The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Doing the math (Discussion)

As much as I like Tanev and as much as our Defense is our glaring weakness, I don't see how we can afford to re-sign him.  Giving our cap situation, I think he's the sacrifice we have to make.  Tanev is a pending UFA who's at the crossroad of the 30 years old mark.   He will be looking  for the last contract of his career.  Despite being healthy this year, how much longer can we expect him to continue to play at that level?  Brent Seabrook was his age when he signed that dreadful contract (and had a career year after that also) but the Blackhawks have never been the same since.  

I wouldn't offer more than 4 years, but honestly I'd prefer 3....but I don't see Tanev settling for less than 6 (maybe 5 with an NMC and a little extra AAV, which would be a mistake IMO).  I can't fathom that he will live up to such a contract and this could hamper the best years of Petersson.

Flame away but I'm ready to let him go.

Edited by timberz21
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, timberz21 said:

As much as I like Tanev and as much as our Defense is our glaring weakness, I don't see how we can afford to re-sign him.  Giving our cap situation, I think he's the sacrifice we have to make.  Tanev is a pending UFA who's at the crossroad of the 30 years old mark.   He will be looking  for the last contract of his career.  Despite being healthy this year, how much longer can we expect him to continue to play at that level?  Brent Seabrook was his age when he signed that dreadful contract (and had a career year after that also) but the Blackhawks have never been the same since.  

I wouldn't offer more than 4 years, but honestly I'd prefer 3....but I don't see Tanev settling for less than 6 (maybe 5 with an NMC and a little extra AAV, which would be a mistake IMO).  I can't fathom that he will live up to such a contract and this could hamper the best years of Petersson.

Flame away but I'm ready to let him go.

I see the logic in this, and agree that a greater than 4 year contract would not be beneficial to the team. If, and it's a fairly big if, we can get him signed to a 3 year contract for reasonable $$, then I see Stetcher being a cap casualty. Tanev has missed 147 games since the 2012-13 season...really close to 2 full seasons. Hopefully, this is actually a good thing for his legs, not as much wear and tear, as not all of the injuries have been to joints, (like the puck to his face that cost him a bunch of teeth!).

51 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

I see the logic in this, and agree that a greater than 4 year contract would not be beneficial to the team. If, and it's a fairly big if, we can get him signed to a 3 year contract for reasonable $$, then I see Stetcher being a cap casualty. Tanev has missed 147 games since the 2012-13 season...really close to 2 full seasons. Hopefully, this is actually a good thing for his legs, not as much wear and tear, as not all of the injuries have been to joints, (like the puck to his face that cost him a bunch of teeth!).

I just don't see how we don't resign him. If anything, look at Hughes' numbers this year. he is doing remarkable things because he is an amazing player, but don't discount the fact that Tanev provides a steady presence and stay at home style that allows QH to roam and get involved. Not to mention, Tanev is on pace for a career year points wise also.

I think we need to keep Tanev so him and QH can keep doing what they are doing.

4 years at $4.8 is a 10% raise and will give a very strong pairing 

53 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I just don't see how we don't resign him. If anything, look at Hughes' numbers this year. he is doing remarkable things because he is an amazing player, but don't discount the fact that Tanev provides a steady presence and stay at home style that allows QH to roam and get involved. Not to mention, Tanev is on pace for a career year points wise also.

I think we need to keep Tanev so him and QH can keep doing what they are doing.

4 years at $4.8 is a 10% raise and will give a very strong pairing 

Two things $4.8m is more like an 8% raise. Not 10%
and generally a 30 year old UFA coming off a career year will look to cash in in both term and dollars. It’s doubtful he’s interested in taking a short deal with a minimal raise.  If it’s going to be 3 years then the dollar amount is going to be inflated 

48 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Two things $4.8m is more like an 8% raise. Not 10%
and generally a 30 year old UFA coming off a career year will look to cash in in both term and dollars. It’s doubtful he’s interested in taking a short deal with a minimal raise.  If it’s going to be 3 years then the dollar amount is going to be inflated 

Sorry,  Didn't know I was dealing with the Math Police over here. My bad officer

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Sorry,  Didn't know I was dealing with the Math Police over here. My bad officer

Grammar police and spelling police and now the math police.  As hockey guys aren’t we supposed to be mostly illiterate and bad at math?  Who are these fake hockey people that can read, write, and add?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Grammar police and spelling police and now the math police.  As hockey guys aren’t we supposed to be mostly illiterate and bad at math?  Who are these fake hockey people that can read, write, and add?  

I've always just assumed those are the sober people on CDC!

• Haha 1

Great buncha' guyz..'dat always play 'ard for each, & win da turd eh? So letz just win it all for the 50th! Then, sign Toffoli, pronto

- (post-parade) Stecher, BS & Baer to OTT for Colin White

- Brock for Greenway & a 1st

- Roussel & our 3rd, for perhaps a 4th?

'Dere ya go..that's about 20 mill whacked from cap. If BroLouiE hangs 'em up, we'll be ecstatic. Can certainly afford to keep CT & JLeivo, if necc

Tryamkin & Rafferty should be incoming. If CT wants major $$$, let the laddy go & grab the brass ring.

Too much hand wringing over this matter..should be pretty kosher

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Great buncha' guyz..'dat always play 'ard for each, & win da turd eh? So letz just win it all for the 50th! Then, sign Toffoli, pronto

- (post-parade) Stecher, BS & Baer to OTT for Colin White

- Brock for Greenway & a 1st

- Roussel & our 3rd, for perhaps a 4th?

'Dere ya go..that's about 20 mill whacked from cap. If BroLouiE hangs 'em up, we'll be ecstatic. Can certainly afford to keep CT & JLeivo, if necc

Tryamkin & Rafferty should be incoming. If CT wants major $$$, let the laddy go & grab the brass ring.

Too much hand wringing over this matter..should be pretty kosher

LOL.....Fast and quick!

• Huggy Bear 1

I don't see how Tanev is worth more than Muzzin. At best Tanev is worth similar to Muzzin but to make almost half a mil more, I'd rather just let him walk. If I am Benning I offer him 5ish mil or he can leave. Tanev's offensive total is partly due to Hughes. Watching this guy make moves in the ozone leaves A LOT to be desired. Except that one move he made in OT that one time. Lol.

Edited by N7Nucks

Change of object, Tryamkin.

The team might be able to sign him within the next 13 days or sooner, so how?

There is not a lot left in the cap, maybe 40 grand.

So how could the team structure a deal?

I have a thought, sign him to the league minimum for the remainder of this season and have an extension signed where he gets a nice big signing bonus on July 1 that counts towards the next season, the amount and term could be flexible then and the team would have time to correct the cap.

I think that would work out to about 9 grand a game, so he could play 4 to 5 games in this season. More with LTIR escalating or if he is called up as an emergency replacement, wink, wink from his hotel room in North Van, "he was assigned to Utica but the emergency happened and he didn't get there in person", just on paper.

I am not sure if playoff bonuses exist any longer but that could be included in his deal.