Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Ottawa Senators | Feb. 27, 2020

Rate this topic

10 hours ago, apollo said:

Both Myzy and Oscar know they had a bad game. But why point it out and focus on this? I'm sure both guys will rebound. The first goal they didn't deserve a minus... They were just on the wrong end of it tonight. 

That was a heck of a game to watch. Ottawa has my respect. The Bobby Ryan story was pretty compelling... Gotta give props to the NHLs substance abuse program. World class league. 

They had their telethon tonight as well... On top of that the return of Bobby Ryan. 

We beat the 1st place Bruins 9-3

The trade deadline has past. These are the players we have, let's support them. 

I completely disagree. On the first goal, Myers completely leaves his assignment to chase the shooter, which makes Fanta back up and allow the shot. One of the most braindead D plays I’ve ever witnessed live

• Hydration 1

so what is happening with the canuck players who stayed with the team from last season ?

early retirement for all of them ?

let's see

the players carrying this team now

have been here for less then a season

miller, hughes, toffoli

those are all great amazing additions

but if the longer term nucks showed up and played

the team would be much better then they presently show

even petey is playing noticeably below his own standard of play

26 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

One game does not a season make.

If it did then there is the Tampa and Pittsburgh spankings where they allowed 17 goals were also out shot 77 to 45

Boston has the flu bug but they did beat the best and got beat by close to the worst, a wash.

Pittsburg beat us 8-6 and we beat them 4-1, in fact in the first period in one of those games we never allowed them a shot on goal, yes Tampa beat us. we beat St louis. stop with the flu bug , Boston couldn't keep up to us, and they have lost games since. if as you say we only beat Boston , they why are we in 2nd in the Pacific?  games go that way , you can beat the best but have trouble with the worst.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Tanev needs to fight more. It clearly runs in the Tanev familly. At around 0:18 Tanev takes off the helmet and gives Ryan two very hard lefts, which clearly left Ryan hurting.

Tanev's got a lot of pushback and isn't afraid to get into the mix with things. I can definitely see Chris developing a  mean streak. 

First fight I’ve ever seen Tanev involved in and he did great.  This guy is as tough as they come.  Fighting a guy like that could be a mistake.

• Hydration 1

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

so what is happening with the canuck players who stayed with the team from last season ?

early retirement for all of them ?

let's see

the players carrying this team now

have been here for less then a season

miller, hughes, toffoli

those are all great amazing additions

but if the longer term nucks showed up and played

the team would be much better then they presently show

even petey is playing noticeably below his own standard of play

Many of the players from last year are older players that played a rough and tumble game, IMO they might resurrect that game in the playoffs but they are older and that kind of game takes a toll so the fall off is faster. This is not a secret there are a ton of examples of players in their 30's that decline, just the Canucks have a load of them and cannot trade them either because of the salaries or clauses. Canucks have been defeated by a few teams that have twice the amount of players under 24.

Miller has been a great pick up, far surpassing what I expected but is still think the payment was higher than necessary.

Toffoli is still playing for hiis next contract and doing well

Petey just looks like he needs another 20 or 30 pounds.

That Hughes fell to #10 is remarkable but his 5 on 5 play really needs to improve

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Fantenberg and Benn  have not looked good in the #6 D spot, we need a solid defensive Dman to play with Myers. I wonder if they give Sautner, Brisebois, or Juolevi a chance there. 

Benn and to a lesser degree Fanta are terrible with the puck.  OJ with Myers would be an ideal pair.  Myers’s frees up pucks, and OJ uses his elite awareness and passing skills to move the puck up ice.  

#FREEOJ

• Hydration 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

8 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Many of the players from last year are older players that played a rough and tumble game, IMO they might resurrect that game in the playoffs but they are older and that kind of game takes a toll so the fall off is faster. This is not a secret there are a ton of examples of players in their 30's that decline, just the Canucks have a load of them and cannot trade them either because of the salaries or clauses. Canucks have been defeated by a few teams that have twice the amount of players under 24.

Miller has been a great pick up, far surpassing what I expected but is still think the payment was higher than necessary.

Toffoli is still playing for hiis next contract and doing well

Petey just looks like he needs another 20 or 30 pounds.

