Sign in to follow this  
janisahockeynut

Doing the math (Discussion)

Well, before getting into this proposal, I would like to say that, if everything is equal, I would love to stay status quo. I would love to keep, our depth, all our forwards, defensemen and our goalies too. To me it looks like a team, that could possibly go deep into the playoffs, on a yearly basis. But with expiring contracts, cap implications, and graduations, there may not be a spot for everyone, and some may have to go.

Now aside from the obvious veterans that will need to be moved/let go/retire etc (Ericksson, Baertschi, Sutter, Roussel = $16,700,000) there are other question that will need to be answered in the not to distant future.

Now, first off, my premise is that the cap will look like this in the next 2 years...….2019-2020 $81,500,00  /  2020-2021 $84,000,000  /  2021-2022 $87,000,000

Yes, there is talk of the cap being flat for a couple of years, but, IMO I don't think it stops going up. So looking at our Cap after moving these 4 players off it, gives us a 

Cap surplus of approx. $20,000,000 next year, minus any players coming in to take their places...……..For this exercise, I will be re-signing Toffoli, Markstrom and Tanev,

Gaudette and Virtanen

Toffoli will go from...……………….$4,600,000 to $6,250,000...………………...an increase of $1,650,000

Markstrom will go from...………….$3,666,667 to $6,000,000...………………...an increase of $2,333,333

Tanev will go from...……………….$4,450,000 to $6,000,000...………………...an increase of $1,550,000

Virtanen will go from...…………….$1,250,000 to $2,750,000...……………...…an increase of $1,500,000

Gaudette will go from...……………$916,667 to $1,500,000...…………………..an increase of $583,333

Tryamkin will be signed for            $2,500,000...................................................an increase of $2,500,000

..........................................................................................................Totalling an increase of $10,066,666

For the year of 2020 -2020 before increases and after subtracting the 4 veterans and adding the Cap Increase, we will be at $ 74,000,000,

which will allow us a $10,000,000 Cap Cushion, Which should be held for the next year, when both Pettersson and Hughes will need re-signing 

This allotment does not allow for Motte Leivo, and McEwen's small increases....and does not allow for Stecher to be re-signed, who will be traded, if history repeats itself.

So, if ridding of Stechers contract ($2,235,000), the total Cap will be in the area of $12,300,000

If moving Benn out, the difference will be approx. $1,000,000 and will increase the Cap surplus to approx. $13,300,000

The Spooner buyout will be over, saving us a further $1,033,000 giving us an approx. Cap surplus of $14,366,000 "IF" all went according to plan

We now have to re-sign Pettersson, Hughes, Pearson, and Demko

So, as much as we would all like to keep Toffoli and Pearson, one will more than likely have to go, and we would still be very tight.....................

But I still hope we re-sign Toffoli

Here is our 2020-2021 Line-up as I suggested above (Nothing in stone, that is for sure!) Protected in Bold

Miller    -     Pettersson     -      Toffoli

Pearson   -   Horvat    -     Boeser

Leivo     -    Gaudette    -    Virtanen

Motte    -     Beagle    -     MacEwen                 Graovac/Ferland

Edler   -    Myers

Hughes*   -   Tanev

Juolevi    -    Tryamkin*

Fattenberg  -  Rafferty^                                    Brisebois

Markstrom

Demko

Whether you agree with my line-up or not, the one thing that really sticks out is the Expansion draft, and who we would leave exposed. Also, I am wondering how realistic it is to think we could move those 4 players all in one summer....(Eriksson, Baertschi, Sutter, and Roussel)....These are suggestions by CDC???? So, down the road (2021-2022 season), if we can get past that hump relatively intact, we should be good!

What are your thoughts? Was the math close? Did I forget anyone?

PS.......I do acknowledge I was light on Rookies, but they should be on line, in the 2021-2022 season.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

There are a few issues with your math.

-  We are currently over this year's cap by around $5 million, so your calculation starts that much in the hole and you can't just add increases like that

- We will have approx $1.7 million in pushed ELC bonuses into next year
- The GMs were told in the Dec BOG meeting that the cap is going to effectively be flat... a couple said they are working on the assumption of a $82.5 million cap

- It is almost impossible to get rid of those veteran contracts.  We couldn't even get rid of Baertschi's fairly modest money this deadline 

- We have to assume ELC bonuses for next year of $3-4 million, and absolutely can't afford for those to push into the 2021-22 season when we are paying new contracts for Petterson and Hughes.

