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Madden is tiny. He needs to put on weight to be Gaudeau. He doesn't fit Green's system. 

OR he's the second coming of Mike Peca (minus the 5'10" 180lb oblitering open ice hits).  The league is getting smaller and faster.  His Dad wasn't much bigger when he filled in - you just never know.   Madden isn't big - QH isn't either.   Neither is Stetcher for that matter yet TO would have pulled the gun on rental for Barrie if we'd have opened the bank (the bank of course another good prospect and or picks).  Way too early to know how this will all shake out.  Maybe Motte will be his ceiling.  Maybe something else or maybe he will get some games (which he will undoubtedly get in LA) and wilt away.  

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Lol what a joke, yeah don't cave and lose him for nothing, that'll show everyone!

I remember JB getting flack about not trading Hamhuis… which was still a good move in my opinion, considering the offers were pretty bad.

I feel like the case with Barrie is that the Leafs wanted too much, rather than not getting offered anything good.

Madden is tiny. He needs to put on weight to be Gaudeau. He doesn't fit Green's system. 

OR he's the second coming of Mike Peca (minus the 5'10" 180lb oblitering open ice hits).  The league is getting smaller and faster.  His Dad wasn't much bigger when he filled in - you just never know.   Madden isn't big - QH isn't either.   Neither is Stetcher for that matter yet TO would have pulled the gun on rental for Barrie if we'd have opened the bank (the bank of course another good prospect and or picks).  Way too early to know how this will all shake out.  Maybe Motte will be his ceiling.  Maybe something else or maybe he will get some games (which he will undoubtedly get in LA) and wilt away.  

2 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

it seems there's certain prospects Benning absolutely won't part with. Did Madden not make that cut?

Can likely trace this back to the comments made a while ago where JB identified (not necessarily named) as many as 7 prospects as being withing a year or two of making the team. 

2 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

it seems there's certain prospects Benning absolutely won't part with. Did Madden not make that cut?

Can likely trace this back to the comments made a while ago where JB identified (not necessarily named) as many as 7 prospects as being withing a year or two of making the team. 

19 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

I can't see Green breaking up Tanev and Hughes right now. They compliment each other far too well to mess with. I, too, would like to see what Tryamkin looks like with Hughes, but until I hear of his actual (and factual) return to the Canucks, I hope that Jim has his sights on various targets, which I believe he does, based on his shrewd trades for Miller and Toffoli.

• Like 1

IMO JB likely accepted the concept that Madden was going to stay in school until he’s a UFA.  There’s no spot for him here for one.  And two he needs to physically mature, so he can compete for a spot on any team.  Better he spends that time in college, than getting killed and riding buses for 70,000 in the AHL.  I think Madden comes out early now that he’s a King.  Way more chance to stick on that club than here.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

IMO JB likely accepted the concept that Madden was going to stay in school until he’s a UFA.  There’s no spot for him here for one.  And two he needs to physically mature, so he can compete for a spot on any team.  Better he spends that time in college, than getting killed and riding buses for 70,000 in the AHL.  I think Madden comes out early now that he’s a King.  Way more chance to stick on that club than here.  

I think he goes free agent and signs with Chicago. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

So basically what I said with more detail ;)

Again, He'll get more than his QO offer in arb. Based on both recent and historical play, TOI, stats etc.

No, I was dissagreeing. Based on career low ice time and a regression in play from last year, he likely won't get more in arb that the QO.

Edited by MattJVD

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Lol what a joke, yeah don't cave and lose him for nothing, that'll show everyone!

It is to help with future negotiations.  If you come out and say "I want a 1st + B prospect for Player Y" and then, when faced with a deadline, end up trading Player Y for a 2nd or 3rd round pick it screws you later on because everyone knows that if they hold out on you they will get your asset for cheap.  That leverage probably has more value than a 3rd round pick ever will.

Same reasoning for not giving Hamhuis away a few years back.