Sign in to follow this  
Canuckster86

[Discussion] Barrie vs Schultz...July 1

On 2/28/2020 at 9:28 PM, the grinder said:

Big Nikita will be back ,  but I still wouldn't  say no to  getting Edmundson

Can't see stecher back, and if we can improve on Fantenberg, he will be gone too.  Losing both of the and adding Edmunson and Tryamkin would improve this D core massively.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/28/2020 at 11:42 PM, GhostsOf1994 said:

He's a lefty...

So... over load the D with lefties?

Edler 

Hughes

Benn

Juolevi 

Tryamkin

Edmundson?

Myers and Rafferty as RHD signed for next year.

If the Canucks are going for another big money D man via UFA, they should target Pietraneglo. Stl has no cap to sign him next year.

Hughes Pietrangelo 

Edler Myers 

Juolevi Rafferty 

Tryamkin Benn 

What would Alex want? I can’t see how the Canucks can afford a mega contract like that!

Priority for this off season is to sign the following (in order):

1) Marky 

2) Toffoli 

3) Tanev / other defenceman

4) Jake 

Where is this cash gonna come from?

Don’t get me wrong, I love Alex and the Canucks would thrive under him but I can’t see it work cap wise. 

LE and Sutter would both have to basically be shipped with no cap coming back. The only way that happens is high picks and grade A prospects going  the other way.

Edited by grandmaster
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Barrie vs Schultz?

How about Dillon vs Edmundson instead.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Hydration 1

On 2/28/2020 at 10:20 PM, ruilin96 said:

I still say we should look for a RHD who is more shut-down and physical defenseman next season. Someone like Joel Edmundson.

I agree Big Physical RD is needed. Rafferty will replace Stecher.

I have interest in neither. Neither are a needed on this team. We need to stop getting scored on. We score goals just fine and our younger Dman have offensive upside and will be developed properly.

Honestly I’m happy with Myers as our big dman signing for the next couple years. We need youth injected into the back end to really finish the rebuild. If we go out and sign someone I’d be a lot happier with a defensemen that’s really good in his own end oppose to offensive. The offence can wait until either Raff or Rathbone fill that void 

Jim Benning has expressed interest in Barrie at the draft and if rumours are true again at the trade deadline. Our gm is interested and I do think he signs Barrie this offseason. Barrie might want to come home and may even take less to get here much like Myers did.

On 2/29/2020 at 11:11 PM, GhostsOf1994 said:

So, Edler Hughes Benn Juolevi Tryamkin and Edmundson signed or acquired for next year.

Do you not see a problem there?

Hughes Myers 

Edler Tryamkin

Edmundson Benn

Juolevi Rafferty 

Or

Hughes Pietrangelo 

Edler Myers

Tryamkin Rafferty

Juolevi Benn

Pietrangelo is 4 years older, so 30/31 at age of signing for a maximum of 7 years.

Pietrangelo over any ufa LHD this summer, k thx.

Yes that sounds great.  And where exactly are we getting the money to sign him to this 50-60 million  dollar contract?  He probably won't get less then 8, and you know at this time of year some desperate team with cap space would be willing to vastly overpay him.    We can't afford to keep some players as it is - and we haven't signed EP or QHs yet ....

On 3/7/2020 at 2:05 AM, Junkyard Dog said:

Barrie vs Schultz?

How about Dillon vs Edmundson instead.

Don't disagree with you that those 2 are a good optionas well. Would be a good fit for sure. It seems JB likes Barrie, so we shall see if he makes him an offer come July 1. If JB can cut a bunch of wasted cap space we could have the flexibility to revamp our D this off season. I would also like to try keep Toffoli but can't retain everyone and if MaC plays well he is cementing a RW roster spot next year. So even keeping Leivo is not necessary.

Should be a very busy off season for the GM, he has a decent nucleus for the team but he has to retain the #1G make a decision on Tanev, sign Jake and try to free up as much cap space as he can. Get your rest now Jimbo, your gonna be a busy man come June!!! But, you kind of put yourself in this situation...so let's see if you can dig yourself out of this cap crunch while still being able to ADD to this young core in the process

On 2/29/2020 at 1:50 AM, Where's Wellwood said:

We don't have much cap either. Tryamkin can play right. So can Hughes. Woo is a right D and will be coming up in a couple years. I don't think Pietrangelo will accept a short (2-3 year) contract.

On 3/7/2020 at 1:38 AM, grandmaster said:

What would Alex want? I can’t see how the Canucks can afford a mega contract like that!

Don’t get me wrong, I love Alex and the Canucks would thrive under him but I can’t see it work cap wise. 

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yes that sounds great.  And where exactly are we getting the money to sign him to this 50-60 million  dollar contract?

My biggest concern would be this:

On 2/29/2020 at 3:23 PM, DarkIndianRises said:

Pietrangelo isn’t at an ideal age, and he’d cost us way too much cap and term.  own.  

The cap we could figure out. We wouldn't be re-signing Tanev at $4.5m+ or Stecher at $2.5m-$3m if we signed AP. Replacing Tanev with AP and Stecher with an ELC gets you a good chunk of the way to the $8m+ required for AP. Move Benn as well and you add two of Tryamkin, Juolevi and Rafferty on low cost contracts for the bottom pair, perhaps equally cheap Briesbois or Sautner as spare/7th D.

You can make the cap space, I'm not concerned about that.

