The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Think about this just a little bit (Discussion)

10 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

You are a valued poster with great opinions and knowledge.... don't have to apologize to anyone especially if someone claims to have played in the NHL!!

LOL, thank you Westcoasting

No, I really did have to apoligize. Stepped in it really good and disrespected a very knowledgeable poster. I always tell my friends that do not post on here, how smart a lot of the posters are.....there is a lot of good people on here.....Coastalview being one. No one can ever claim to be absolutely right on here, if its about opinion.....we just give our best

Thanks for the comment

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

You are a valued poster with great opinions and knowledge.... don't have to apologize to anyone especially if someone claims to have played in the NHL!!

The only NHL any of us posters played in would be an old timers’ No Hair League.  :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Jan you nut, you. Trade Hughes?!?!?!

Of course the general principle makes sense, if you can make an improvement sure why not? But the problem is we live in a world of imperfect information. How do you know the team will be better off? no one wants to be the guy that traded away a Hughes level player for a David Booth return. Its too risky. Which is why you rarely see moves like that. 

LOL...true Jimmy...…..key word being "Rarely"

No, I would never trade Hughes......unlessssssss????? LOL

Isn't it funny how people read what they see, and how after something stunning......people don't seem to see anymore words! LOL

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

LOL...true Jimmy...…..key word being "Rarely"

No, I would never trade Hughes......unlessssssss????? LOL

Isn't it funny how people read what they see, and how after something stunning......people don't seem to see anymore words! LOL

There is not any single player I would trade Hughes for.  

• Thanks 1

actually @janisahockeynut all you need to do is look at Mike Millbury, guys a walking joke in the NHL for good reason. His trades are legendarily bad, but to him at the time he thought they were brilliant. 

I do think there will be an element of rest management coming to the NHL at some point like we see in other leagues, but we'll need some sort of CBA change that allows greater flexibility in the cap to so that you could sit a star e.g., for a night, bank that one day of cap, and be allowed to use that cap to call up another player. If teams could do that with players that were not injured then I think you'd see more younger players get ice time. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

actually @janisahockeynut all you need to do is look at Mike Millbury, guys a walking joke in the NHL for good reason. His trades are legendarily bad, but to him at the time he thought they were brilliant. 

I do think there will be an element of rest management coming to the NHL at some point like we see in other leagues, but we'll need some sort of CBA change that allows greater flexibility in the cap to so that you could sit a star e.g., for a night, bank that one day of cap, and be allowed to use that cap to call up another player. If teams could do that with players that were not injured then I think you'd see more younger players get ice time. 

Well, its as good as any, Jimmy....we defiantly need something

I am more inclined to allow a team a  non-compliant buy yearly. at the half way mark of a players contract, only...it should work the same way with LTIR, except full payment

no cap implications afterwards...

example...…..

#1...….Loui Eriksson 6 X $6 Million, so after 3 years (only) remaining 3 years at 2/3's salary to the player, with total cap relief

#2...….Micheal Ferland 4 X 3.5 Million, so after 2 years (only) remaining 2 years at full salary, with total cap relief

Now, this time it helps the Canucks but, over all, it helps the league teams and does not punish them for an extended period of time on a bad contract

Or

maybe after 1/2 life of contract...1 cap compliant buy out a year....same deal

20 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

LOL, thank you Westcoasting

No, I really did have to apoligize. Stepped in it really good and disrespected a very knowledgeable poster. I always tell my friends that do not post on here, how smart a lot of the posters are.....there is a lot of good people on here.....Coastalview being one. No one can ever claim to be absolutely right on here, if its about opinion.....we just give our best

Thanks for the comment

Your'e welcome, once again though if someone claims to have played in the NHL i call B.S.!!  I have spent time with numerous ex players and the one common theme is they never use that "i use to be a player" as leverage. They are just normal like you and other fans! Notice i didn't include me because I'm not normal!! lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Your'e welcome, once again though if someone claims to have played in the NHL i call B.S.!!  I have spent time with numerous ex players and the one common theme is they never use that "i use to be a player" as leverage. They are just normal like you and other fans! Notice i didn't include me because I'm not normal!! lol

Funny! I am not "normal" either....but I try!

There are some past and present NHL guys on here. most don't post much...….I am pretty sure, Luongo was on here for a while. I think Kesler made a reference once about CDC, so I wonder about him. Rob Zepp had a coffee somewhere in the Phili chain...….lots and lots of ex-juniors......all just fans. Most do not bring any ego here...….a lot less than mine, that is for sure!

I find the all the Pro's I have known to be very humble guys...….foul mouthed, lol, but really nice guys!

• Cheers 1

Referring back to my original post, and what Bruce Cassidy said, and how it applies to tonight's loss against the Leaf's.

Thatcher Demko has had 34 games as an NHL goalie, he is now tossed into being the starter position, because of Markstrom's injury.

As Thatcher has had 3 seasons of playing for the Canucks (actually 2 full seasons and 1 small stint.) it really rings true what Cassidy said about getting

players valuable  games early. I wonder now, if more games might have help at this juncture, where Green has no choice but to put him in. I wonder this

about McEwen, Juolevi, Rafferty, Lind, and Jasek as well as Bailey....I wonder if a little bit of game time, would not help before being thrown in to the lions

den because of injury. Just a game here and there, and then back to the farm, to work on what they learned and remember they did not die, just because

they played a game or 2 to help the team or made a mistake. 

Again, Cassidy's comments are  a team philosophy that comes from the top. Winning is important, but if the guys are not prepared, then the chance of

winning is less when you need them.

Edited by janisahockeynut

7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Funny! I am not "normal" either....but I try!

There are some past and present NHL guys on here. most don't post much...….I am pretty sure, Luongo was on here for a while. I think Kesler made a reference once about CDC, so I wonder about him. Rob Zepp had a coffee somewhere in the Phili chain...….lots and lots of ex-juniors......all just fans. Most do not bring any ego here...….a lot less than mine, that is for sure!

I find the all the Pro's I have known to be very humble guys...….foul mouthed, lol, but really nice guys!

I think Luongo would have been easy to recognize, his humour would shine through any negativity! Kegler i could see him checking it out but honestly he is too hard core and serious about the game to waste time worrying about what fans think. The guy who calls himself Rob Zepp? yeah he's not the real Rob Zepp who works for the NHL and was on the flyers.

2 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I think Luongo would have been easy to recognize, his humour would shine through any negativity! Kegler i could see him checking it out but honestly he is too hard core and serious about the game to waste time worrying about what fans think. The guy who calls himself Rob Zepp? yeah he's not the real Rob Zepp who works for the NHL and was on the flyers.

OK??? How about you? You seem to know a lot. (don't mean that as rude as it sounds)

Hey, I know a few people......played gold with a few more. Play men's hockey against some oldies. I am sure some of them have opinions and read here......they are still in the know, and follow the Canucks.....I will ask them. Hope they don't punch me! LOL