So, we have less than $18 million in cap space next year with 13 players signed. (assuming there is a decent ceiling bump to $83 million minus the $1.7 in ELC overages making it almost a wash).

The guys signed for a total of $63.5 million, leaving a little under $18 million left with the above assumptions and needing to sign 10 players.

Miller- Petterson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-
Roussel-Gaudette-Sutter

Eriksson-Beagle-

Edler-Myers

Hughes-

Benn-

Demko

Add Markstrom @ $5.75

Add Tanev @ $5

Add Virtanen @ $2,75

Add Gaudette @ $1.5

Just those 4 players is $15 million, leaving $3 million to sign 6 more players to fill the roster which isn't enough even for league minimum guys... it certainly isn't enough to leave the ELC bonus wiggle room for next year to avoid pushing those.  It is also subtracting Toffoli, Stecher, Tryamkin, and anyone who would command more than league minimum..

Benning's new mantra is "we are going to have to make some decisions on players in the summer", which is code for we are going to have to trade away good value players to keep under the cap or not re-sign expiring guys.  

Edited by Provost
  • Hydration 1
  • Sedinery 1

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

Benning's new mantra is "we are going to have to make some decisions on players in the summer", which is code for we are going to have to trade away good value players to keep under the cap or not re-sign expiring guys.  

pretty much. I think part of this is the team became competitive a year faster than anyone expected. Hughes and Petey sped up the rebuild. 

So its inevitable that Jim has to give away another good prospect to shed Sutter. We can buy out Baer. If Loui can be convinced to retire well that would be ideal. But he can be moved as well for a price. 

Yes it sucks to lose prospects, but on the other hand we do have some to lose and the team we will have will already be competitive. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

pretty much. I think part of this is the team became competitive a year faster than anyone expected. Hughes and Petey sped up the rebuild. 

So its inevitable that Jim has to give away another good prospect to shed Sutter. We can buy out Baer. If Loui can be convinced to retire well that would be ideal. But he can be moved as well for a price. 

Yes it sucks to lose prospects, but on the other hand we do have some to lose and the team we will have will already be competitive. 

Yep honestly to me, any futures aside from Hoglander and Podkolzin are fair game if it allows us to not get worse over the next two seasons by having to ditch useful and good contract value players.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Yep honestly to me, any futures aside from Hoglander and Podkolzin are fair game if it allows us to not get worse over the next two seasons by having to ditch useful and good contract value players.

man I'd hate to lose Rathbone tho, I'd probably put him on the no-touch list as well. But that still leaves a lot of quality prospects. 

Its going to be painful, far more than losing Madden. But theres really no other solution. I'm hoping that Loui has some sense of wanting to leave something on the table and not hamstring the team but it is a businesses. Jim is treating him very very well tho, so maybe it will be reciprocal. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

What are your thoughts?                                                                                        

To me, there are simply too many variables in play to accurately project a possible line-up for next year or beyond. 

JB has said many times in the past they have a cap-plan in place - he's given me no reason in the past to doubt him on this. 

• Hydration 1

34 minutes ago, Provost said:

-  We are currently over this year's cap by around $5 million, so your calculation starts that much in the hole and you can't just add increases like that

- The GMs were told in the Dec BOG meeting that the cap is going to effectively be flat... a couple said they are working on the assumption of a $82.5 million cap

- It is almost impossible to get rid of those veteran contracts.  We couldn't even get rid of Baertschi's fairly modest money this deadline 

- We have to assume ELC bonuses for next year of $3-4 million, and absolutely can't afford for those to push into the 2021-22 season when we are paying new contracts for Petterson and Hughes.

So, we have less than $18 million in cap space next year with 13 players signed. (assuming there is a decent ceiling bump to $83 million minus the $1.7 in ELC overages making it almost a wash).

The guys signed for a total of $63.5 million, leaving a little under $18 million left with the above assumptions and needing to sign 10 players.

