Sign in to follow this  
Canuckster86

[Discussion] Barrie vs Schultz...July 1

Recommended Posts

Since the rumours of us having some interest in Barrie at the TDL, and previously looking at acquiring him from Colorado I thought of a similar D with less offensive pt totals who is also a BC boy and a pending UFA july 1.

 

Justin Schultz:

- will be 30 in July

-8pts in 39gp this year

-over 50 games of NHL playoff experience

- 0.44ppg average over his NHL career

-Less $ and term possibly to sign vs Barrie

 

Tyson Barrie:

-will be 29 in July

- 37pts in 65gp this year

- 0.62ppg average over his NHL career

-Much more offensive pt producing D

-Will want more term and $ vs Schultz

 

So, above is 2 pending UFA RHD who might be available. If our GM is inclined to add a offensive style RHD to our depth, Barrie is the younger more offensive D. But he will cost more, vs Schultz who is having a down year pts wise and might be had for less and be more affordable....we would still have to be creative with cap room but this is just a discussion.

 

So CDC, discuss what sort of contract they may get offered from the Canucks. This would also mean we either walk away from Tanev or we move on from Stecher and have depth at the RHD position

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I still say we should look for a RHD who is more shut-down and physical defenseman next season. Someone like Joel Edmundson.

Big Nikita will be back ,  but I still wouldn't  say no to  getting Edmundson

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I still say we should look for a RHD who is more shut-down and physical defenseman next season. Someone like Joel Edmundson.

This please.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

I still say we should look for a RHD who is more shut-down and physical defenseman next season. Someone like Joel Edmundson.

He's a lefty...

2 hours ago, the grinder said:

Big Nikita will be back ,  but I still wouldn't  say no to  getting Edmundson

So... over load the D with lefties?

 

Edler 

Hughes

Benn

Juolevi 

Tryamkin

Edmundson?

 

Myers and Rafferty as RHD signed for next year.

 

If the Canucks are going for another big money D man via UFA, they should target Pietraneglo. Stl has no cap to sign him next year.

 

Hughes Pietrangelo 

Edler Myers 

Juolevi Rafferty 

Tryamkin Benn 

  • Huggy Bear 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

He's a lefty...

So... over load the D with lefties?

 

Edler 

Hughes

Benn

Juolevi 

Tryamkin

Edmundson?

 

Myers and Rafferty as RHD signed for next year.

 

If the Canucks are going for another big money D man via UFA, they should target Pietraneglo. Stl has no cap to sign him next year.

 

Hughes Pietrangelo 

Edler Myers 

Juolevi Rafferty 

Tryamkin Benn 

We don't have much cap either. Tryamkin can play right. So can Hughes. Woo is a right D and will be coming up in a couple years. I don't think Pietrangelo will accept a short (2-3 year) contract

 

I think our 2011 D core only had 3 natural right D out of 8 or something like that. We were def playing left D on their off side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

We don't have much cap either. Tryamkin can play right. So can Hughes. Woo is a right D and will be coming up in a couple years. I don't think Pietrangelo will accept a short (2-3 year) contract

 

I think our 2011 D core only had 3 natural right D out of 8 or something like that. We were def playing left D on their off side.

Ehrhoff had to play the right side.

 

Bieksa and Salo were the others with Tanev appearing in the finals iirc.

 

Same with the hall of famer frankie corrado :emot-parrot:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, this...……………..

 

We know both Tanev and Edler can and want to play for us

We know that Myers is not going anywhere, because of his contract......except maybe Seattle, but I doubt that

 

We know that Hughes can play both RHD or LHD, but only Hughes is a lock, and that is 4 players that are solid?????

 

So, We have Benn, Fantenberg (if he resigns), Stetcher(if he is not traded), Joulevi, Rafferty, Brisebois, Rathbone(if signed), and Tryamkin(if signed)

and that is 8 Dman to play the final 2 spots, 4 of which have NHL experience.

 

I want to see what we have first...……..especially for 2 bottom 6 spots

 

 

 

 

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Upvote 1
  • Burr 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, this...……………..

 

We know both Tanev and Edler can and want to play for us

We know that Myers is not going anywhere, because of his contract......except maybe Seattle, but I doubt that

 

We know that Hughes can play both RHD or LHD, but only Hughes is a lock, and that is 4 players that are solid?????

 

So, We have Benn, Fantenberg (if he resigns), Stetcher(if he is not traded), Joulevi, Rafferty, Brisebois, Rathbone(if signed), and Tryamkin(if signed)

and that is 8 Dman to play the final 2 spots, 4 of which have NHL experience.

