The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Ottawa Senators | Feb. 27, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, lmm said:

I feel that about Miller too...

until his post game interview last night.

He sounds like he has joined the club

I really think the leadership group has to be the drivers because I think Kessler ran into the same thing in his time. He went "Beast Mode" and unfortunately NO-ONE followed him. I really hope the same thing doesn't happen to Miller.

6 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

After yesterday's game he might be not too off the base...  Canucks has a long history of games where they choked. For whatever reason, I always remeber game 5 of 2003 playoff agains Minny. All they had to do at that point - overwork Minny and the road to Cup would be wide open. Yesterday's game remained me that fiasco- besause both Crawford in 2003 and Green now has failed to prepare the team play hard agains a weaker competitor.

Yes.  Absolutely.  The Canucks are heartbreakers for sure.  If Cloutier just wasn't a mediocre number one...or if the team could score more then 8-9 goals in a 7 game series for the cup... (yet Luongo is the goat - wtf? How does that work?).    Or if in 94 Bure wasn't ejected for a ridiculously tame high stick...

The past is the past.  The New League soon to be 32 teams with a salary cap so everyone's a contender for the playoffs unless they are tanking  for a couple years ... man i hope we are ahead of the curve, because the odds seemed much better before despite parity (as in 1/12 then 1/14 then 1/22 team league no cap )... ugh.  At least we are on the upswing right?  At worst we are a .350 team the rest of the way.   Markstrom will be back.   We will have a chance this year and a lot more chances coming up.   Don't like the 1/32 odds.  I don't want to wait until I need a walker.   F!ck!  For newer fans nobody said this is easy.  Factually we've won more games this year then 31 of our 50 years ... ok like 3 are shootout wins even then it's not a lot different- plus we still have 20 games or so.... I will NEVER give up on this team.  And feel if anyone is then McDavid is a great player and maybe check them out.    

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

They’ve had a lot of time off the last few weeks. Even more if you include the bye and all star weekend. Maybe they are out of rhythm from all this time off.

I thought about that too, but with how flat a bunch of players looked Im not sure a hard practice is what they need to ramp up energy levels, esp. with the back to back coming up.  Tyler Meyers could still be recovering from whatever sickness he had as well.  Tanner Pearson looked like he needed to got bed early

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Not sure this team should get the day off, I'd run an intense practice.  

I don't think that's the best idea. Optional? Sure. However an intense practice might not be what's needed. The team may need some time off to reflect (which I'm sure they're doing) on what's at stake.

22 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

They've barely played in the last month, call it what it is....LAZY.

It takes a huge amount of effort to play in the NHL. I don't think any of the players are lazy, per se. Some seem to not have the same level of intensity or commitment to their play as Miller, Toffoli, Horvat, Gaudette, Pettersson, Hughes, or Tanev. I think when everyone (or most everyone) is on the same page, you get games like the last one against Boston.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

13 hours ago, Pears said:

How is Tanev a waste :rolleyes::picard:

10 hours ago, Canadian said:

I know it's the stretch drive, but playing these same 12 forwards is NOT going to be successful. Only so many ways to switch around some of these guys that shouldn't be playing right now.

I was glad to see Eriksson demoted - but it needs to be a removal from the line-up. MacEwan needs to see the ice, even if it's 4th line minutes.

Miller and Toffoli best two forwards on the ice. Petey is fighting it a little.

The second line - Pearson and Horvat are running cold; they need a better third linemate - whether that's Virtanen, MacEwan or Gaudette.

Roussel hasn't done much lately, and the third line isn't doing anything and needs a switch-up.

Motte is still skating around and hitting everything, but doesn't have the hands for consistent 2nd/3rd line minutes. Sutter and Beagle are essentially the same player, and while they both fight for loose pucks, they aren't hitters or bringing any extra energy now.

I've resigned myself to the fact that Vegas is heating up right now and will probably take the division. As a kind of consolation prize, that potentially mean Edmonton, Calgary (or Arizona) in the first round if they can drag themselves into the playoffs as 2nd/3rd seed in the Pacific. I'd take Vancouver over any of those teams across 7 games - just need to figure out the forward situation and 3rd pairing defense (Benn hasn't been playing well, and the Myers/Fantenberg pairing was dreadful today. What would it take to call up someone and have Green take a chance on them... Rafferty? Brisebois? The safe plays couldn't be any worse than what we saw today from them.

tanev brings no grit no physicality and lil offense not sure what he does to earn 4.5 mill  other than babysit allstar dmen  id rather have rafferty up here and have 3.5 mill extra in cap next yr  same  for benn as well id rather brisebois get a chance saves us another 1.3 mill 

• Wat 1

51 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes.  Absolutely.  The Canucks are heartbreakers for sure.  If Cloutier just wasn't a mediocre number one...or if the team could score more then 8-9 goals in a 7 game series for the cup... (yet Luongo is the goat - wtf? How does that work?).    Or if in 94 Bure wasn't ejected for a ridiculously tame high stick...

The past is the past.  The New League soon to be 32 teams with a salary cap so everyone's a contender for the playoffs unless they are tanking  for a couple years ... man i hope we are ahead of the curve, because the odds seemed much better before despite parity (as in 1/12 then 1/14 then 1/22 team league no cap )... ugh.  At least we are on the upswing right?  At worst we are a .350 team the rest of the way.   Markstrom will be back.   We will have a chance this year and a lot more chances coming up.   Don't like the 1/32 odds.  I don't want to wait until I need a walker.   F!ck!  For newer fans nobody said this is easy.  Factually we've won more games this year then 31 of our 50 years ... ok like 3 are shootout wins even then it's not a lot different- plus we still have 20 games or so.... I will NEVER give up on this team.  And feel if anyone is then McDavid is a great player and maybe check them out.    

Hey IBatch, next time you go to a game, take a big sillly sign ir waer a pink tutu.

I kept looking for you last night, but SN isn't big on pictures of biker lookin dudes unless they are wearin tutus

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It takes a huge amount of effort to play in the NHL. I don't think any of the players are lazy, per se. Some seem to not have the same level of intensity or commitment to their play as Miller, Toffoli, Horvat, Gaudette, Pettersson, Hughes, or Tanev. I think when everyone (or most everyone) is on the same page, you get games like the last one against Boston.

First half of the season, that got us all saying "maybe this is the year" was full of crazy comebacks and Markstrom standing on his head.

65% of the game, or whatever it is now.. we put ourselves in a hole in the first minutes of the game!

We've had this discussion before. It's on the players to be ready, but when unpreparedness and half assed disinterested play to open games spans several seasons, where 80% of the players have moved on.... you know where I am going with this.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, xereau said:

First half of the season, that got us all saying "maybe this is the year" was full of crazy comebacks and Markstrom standing on his head.

65% of the game, or whatever it is now.. we put ourselves in a hole in the first minutes of the game!

We've had this discussion before. It's on the players to be ready, but when unpreparedness and half assed disinterested play to open games spans several seasons, where 80% of the players have moved on.... you know where I am going with this.

The inconsistency is maddening. The pathetically uninspired starts fall equally on the heads of the team and the coaching staff.

The players should be chomping at the bit and coming out like sharks in a feeding frenzy. To see them come out and play so discombobulated is a bad sign and speaks to being unprepared.

• Cheers 1