The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Ottawa Senators | Feb. 27, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Juolevi has handled him self very well in high pressure situations in the past, he gotta play eventually, it would be a shame if the Canucks traded him before he got to play an NHL game. 

No doubt. I'm just not sure that it would be best to throw him into that kind of cauldron. Then again, maybe baptism by fire would work for him. No clue.

5 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Hes played 111 pro games now, it depends if he is fully recovered from his injuries. 

Another good point. I'd like to think that he's recovered, or else putting him onto the roster runs the risk of re-injury. If he wasn't fully healed and he was recalled to the Canucks, the way teams are playing the Canucks, he could be bashed up pretty good.

A question to you knowledgeable fans out there. I have noticed that the Canucks' passing has not been very good lately. So I have 3 questions:

(1) Does the league keep track of passes attempted and completed?

(2) Does the league keep track of time of possession?

(3) Is there an "unwritten rule" about that if you are close to the centre line you can dump it in without it being called for icing? If, how close?

9 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Shooting wide on a breakaway is a scoring chance with no shot and happens all the time. I'm not saying the Canucks missed the net on 13 breakaways last night but missed shots is likely the reason for the difference.

That's what I figured. That total still seems high. A scoring chance every 90 seconds or so ? It didn't seem like they were applying that much pressure.

Edited by BlastPast

57 minutes ago, riffraff said:

First fight I’ve ever seen Tanev involved in and he did great.  This guy is as tough as they come.  Fighting a guy like that could be a mistake.

Tanev throws lefty.  He would be successful in a lot of fights.  

5 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

That's what I figured. That total still seems high. A scoring chance every 90 seconds or so ? It didn't seem like they were applying that much pressure.

Probably inflated by powerplay stats where they usually get a flurry of shot/shot attempts which are all considered scoring chances because its the PP.

29 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

There's really no excuse. Travel. Tired. Time Zones. Early game, etc. This was the lowly Ottawa Senators, who just traded away DaMelo, Ennis, Nemestnikov and Pageau. and are missing Borowiecki, having to use their 3rd string goalie. lol Green may call it the ebbs and flows of the season, but this is like playoffs for them. Every game is so important, and games against the bottom feeders should be a feast for the Canucks goal scorers. They weren't very good, so inconsistent, I thought they would be better. So disappointing.  

it happens to all teams!

Couple things I picked up on:

1. I felt like Gaudette looked pretty good on the wing when he was tried with the second line. Anyone else notice this?

2. Sens like to seagull for breakaway passes. Seriously, three different times sens were hovering by our blue line for a long Bomb breakaway pass.

3. Miller when frustrated tries to do too much by himself. Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s been playing amazing. Not Even saying he had a bad game. I’ve just noticed a couple times as the team falls behind or Is outplayed by opponents Miller will try to stick handle through the entire opposing team and cough up the puck. Doesn’t happen often, just thought it was interesting.

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

BEWhy?  Will Green be our coach when the young core matures and competes at their best?  It’s too late in the season now to make the inevitable change. (should have been done a while back IMO.  I’m hoping the change is made this summer.  Babcock all the way.)

Green is too nice. Brian Burke just said on radio about how he believes the most successful NHL coaches are arrogant, mean, and nasty beggars around the team.  Burke said hockey players desire direction and strong leadership.  Is Green that guy?  IMO Green is not.  He was a soft, and passive player, which is echoed in who he is as a coach.  All the most successful NHL coaches are strict and force players to play the right way.  Burke said the great players don’t need that kind of coach, but the rest of the players do.  

If we wish the playoffs, Green is gone after this season.  Even if we make the playoffs, Green will get the axe next season, when the team struggles.  I’m just hoping Babcock is still available when the inevitable happens.  

#greenistoosoft

Ok I will admit I'm a bit of a homer when it comes to Green given he's the best player ever to come out of Casltegar - but to call him a soft player when he played is a bit over the top.  He'd be like Motte but with a lot more offense in today's game, back then everyone finished their checks and it was a lot more physical.   Plus half of what is called a hit today wouldn't even count as a hit back then either (finishing a check again).  Go watch some tape of Lemuiex's highlights and it will come back quickly - a complete rodeo - watching the last two games live really isn't much different then watching international juniors these days - not very physical at all.  I get your into Babcock.  I think TG will get another year even if we miss the playoffs now with Markstrom out.   Because there really is no reason to fire him given the roster.  Miller and now TT are the best forwards night in night out - two career middle six players getting top minutes have outplayed Horvat, EP and BB when he was playing ... because they are in their prime .    No doubt EP, Horvat and BB will be even better in 3-5 years right?    

In todays game this generation of players don't respond to fear based or even tactical coaches nearly as well.   19% of the current work force is comprised of mellenials - but more like 80% (including gen z's) in the NHL.   5-6 years ago Hitchcock - a well known Keanesque disciplinarian had to completely change how he coached to stay in the league ... interesting reading at the time.  Had to become a physiologist to really figure out how to motivate guys because yelling at them and threatening them wasn't working with the younger players at all.   Fear based coaching worked great for gen X and before for a time (until they also got fed up and the room was lost - see Torts in TB and again in NYR) - he's also figured this out which is why he's still around.   Alf your from the 80's so I absolutely get it - but Babcock might be done.   Maybe get one more chance - but unless he also evolves he won't be back for long.   Quin would be perfect for today's game ... as long as our team is willing to go through walls for each other and the coach we are golden - bag skating guys and strange degrading tactics won't work for long or at all anymore.  After all ever player is a mini Babcock now and probably talks about themselves in the third person too...ha ha ... it's all about stroking delicate egos.   Love Burke.  But he's not paying much attention if he also thinks this style of coaching goes far these days.

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Couple things I picked up on:

1. I felt like Gaudette looked pretty good on the wing when he was tried with the second line. Anyone else notice this?

2. Sens like to seagull for breakaway passes. Seriously, three different times sens were hovering by our blue line for a long Bomb breakaway pass.

3. Miller when frustrated tries to do too much by himself. Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s been playing amazing. Not Even saying he had a bad game. I’ve just noticed a couple times as the team falls behind or Is outplayed by opponents Miller will try to stick handle through the entire opposing team and cough up the puck. Doesn’t happen often, just thought it was interesting.

I thought Gaudette was bad all night!!!

Just a reminder that this isn't going to be easy. Hughes looks tired and by rights should be. He gets a lot of minutes for a kid one year removed from a light NCAA schedule. Petey is being checked so tight and is still learning to fight through it. Demko is doing ok but he is not Marky, yet. This is going to go down to the wire.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Tanev throws lefty.  He would be successful in a lot of fights.  

I just mean that when you have gone through the amount and types of injuries that Tanev has had, getting punched in the face isn’t a big deal.  He was off balance at the start and took a couple glancers but then turned it around.