That Hughes fell to #10 is remarkable but his 5 on 5 play really needs to improve

you and your incorrect info

not sure why you get so many basic facts wrong

so easy to look stuff up

but you just do your posts as you wish i guess

hughes was a #7 pick, he did not fall to #10

and i'm not sure what nuck team you have watched last year and this

but rough and tumble is not a term i associate with recent squads wearing the orca

the older nucks are not the ones i'm concerned about

the recent power failures on the team are

pearson, gaud, virt, ep40 (a lower rate production), edler and myers (ok those 2 are 30s)

Edited by coastal.view
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

you and your incorrect info

not sure why you get so many basic facts wrong

so easy to look stuff up

but you just do your posts as you wish i guess

hughes was a #7 pick, he did not fall to #10

and i'm not sure what nuck team you have watched last year and this

but rough and tumble is not a term i associate with recent squads wearing the orca

the older nucks are not the ones i'm concerned about

the recent power failures on the team are

pearson, gaud, virt, ep40 (a lower rate production), edler and myers (ok those 2 are 30s)

Clearly Hughes should have been THE FIRST OVERALL PICK.  

#betterthandahlin

Apparently Ottawa had 38 scoring chances last night . How do they accomplish that with 25 shots ? Are blocked shots counted as scoring chances ? 

9 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Fantenberg and Benn  have not looked good in the #6 D spot, we need a solid defensive Dman to play with Myers. I wonder if they give Sautner, Brisebois, or Juolevi a chance there. 

Bringing Juolevi up now might be too much for the guy. Games are getting more intense and he might get overwhelmed. Then again, Hughes seems fine. Maybe give Juolevi the same treatment?

14 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Immaturity is the defining word that comes to mind from tonights game.  Thought they could come in and just show up to coast to a W, and they did that in all three zones.  

Demko a young goalie, a promising one at that, but that 1st goal really set the tone for the game.  Can't let easy ones like that in.  Reminds me when Marky first took the reigns as the starter, due to inexperience, let in some soft goals.

Voice of reason - we have seen all these guys play better - they were sleepin.

also...time zones...

30 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Bringing Juolevi up now might be too much for the guy. Games are getting more intense and he might get overwhelmed. Then again, Hughes seems fine. Maybe give Juolevi the same treatment?

Juolevi has handled him self very well in high pressure situations in the past, he gotta play eventually, it would be a shame if the Canucks traded him before he got to play an NHL game. 

Hes played 111 pro games now, it depends if he is fully recovered from his injuries. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Huggy Bear 1

28 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Apparently Ottawa had 38 scoring chances last night . How do they accomplish that with 25 shots ? Are blocked shots counted as scoring chances ? 

Shooting wide on a breakaway is a scoring chance with no shot and happens all the time. I'm not saying the Canucks missed the net on 13 breakaways last night but missed shots is likely the reason for the difference.

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

There's really no excuse. Travel. Tired. Time Zones. Early game, etc. This was the lowly Ottawa Senators, who just traded away DaMelo, Ennis, Nemestnikov and Pageau. and are missing Borowiecki, having to use their 3rd string goalie. lol Green may call it the ebbs and flows of the season, but this is like playoffs for them. Every game is so important, and games against the bottom feeders should be a feast for the Canucks goal scorers. They weren't very good, so inconsistent, I thought they would be better. So disappointing.  

We really play to the level of our competition I find.

• Like 3
  • Hydration 1

13 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Anyone on this board that wants Green fired is grossly dense to the umpteenth degree.

Why?  Will Green be our coach when the young core matures and competes at their best?  It’s too late in the season now to make the inevitable change. (should have been done a while back IMO.  I’m hoping the change is made this summer.  Babcock all the way.)

Green is too nice. Brian Burke just said on radio about how he believes the most successful NHL coaches are arrogant, mean, and nasty beggars around the team.  Burke said hockey players desire direction and strong leadership.  Is Green that guy?  IMO Green is not.  He was a soft, and passive player, which is echoed in who he is as a coach.  All the most successful NHL coaches are strict and force players to play the right way.  Burke said the great players don’t need that kind of coach, but the rest of the players do.  

If we wish the playoffs, Green is gone after this season.  Even if we make the playoffs, Green will get the axe next season, when the team struggles.  I’m just hoping Babcock is still available when the inevitable happens.  

#greenistoosoft

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

We really play to the level of our competition I find.

Bang on. Good thing we won't be playing the Ducks in the playoffs, if they make it in.