 

I want to see what we have first...……..especially for 2 bottom 6 spots

 

 

 

 

The simpler solution.....I agree.....and it more likely

 

I think Stecher walks.  It's unfortunate but they can't afford to keep him and Tanev.  I couldn't imagine not bringing Tanev back.  Rafferty is ready.

 

Hughes Tanev

Edler  Myers

Fantenberg  Rafferty

Benn  Tryamkin 

 

It's a lower cost D group.  I expect Tanev to sign for $5M, Fantenberg around $1M, Tryamkin? who knows?  no more than $2M

It's a bigger D group and better offensively

 

Next year is a bit of a transition year on the back end.  Edlers and Benns final year so these questions have to be answered by year end.  Edler as the #3 is great for his longevity.  He may even slide to #5 if things go right.  They're not going to like having only 3 natural right handers but by the 21-22 season I think we see longer term solutions

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The simpler solution.....I agree.....and it more likely

 

I think Stecher walks.  It's unfortunate but they can't afford to keep him and Tanev.  I couldn't imagine not bringing Tanev back.  Rafferty is ready.

 

Hughes Tanev

Edler  Myers

Fantenberg  Rafferty

Benn  Tryamkin 

 

It's a lower cost D group.  I expect Tanev to sign for $5M, Fantenberg around $1M, Tryamkin? who knows?  no more than $2M

It's a bigger D group and better offensively

 

Next year is a bit of a transition year on the back end.  Edlers and Benns final year so these questions have to be answered by year end.  Edler as the #3 is great for his longevity.  He may even slide to #5 if things go right.  They're not going to like having only 3 natural right handers but by the 21-22 season I think we see longer term solutions

Totally! CC

 

What crosses my mind, is we have to have one or two of Tryamkin, Rafferty, Juolevi, Rathbone, Brisebois or Woo exceed or reach their ceiling...it is imperative! 

 

I also hope that JB, goes shopping hard in the NCAA UFA market this summer. We need another Top NCAA Dman, and I hope that he goes after a Dman at the draft.

 

With few early picks, it has to be BPA of course, but I hope there is one available around us. We need to find that one more top end Dman, who hopefully comes

 

from within, within the next couple of years. (He really needs to sign Rathbone this year. He was around Fox and his traitorous ways, way too much, last year.)

 

Fingers crossed!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

I still say we should look for a RHD who is more shut-down and physical defenseman next season. Someone like Joel Edmundson.

I like this idea a lot.   He’s at a great age, and he’d be exactly what this team needs.  Good thinking!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

He's a lefty...

So... over load the D with lefties?

 

Edler 

Hughes

Benn

Juolevi 

Tryamkin

Edmundson?

 

Myers and Rafferty as RHD signed for next year.

 

If the Canucks are going for another big money D man via UFA, they should target Pietraneglo. Stl has no cap to sign him next year.

 

Hughes Pietrangelo 

Edler Myers 

Juolevi Rafferty 

Tryamkin Benn 

Pietrangelo isn’t at an ideal age, and he’d cost us way too much cap and term.  
 

The Edmundson idea is a phenomenal one.   Great age, fits our team needs perfectly, and could realistically be signed to good money and term.    Tryamkin can also play both sides, and so Tree could easily play with Hughes or Edler if need be.  @ruilin96 wins this thread hands down.  

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, Edler Hughes Benn Juolevi Tryamkin and Edmundson signed or acquired for next year.

 

Do you not see a problem there?

 

Hughes Myers 

Edler Tryamkin

Edmundson Benn

Juolevi Rafferty 

 

Or

 

Hughes Pietrangelo 

Edler Myers

Tryamkin Rafferty

Juolevi Benn

 

Pietrangelo is 4 years older, so 30/31 at age of signing for a maximum of 7 years.

 

Pietrangelo over any ufa LHD this summer, k thx.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Edmundson but he is a lefty, coach Green seems to play players on their shooting side no?

 

Plus LHD currently signed:

 

Edler

Hughes

Benn

Juolevi

Fanta- pending ufa

 

In a perfect world Seattle would take Myers off our hands, we may need to add something to get it done. That or #21

 

I like the idea of having a 2nd play making point producing D man, a righty ideally. I wouldn't touch Schultz myself, Barrie would be ideal as long as he doesn't ask for the moon. GM JB needs to clear cap space this off season, to do that you likely have to add a nice prospect or pick to dump larger salary with term.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t afford either unless lose all of our current UFAs. 
Don’t really want either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Canucks biggest need on defense are larger, aggressive defensemen who are responsible in their own end, and who are capable of supporting more offensively minded players.

 

The defense is still shockingly porous, and far too many times, defensemen are caught watching. Hughes, in fact, looks to be the best overall defenseman. I can't count the amount of times I've seen him pick the puck off of a forward's stick and send it the other way.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.