The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] 31 Thoughts - Canucks edit

Rate this topic

Ossi Vaananen

32 minutes ago, Vicky said:

To be fair, Canucks have a history of making d-men punch above their weight due to the number of injuries they've dealt with.  This year-just spitballing, haven't run the numbers- he's probably playing at the appropriate amount of ice time.  Reduced minutes likely account for less shots/points.  He might not be having his best year but probably not bad for third pair?

Oh yeah, I think he's a great 3rd pair d-man. I was making that argument to suggest he likely won't be getting north of $2,557,500 (his qualifying offer) in arbitration.

Edit, I now realize that the 10% raise is only guaranteed if the contract is under 1 mil, so the QO is at 2.325 mil. He may get a modest raise on that. 

Edited by MattJVD
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Tanev decides to not re-sign with Vancouver, Benning will be sure to grab a right handed defenseman either through trade or free agency that will compliment Hughes as well or better than Tanev has. It wouldn't hurt to give Quinn a fairly aggressive d-partner who'll punish douches like Domi for taking liberties.

When Quinn was slammed to the ice by Domi, watching Tanev skate away wasn't good from an optics point of view.

I agree.  The perfect partner for Quinn.  What will it take to get him?

giphy444.gif

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Tanev is wearing shin guards that were specially designed for him.  They seem to be working.

Other than that, perhaps it's luck that he hasn't taken a puck in the yap or hand so far this year

oh, thats neat. I didn't realize he was wearing something like that. I think it mostly has to do with the puck moving out of our zone more often than not with Quinn. Tanev sure took a beating in our d zone for the last few years. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

If Hughes can't handle a mild cross check to the back, he won't last long in the league.  He's going to get that multiple times every single game going forward and the team isn't going to jump opposing players every time it happens.

He's a smart kid, he'll be fine.

Mild cross check? Domi’s check was a little more than a mild cross check. Unless you think Hughes sold it a tad. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

oh, thats neat. I didn't realize he was wearing something like that. I think it mostly has to do with the puck moving out of our zone more often than not with Quinn. Tanev sure took a beating in our d zone for the last few years. 

For sure, but man did he ever had some bad luck too. When it comes to zone exits, Quinn is a god, but Tanev has been so unlucky over the years.

Some of his injuries, and the timing of them, epitomize misfortune. I really don't want to jinx anything, but he's been pretty lucky on the ol Chris Tanev scale this year.

Edit - check this $&!#, Jimmy - 

http://www.sportsforecaster.com/nhl/player/8604/trans

Edited by luckylager

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Friedman is Dubas’ bitch puppet.  He has to say good stuff about Dubas, or he loses any contact with the Leaf’s organization, which is his meal ticket.  Remember these are hockey writers, and not reporters.  They are kind of in the same category as ambulance chasing lawyers and chiropractors.  

Under that kindly, furry exterior there lurks the heart of a truly .... 

9427F02E-701E-4E7F-A762-5912B24324F1.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Mild cross check? Domi’s check was a little more than a mild cross check. Unless you think Hughes sold it a tad. 

I don't think he sold it, at all.  He wasn't expecting, he was off balance and it caught him in an unpadded area.  I think the fall into the boards was probably more painful.

Hughes is going to get those every game now.

23 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Parayko? 

Probably Boeser. 

P.S. I would LOVE Parayko.

I’d trade Boes for Parayko in a heartbeat. Like you, I absolutely love what Parayko brings. He’s exactly the type of defenceman this club needs.

Edited by Pickly

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

There is zero chance we sign Barrie.  He’s going to follow the Jake Gardiner path and sign with a team for a discount in hopes o& resurrecting his career after being so horrible in TO. 

That is the exact scenario where we might sigh him. Sure ain't breaking the bank there...

10 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Clearly not, nor should he. We have enough prospects ahead of him on the depth chart and we were in a position to deal one to get some reinforcements. Really good trade.

Also kind of glad we didn't get Barrie. We have an offensive stud in Hughes and Stecher is a lot better defensively than Barrie which will help more in the playoffs. We have Myers as well as Edler who are all puck moving Dmen. No need for Barrie. Hope we don't go after him this summer either - no cap anyways.

We had 2 prospects ahead of him on the depth chart. Pod and Hog. Who else was ahead of him? Madden was a stud and you wouldn't say any of that if he was still here.

Also, I'm sure Madden was on the list of no trade prospects - for Barrie. The Madden trade was made for Toffoli, who is of significantly higher value which is why we are fine with it.

Edited by Grape
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I don't think he sold it, at all.  He wasn't expecting, he was off balance and it caught him in an unpadded area.  I think the fall into the boards was probably more painful.

Hughes is going to get those every game now.

That has to be addressed. Why increase the frequency of the possibility of injury?

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That has to be addressed. Why increase the frequency of the possibility of injury?

Addressed how?  Jump guys and go on the pk every time he takes a crosscheck?  That's not a very good formula for getting into the playoffs.

He'll learn how to avoid those kinds of plays a little better as he gains experience.  

Edited by stawns

51 minutes ago, Grape said:

We had 2 prospects ahead of him on the depth chart. Pod and Hog. Who else was ahead of him? Madden was a stud and you wouldn't say any of that if he was still here.

Also, I'm sure Madden was on the list of no trade prospects - for Barrie. The Madden trade was made for Toffoli, who is of significantly higher value which is why we are fine with it.

I say OJ and Rafferty are definitely ahead of him and Lind probably pushed himself into that higher category this year too.

51 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

When asked about EP having to deal with the physical side of the game, the Sedins said that he's going to have to learn to deal with it by himself. Because that's exactly what they had to go through and learn to deal with themselves. 

Having said that, I do like the fact that our players are starting to show up more with some push back. And we obviously need that as a team.