Miller- Petterson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-
Roussel-Gaudette-Sutter

Eriksson-Beagle-

Edler-Myers

Hughes-

Benn-

Demko

Add Markstrom @ $5.75

Add Tanev @ $5

Add Virtanen @ $2,75

Add Gaudette @ $1.5

Just those 4 players is $15 million, leaving $3 million to sign 6 more players to fill the roster which isn't enough even for league minimum guys... it certainly isn't enough to leave the ELC bonus wiggle room for next year to avoid pushing those.  It is also subtracting Toffoli, Stecher, Tryamkin, and anyone who would command more than league minimum..

Thank Provost...good post!

So, here are some trade offs that "Might" be part of the solution........

#1. Sign Toffoli...Trade Boeser.......no net gain, but Pageau got a 1st, a 2nd and a conditional 3rd...................................Boeser gets more

#2. Sign Tryamkin.........Trade Tanev........net gain! approx. 3 Million.......................return? Conditional 3rd that turns into a 2nd if re-signed

#3  Keep Demko...........Trade Markstrom....net gain approx. 3 Million...................return? Conditional 3rd that turns into a 2nd if re-signed

#4 IMO Eriksson either retires, or is traded with a prospect (not top 5) Lind/Jasek/Woo/DiPietro.......net gain 6.0 Million

#5........Baertschi and Stecher for futures...........net gain 5.6 Million

#6........Sutter............for 4th.net gain 4.375 Million

#7........Roussel.........for a 5th. net gain 3.0 million

So, I think there are many ways, Benning could move the needle.............it will be interesting!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Thank Provost...good post!

So, here are some trade offs that "Might" be part of the solution........

#1. Sign Toffoli...Trade Boeser.......no net gain, but Pageau got a 1st, a 2nd and a conditional 3rd...................................Boeser gets more

#2. Sign Tryamkin.........Trade Tanev........net gain! approx. 3 Million.......................return? Conditional 3rd that turns into a 2nd if re-signed

#3  Keep Demko...........Trade Markstrom....net gain approx. 3 Million...................return? Conditional 3rd that turns into a 2nd if re-signed

#4 IMO Eriksson either retires, or is traded with a prospect (not top 5) Lind/Jasek/Woo/DiPietro.......net gain 6.0 Million

#5........Baertschi and Stecher for futures...........net gain 5.6 Million

#6........Sutter............for 4th.net gain 4.375 Million

#7........Roussel.........for a 5th. net gain 3.0 million

So, I think there are many ways, Benning could move the needle.............it will be interesting!

Yep, we could get a big haul for Boeser

We probably don't rely on a bunch of no experience guys on D... but Boeser could return a top 4 guy

If we sign Markstrom, Demko could probably be used to get rid of a big bad contract

Eriksson will cost a lot to get rid of... but we just have to do it.

Sutter you are probably about right on, we can move him

Roussel probably isn't going anywhere
Virtanen could also be sent out I think for a good return and/or shedding cap space.

There are a few options, but we just have to do them. 

• Hydration 1

If the Canucks can rid themselves of Sutter, Eriksson, and Baertchi before the start of the season Canucks will be looking really good. They need to nudge Loui into retirement, and Sutter/Baertchi will be one one year deals, they should be able to trade them with assets included. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

Other than the points Provost has pointed out. Virtanen is on pace for 24 goals 46 points, and you guys think he will take a 2.75mil contract. 

Edited by Drakrami

7 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Other than the points Provost has pointed out. Virtanen is on pace for 24 goals 46 points, and you guys think he will take a 2.75mil contract. 

He also has arbitration rights and is 2 years to UFA.  His agent might file to increase his leverage in negotiations.  

10 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Can we just qualify him?  

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, before getting into this proposal, I would like to say that, if everything is equal, I would love to stay status quo. I would love to keep, our depth, all our forwards, defensemen and our goalies too. To me it looks like a team, that could possibly go deep into the playoffs, on a yearly basis. But with expiring contracts, cap implications, and graduations, there may not be a spot for everyone, and some may have to go.

Now aside from the obvious veterans that will need to be moved/let go/retire etc (Ericksson, Baertschi, Sutter, Roussel = $16,700,000) there are other question that will need to be answered in the not to distant future.

