The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Loui Eriksson off-season

4 hours ago, mll said:

Turris has been Hynes 2nd most used F after Granlund.  Don't think they consider him as a cap dump anymore now that they've changed coaches.  

Rask is likely to get bought out - it's only 1.3M agains the cap which is manageable.  Eriksson would just block a player on their team and his buyout cap hit is prohibitive when it's so much more convenient for them to just buy out Rask at a far lesser cap hit.

Tortorella talked of how much they are going to miss Wennberg when he got injured.  Not sure they are interested in moving on for a player that fits them less.

Why would we as Canuck’s fans care what the other teams want? Screw them.  

Looking at the Backes trade - retaining 25%, including a late 1st round pick, and getting a good value player in Kase back got me thinking to another possible scenario.

I heard that Miles Wood in New Jersey is a guy that might be on the trade block as he isn't quite living up to his contract. He is a speeder who plays with an edge and would fit well in our system. 

Our 2nd round pick would likely be a mid-round (12-18 spots later than Boston's first), so I was wondering if a trade like this would work:

To New Jersey
Eriksson (25% retained - after bonus paid)

2nd round pick

To Vancouver
Miles Wood 

Rationale for New Jersey
- They are in a rebuild mode and unlikely to compete in the next two years 
- They have a tonne of cap space
- Miles Wood is owed $6 million in actual cash, they would only have to paid Loui $3.75 for the remainder of his contract

So in short New Jersey plugs a different bottom 6 player into their non playoff lineup and gives up 1.75 million in cap space for two years in exchange for a mid-2nd round pick and a cash savings of 2.25 million. 

Vancouver gets a younger, faster, more physical player in need of a change of scenery and some valuable cap space. 

Edited by canucklehead44

Sadly I think the only way we get rid of Eriksson is to give up a high draft pick or prospect. I don't think he should cost a 1st but I'd part with a 2nd for sure if it means we can squeeze Toffoli into the fold.

With the cap likely going down now, Eriksson's 6M carries much more weight and Toffoli is still going to demand 4-6M.

I'd do Eriksson + 2nd for considerations to any team in a heartbeat. Would love to send Baertschi/Goldobin + Eriksson + 2nd to Ottawa for an AHL player. All of those guys deserve a chance on an NHL team, Eriksson would probably be on their 3rd line and Baertschi/Goldobin could hit 30-40 points in their top-6. Free up 8M would be massive for the Canucks obviously.