The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Need help -for wifi TV for playoffs in my backyard

189lb enforcers?

Disclaimer - I am not tech savvy, but get the basics. 

I built this cool pool house in my back yard and it’s the perfect spot to install a TV up in the open rafters and watch playoff hockey this spring! 

What do I require to make that happen? 

I have power out there, but don’t want any other cables. The one must for me is the ability to readily watch high definition hockey and not go broke doing it. 

I will need a TV size of at least 32” to make the space work for comfortable viewing and I have nothing but room for peripheral devices like speakers. The less cable the better, but as an audiophile, I still want some quality. 

I’m hoping a few of you readers can help me get set up for an awesome playoff experience this season. It really is a great spot and I would be super grateful for your help and advice. 

Here are some details, if it makes any difference. 

I currently subscribe to Telus Optik TV and get my phone and internet through them as well.

The wifi I have is whatever that original setup came with and is located in basement along the same wall nearest the pool house. The wifi signal within the pool house shack is not full bars (probably because I live on a slope and the house foundation is also a sloping concrete wall, plus the shack’s foundation is also concrete).

I’m already paying an arm and a leg to Telus for this service and I can hit 150 a month sometimes, which seems extreme, so I’m open to change on all fronts. 

Most of our devices are Apple. We watch Netflix on the existing TV in the basement  and record some shows, but don’t actually watch 99% of the channels we get in the packages I pay for. We also have an XboxOne or whatever the hell my son calls it. We don’t use any Smart features within the house and have no plans to. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

1. Get whatever TV you want

2. Get Wireless repeater (extender) for your pool house

3. Get Apple TV

4. Download Telus optik tv app

5. Watch like it’s in your house

alternatively to Apple TV you can get wireless optik cable box from Telus and skip step 4 or get chrome cast and Telus optik on your phone and screencast... actually there are a lot of options for this lol

Most new TVs will let you screencast so if you have a smart tv you may not need to get anything else. Just download the optik TV app 

• Upvote 1

Pretty basic with a smart tv. You just use the apps and all games will be on CBC or NHL center-ice so you could use their apps.

If you don't have a smart TV you can use an xbox or playstation and then use the NHL centre ice app, if you have it. I don't think the CBC app is supported on consoles.

Edited by peaches5
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The wifi I have is whatever that original setup came with and is located in basement along the same wall nearest the pool house. The wifi signal within the pool house shack is not full bars (probably because I live on a slope and the house foundation is also a sloping concrete wall, plus the shack’s foundation is also concrete).

The other problem could be the metal siding and roof on the pool house.  WiFi doesn't like to go through those types of materials.

Full disclaimer:  I am a former TELUS technician.

You say you have TELUS Optik TV, but do you have a wireless TV box?  Do you know which model of modem you have?  Depending on your setup, it could be as simple as moving your modem or wireless access point closer to your pool house.

• Upvote 1

This is semi-related and made me laugh at the time. Short story, our VP was due to hold a meeting in an old residence on campus and required wifi connectivity. We made it happen on time and what I found humourous was the fact we had to wire the house to make it wireless.

14 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

This is semi-related and made me laugh at the time. Short story, our VP was due to hold a meeting in an old residence on campus and required wifi connectivity. We made it happen on time and what I found humourous was the fact we had to wire the house to make it wireless.

It's so common though.  People expect Wi-Fi to be magic and just go everywhere.  They often don't realize how much the things in their home (walls, appliances, duct work, chimneys, etc.) all block and degrade the signal.  Plus, as the power and bandwidth of the modems increases, the range decreases.

And in a case like yours, in a campus residence, you probably have to contend with wireless saturation on top of it.

Thanks everyone, you’re kind to help. 

I have 0.5 acre on slope and terraces where my hot tub, etc is. 

I want to install lighting and cameras around the fenced perimeter. I have power ran, but nothing else. 

Is there a product that will have the range and capacity to watch the Canucks in HD and push a signal to the back fence , about 130’ uphill that will allow some cool wife camera and lighting system? 

Also, for the TV, what do I need to do so that my wife doesn’t switch the TV in the basement to 90 day finance while I’m outside watching the Canucks in OT? I’m not sure if I need another box or what. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

31 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Thanks everyone, you’re kind to help. 

I have 0.5 acre on slope and terraces where my hot tub, etc is. 

I want to install lighting and cameras around the fenced perimeter. I have power ran, but nothing else. 

Is there a product that will have the range and capacity to watch the Canucks in HD and push a signal to the back fence , about 130’ uphill that will allow some cool wife camera and lighting system? 

Also, for the TV, what do I need to do so that my wife doesn’t switch the TV in the basement to 90 day finance while I’m outside watching the Canucks in OT? I’m not sure if I need another box or what. 

200ft ethernet cable costs 20 bucks on amazon. I would just get the ethernet cable and run it along the bottom of your fence and then into your tv. A router with long range, that will probably have a weak signal from that far, will cost you $200+ dollars. 

https://www.amazon.com/200FT-Networking-Ethernet-Patch-Router/dp/B01GTKF8FG/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=200ft+ethernet+cable&qid=1583010183&s=electronics&sr=1-5

Edited by peaches5
  • Cheers 1

23 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Disclaimer - I am not tech savvy, but get the basics. 

I built this cool pool house in my back yard and it’s the perfect spot to install a TV up in the open rafters and watch playoff hockey this spring! 

What do I require to make that happen? 

I have power out there, but don’t want any other cables. The one must for me is the ability to readily watch high definition hockey and not go broke doing it. 

I will need a TV size of at least 32” to make the space work for comfortable viewing and I have nothing but room for peripheral devices like speakers. The less cable the better, but as an audiophile, I still want some quality. 

I’m hoping a few of you readers can help me get set up for an awesome playoff experience this season. It really is a great spot and I would be super grateful for your help and advice. 

Here are some details, if it makes any difference. 

I currently subscribe to Telus Optik TV and get my phone and internet through them as well.

I’m already paying an arm and a leg to Telus for this service and I can hit 150 a month sometimes, which seems extreme, so I’m open to change on all fronts. 

Most of our devices are Apple. We watch Netflix on the existing TV in the basement  and record some shows, but don’t actually watch 99% of the channels we get in the packages I pay for. We also have an XboxOne or whatever the hell my son calls it. We don’t use any Smart features within the house and have no plans to. 

Demko to make some stops.

• Thanks 1