Now, first off, my premise is that the cap will look like this in the next 2 years...….2019-2020 $81,500,00  /  2020-2021 $84,000,000  /  2021-2022 $87,000,000

Yes, there is talk of the cap being flat for a couple of years, but, IMO I don't think it stops going up. So looking at our Cap after moving these 4 players off it, gives us a 

Cap surplus of approx. $20,000,000 next year, minus any players coming in to take their places...……..For this exercise, I will be re-signing Toffoli, Markstrom and Tanev,

Gaudette and Virtanen

Toffoli will go from...……………….$4,600,000 to $6,250,000...………………...an increase of $1,650,000

Markstrom will go from...………….$3,666,667 to $6,000,000...………………...an increase of $2,333,333

Tanev will go from...……………….$4,450,000 to $6,000,000...………………...an increase of $1,550,000

Virtanen will go from...…………….$1,250,000 to $2,750,000...……………...…an increase of $1,500,000

Gaudette will go from...……………$916,667 to $1,500,000...…………………..an increase of $583,333

Tryamkin will be signed for            $2,500,000...................................................an increase of $2,500,000

..........................................................................................................Totalling an increase of $10,066,666

For the year of 2020 -2020 before increases and after subtracting the 4 veterans and adding the Cap Increase, we will be at $ 74,000,000,

which will allow us a $10,000,000 Cap Cushion, Which should be held for the next year, when both Pettersson and Hughes will need re-signing 

This allotment does not allow for Motte Leivo, and McEwen's small increases....and does not allow for Stecher to be re-signed, who will be traded, if history repeats itself.

So, if ridding of Stechers contract ($2,235,000), the total Cap will be in the area of $12,300,000

If moving Benn out, the difference will be approx. $1,000,000 and will increase the Cap surplus to approx. $13,300,000

The Spooner buyout will be over, saving us a further $1,033,000 giving us an approx. Cap surplus of $14,366,000 "IF" all went according to plan

So, as much as we would all like to keep Toffoli and Pearson, one will more than likely have to go, and we would still be very tight.....................

Here is our 2020-2021 Line-up as I suggested above (Nothing in stone, that is for sure!) Protected in Bold

Edler   -    Myers

Hughes*   -   Tanev

Markstrom

Demko

Whether you agree with my line-up or not, the one thing that really sticks out is the Expansion draft, and who we would leave exposed. Also, I am wondering how realistic it is to think we could move those 4 players all in one summer....(Eriksson, Baertschi, Sutter, and Roussel)....These are suggestions by CDC???? So, down the road (2021-2022 season), if we can get past that hump relatively intact, we should be good!

PS.......I do acknowledge I was light on Rookies, but they should be on line, in the 2021-2022 season.

I did some of this math here:

It's tricky trying to figure out the Canucks next year. We will be tight against the cap, no way around it. I play with the Arm-chair GM feature of Capfriendly daily and I've really only been able to boil it down to a few things:

- $6m must be set aside for Gaudette and Virtanen. No matter how they split it, we need a bridge on Gaudette and to price Virtanen around a 20 goal-scorer range hopefully buying UFA years cheap

- Something must happen with Ferland, if it's retirement we free up his cap, if it's LTIR we wait until the season starts before freeing up that cap. At least that's how I understand it

- Rafferty is making the squad next year, if only because his $700k one-way is as cheap as it gets. We could do something similar with MacEwen taking 4LW/13F.

That's all before hoping for any trades that would involve a cap dump. People say we could move Baertschi or Benn easily, but even then it would be a contract coming back or adding picks we don't have. And no, saying 'Benning will solve it' is not a sufficient answer. I think there's an outside shot of Eriksson terminating after his signing bonus, but still unlikely. It's reasonable to think a team might want to acquire Sutter or Stecher, the former a capable 3C, the latter still an RFA. 

I’m wondering if a deal may be able to be done with BUF in the off season.

They literally only have four Forwards signed in 2020/21 and $34m in cap space. They could definitely use some NHL players to fill out their roster without giving up any assets.

We may be able to swing a deal such as:

Sutter (after signing bonus paid)

Eriksson (after signing bonus paid)

Baer

Stecher RFA rights

for future considerations.

perhaps throw in a 3rd round pick.

Would require Sutts and LE to waive their NTCs.