The bigger reservation would be tying up that much cap for 6-7 years on a 30 year old player. AP sure would be sweet though. A top 4 of Hughes-AP and Edler-Myers would be awfully nice...big gamble on that term though!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

My biggest concern would be this:

The cap we could figure out. We wouldn't be re-signing Tanev at $4.5m+ or Stecher at $2.5m-$3m if we signed AP. Replacing Tanev with AP and Stecher with an ELC gets you a good chunk of the way to the $8m+ required for AP. Move Benn as well and you add two of Tryamkin, Juolevi and Rafferty on low cost contracts for the bottom pair, perhaps equally cheap Briesbois or Sautner as spare/7th D.

You can make the cap space, I'm not concerned about that.

The bigger reservation would be tying up that much cap for 6-7 years on a 30 year old player. AP sure would be sweet though. A top 4 of Hughes-AP and Edler-Myers would be awfully nice...big gamble on that term though!

Yep you nailed it.   I wouldn’t have too much issue from a cap perspective, but the term that we’d have to hand out to AP (if we’re getting AP to leave St.Louis) would be bloody dangerous.

• Hydration 1

On 2/28/2020 at 9:20 PM, ruilin96 said:

I still say we should look for a RHD who is more shut-down and physical defenseman next season. Someone like Joel Edmundson.

I feel like Joel would be a very decent piece to add to the puzzle... move out benn and add in edmundson... something like 3 years 10 million would be a very fair offer, 

i understand with tryamkin coming back we got Edler Hughes tryamkin on the left side and it’s the right side that needs help (Stecher, Myers ) but releasing edler would allow us to free up enough money to have edmundson and keep tan man around...

edmundson tanev>> Edler Benn

assuming that’s a similar cap hit for the pair 

17 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

I feel like Joel would be a very decent piece to add to the puzzle... move out benn and add in edmundson... something like 3 years 10 million would be a very fair offer, 

i understand with tryamkin coming back we got Edler Hughes tryamkin on the left side and it’s the right side that needs help (Stecher, Myers ) but releasing edler would allow us to free up enough money to have edmundson and keep tan man around...

edmundson tanev>> Edler Benn

assuming that’s a similar cap hit for the pair 

Find a way to get rid-off 2 of the following contracts + trading Jordie Benn and let go of Fantanberg:

Eriksson - $6 million

Roussel - $3 million

Sutter - $4.4 million

Beagle - $3 million

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

Find a way to get rid-off 2 of the following contracts + trading Jordie Benn and let go of Fantanberg:

Eriksson - $6 million

Roussel - $3 million

Sutter - $4.4 million

Beagle - $3 million

I like beagle and what he brings don’t think that his contract is bad but he’s def being paid very well for his services, but yes I feel the other 3 would be very nice to scrap... rousell last year was looking worth every penny not so much this year, sutter contract should be movable he shows promise at times and I think a team like Columbus would take on that contract as he fits that system quite well and well loui I’m just going to leave that one with no comment... 

maybe not a popular idea but with the promise podkolzin is showing and with the expansion draft coming would giving up A package with virtanen on his was out with eriksson and benn attached be such a bad thing to maybe give us some flexibility and eliminating a nearly unmovable contract.... Benn contract isint bad it just hasn’t been a great fit in Vancouver.... 

We really need a top # 2 D man to replace Tanev...Also lets us play Edler 34 years old less minutes..

We Don't want to bring in older D man  and we also need a complete solid D man... Barrie plays all offence and we have Hughes..

Boser NJ -- Severson, 3rd rounder...( Severson would be a great addition , 25 yrs old, 6'2, plays a complete game..

There's a lot of far more tempting UFA defencemen out there (if we really need one, which I don't think we currently do) who might take a bit of a cut due to the lowering of the cap and the coronavirus break.

Tanev is the obvious best deal and he'll probably be happy to re-sign here at 4M hopefully for about 2-4 years (the shorter the better for him).

Barrie and Schultz are both puck movers and will ask for around 5-6M which is what they deserve, and while we could always use another PMD, they're both shaky defensively.

Vatanen and TJ Brodie are interesting, they haven't had the best seasons so might be able to be had relatively cheaply. I doubt they'd stoop as low as 4M, probably 4.5M at the best, but they're both pretty solid who could use a change of scenery.

The more shut-down variety include Kulikov, Edmundson (my personal pick of the lot, youngest, could get him for 3.5-4M and physical), Dillon and Hamonic who are all going to go for around 4M as well.

In all honesty there's not much difference between a 30 year old Tanev and the other guys around the 4M mark apart from old age and wear and tear. Tanev's been with this group a long time though and it would be nice for JB to keep the group together, especially if there's not that much difference in quality. 

If Tanev wants 4.5-5M or more importantly, a long-term deal, I think JB has the right to walk away because there's plenty of other similar defencemen on the market, but I do hope we keep Tanev. Great PKer, 20-30 point pace on the season (is better than the other shutdown guys), a decent quiet leader and role guy for the young defencemen coming in. That being said, I'd take Edmunsun and his 6'4" physicality (similar point pace as Tanev) for 3.5-4M in a heartbeat.

Best case scenario (not happening though) would be to trade Stecher's rights for a pick or let him walk, somehow buyout Eriksson's 6M or get rid of it and then re-sign Tanev and Edmunson. He'd be a massive upgrade on Stecher but not much of an upgrade on Tanev.

Couple of good suggestions there with Severson and Edmundson...getting both would be a significant upgrade over Stecher and significant age reduction over Tanev.

D corps next season could be:

Edler Myers

Hughes Severson

Edmundson Tryamkin

Benn Rafferty

Doesn't look too bad, even without Tanev. Excellent mix of size, grit, offense, pushback.

Also adding those two guys means we don't miss losing Edler so much the following season:

Hughes Severson

Edmundson Myers

Juolevi Tryamkin

Rathbone Rafferty