BUF could use some vets like that in the short term to fill in while their youth develop. Stecher could be a good young piece for their blue line moving forward. Cap hit for Sutter + Eriksson + Baer would be $13.7m, but their salary is only $6.9m.

Additionally...

If JB needs to move Benn then perhaps Winnipeg is an option. They need cheap, reliable D as they only have 4 signed for next season and not much cap space to work with.

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Like 1

Edler will be UFA by the time expansion rolls around.  We do not need to protect him.

11 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

It's tricky trying to figure out the Canucks next year. We will be tight against the cap, no way around it. I play with the Arm-chair GM feature of Capfriendly daily and I've really only been able to boil it down to a few things:

- $6m must be set aside for Gaudette and Virtanen. No matter how they split it, we need a bridge on Gaudette and to price Virtanen around a 20 goal-scorer range hopefully buying UFA years cheap

- Something must happen with Ferland, if it's retirement we free up his cap, if it's LTIR we wait until the season starts before freeing up that cap. At least that's how I understand it

- Rafferty is making the squad next year, if only because his $700k one-way is as cheap as it gets. We could do something similar with MacEwen taking 4LW/13F.

That's all before hoping for any trades that would involve a cap dump. People say we could move Baertschi or Benn easily, but even then it would be a contract coming back or adding picks we don't have. And no, saying 'Benning will solve it' is not a sufficient answer. I think there's an outside shot of Eriksson terminating after his signing bonus, but still unlikely. It's reasonable to think a team might want to acquire Sutter or Stecher, the former a capable 3C, the latter still an RFA. 

If Ferland can't play would think it's IR rather than retirement and him giving up 9.5M in salary.

The uncertainty around Ferland's health adds another complexity to the Canucks' cap situation.  As long as Ferland can return to health and has not been deemed to have a career ending situation by league doctors, the Canucks are going to have to keep the cap available to re-activate him.  Dallas just kept Stephen Johns on IR for 22 months as he recovered from concussion like symptoms - he is now back playing.  

They might not know before training camp whether Ferland will play or not that upcoming season.  They can't just use up his 3.5M and assume that he won't return to health unless it's signed off by league doctors.  If the uncertainty carries into the off-season they will need to find his replacement, while also being comfortable to demote that player if he can play.  Only 1.075M can be buried in the minors so likely a 1M or so player just in case he can't play.  

Teams can use LTIR in the off-season.  There are 2 approaches to LTIR - get under the cap then put the player on LTIR, or go above the cap and then put the player on LTIR to get back under.  Toronto used the latter this season.

With LTIR in use the recall cap hit includes the potential performance bonus.  Juolevi's recall cap hit under LTIR next season is 1.713M vs 863K without LTIR in use.  Papering Hughes down to maximise the LTIR cap space under the 1st approach (he is waiver free) changes his notional cap hit from 916K to 1.6M while not banking cap space.  

There's a reason that teams with performance bonus players try and move out their LTIR contracts.  It's really not ideal with the Canucks looking to add ELC players to their roster.  It limits recall flexibility, doesn't allow to bank cap space and creates bonuses overages that carry over to the following season.  

Edited by mll
  • Hydration 1

12 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Gaudette and Virtanen

Edler   -    Myers

Hughes*   -   Tanev

Markstrom

Demko

Toffoli, a 2nd line rw will not be making more then Boeser or Horvat.

See J.T. Miller money but likely less.

If Tanev wants more then 5mill per I will drive him to the airport myself.

Virtanen, a 20g scorer will be getting closer to 3.5m per.

See Alex Tuch for comparable.

Gaudette will be making closer to 3m per

Roussell won't be going anywhere.

Especially with Ferland possibly retiring. Eriksson being moved,

Leivo walks to ufa,

Baertschi hopefully moved,

and perhaps Sutter is moved.

12 hours ago, Provost said:

Miller- Petterson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-
Roussel-Gaudette-Sutter

Eriksson-Beagle-

Edler-Myers

Hughes-

Benn-

Demko

Add Markstrom @ $5.75

Add Tanev @ $5

Add Virtanen @ $2,75

Add Gaudette @ $1.5

Not trying to nit pick, Eriksson Sutter and possibly benn hopefully moved out