The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Toronto Maple Leafs | Feb. 29, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, riffraff said:

At this point he is lucky still.......

the puck should have never made it to the post in the first place.

Agreed, didn't think the shot was tipped or anything.  Long range shot with little or no traffic should not beat you and hit the post.  Oh well, it is what it is.  On to the next, and then home.

Markstrom hasn’t always been bulletproof. Remember all the first shot of the game goals?  Agreed Demko could have been better, however this is a team game and we can’t be reliant on our goaltending to bail us out every game. How about a forward or forward line bail us out of a game by scoring more than 2 goals in a game? There’s alot of passengers on this train right now.

• -SN- unfeatured and unpinned this topic

Wow. First off I think Toronto isn't very good. What does that say about Vancouver? 

I don't see a playoff team. Not hungry enough Not big enough and definitely not tough enough.

That was a stagnant game to watch from the beginning.

I know I'm not standing alone when its stated Vancouver simply isn't a playoff team. Even if they do some how manage to get they will be out very quick. 

With all the injuries to Toronto's back end Vancouver couldn't find a way to win this. Pathetic.

Once again they came out seemingly not ready to work. Long reaching stick checks that got flicked away. 

Troy Stetcher. Sorry buddy but we need an up grade at your position you're simply too small on a back end that already has a smaller but very effective Quinn Hughes.

Brandon Sutter is now invisible along with Roussel. Roussel is about as effective as Sven Bartschi or last year Marcus Grandlund.

This team is going no where this season. Heading to a lottery pick yet again. 

From a Canucks stand point that was a bad hockey game.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hlinkas wrister said:

There were 2 different occasions last night (that I could see) that Dermott cross-checked Petey with enough force that he should have been forced to answer the bell last night. I'm not one of those fans that complains every time somebody legally body checks Elias or impedes him in a way that a stronger player can fight through it, but allowing that kind of treatment to our best player is frankly pathetic. Ferland was probably the guy that JB foresaw filling that role but if he isn't going to be healthy enough to do it then they need to find somebody else next year. I can't imagine that Elias or Quinn would survive a single round of the playoffs for this team the way its presently constructed.

There is a lot of abuse towards skill in the league. Not just EP, all superstars are getting hacked,walked,abused all game. McDavid, Mathews,McKinnon and everyone else getting this treatment on nightly bases. League needs to pay attention and let the talent shine rather than being smothered.

At least Canucks are #1 in entire NHL for penalties drawn. We've had the most power plays in the entire NHL and most PP goals.

16 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Why wouldn't he?  

The problem tonight was Demko, not Bo's line.  Loui was one of the better forwards tonight.  He's had tons of games where you can rightfully point the finger at him.  He's been very good in the last 30 games now.  

Seriously, are you Little Things' mom? You responded twice to the same post of mine (calling Loui out in the GDT) just to throw it in my face that he actually contributed to a play for once. The guy is the worst signing in the history of the Canucks and has been mailing it in since he got here but you're defending him as if he's some unfairly maligned unsung hero.

Congratulations, he had a stretch where he wasn't playing embarrassingly awful hockey. That doesn't mean you should be championing his play like he's a ten year old child who just colored in the lines for the first time. If that's your bar, I suggest you raise it.

Edited by nowhereman
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Last season Petey hit the wall shortly after the all star break, this season he lasted a little longer. He's not yet physically mature enough to play a whole season producing at a 1C clip while being hooked, hit and held more than anybody on the team. We should have expected his  performance this season to drop off around 60 games. He's looked like he's running on fumes for a couple of weeks. He'll gain another 10 or 15 pounds of muscle this offseason and last through game 70 next year. It's a maturation process, he's basically playing with the body of a skinny 18-year-old. I heard Eddie Olczyk on a podcast a couple of weeks ago. He said that he would lose over 20 pounds in playing weight during the course of the season. Petey can't afford weight loss like that, he doesn't have 20 pounds to spare.

You would think that the team would be aware of this and adjust accordingly. This young man is our future and they should be adjusting his play time so he can be somewhat sheltered. The Coach seems more concerned about his job then our young guys development. 

3 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

For this if you that think Green is the greatest Coach in Canucks history ask yourself these simple questions

when lineup changes are made and we win a game, why the very next game does he revert back to the old lineup? And why when we lose does he refuse to change the lineup?

answer;

stubborn

arrogant 

incompetent

thats my opinion  

No one has ever called Green the greatest coach in Canucks history, so what are you on about? 

10 hours ago, Canadian said:

Had a sneaking suspicion we would lose this one too, after the Ottawa game.

Another game with two early goals against. 

Another game with a goal early in the third that crippled any momentum out of the intermission.

Could blame it on certain players but I’m growing more and more frustrated with the lack of adjustments by the coaching staff. Change the &^@#ing roster. If a forward has a bad game or two, let them work through it, but when it’s game 20-in-a-row for Eriksson where he has no positive impact on the scoresheet, or the third line continues to produce anything - change it up!

Green isn’t holding his vets accountable by sitting them if they don’t play well. He is worried the young guys will make mistakes this time of year. Well, then that’s why he should’ve been playing them all year, instead of gifting Eriksson a &^@#ing roster spot. Sit him the &^@# down.

This is a growing concern. From playing Marky to the point he may have been a little "overworked" and Demko "underworked". To "overworking" Petey and "underworking" Jake, and playing LE for whatever reason, leaves many question marks. 

Its not really helping the development of such players as Brisebois and MacEwen when they are being sat over players such as LE, Rouss, Benn and Fantenberg. 

Jake's development and larger body size should be utilized at this time of year yet he is used sparingly while Petey is worked to the bone and is getting "beat on" and "ragged dolled" on a nightly basis. 

I don't know what TG's long term plan is but he is going to have to make adjustments if he is going to continue helping our young guys develop.

This team is showing steady improvement.  If we miss the playoffs this season we will be better next season.  It would be nice to gain the experience of the playoffs, but the next 18 games will be just as important in trying to make it.  Meaningful games in March and April is what we all wanted last year.  JB and Green are not without fault but this is hardly the tire fire everyone is making it out to be!

19 hours ago, b3. said:

Travis needs to frig off with dressing Eriksson. 

Unfortunately it's all part of the "backroom deal" to let Loui retire as an NHL'er and hold his head up the rest of his life, rather than sitting at the back an AHL bus for 3 more years and retiring as a "loser" - in exchange for calling it quits at the end of this year and getting $6M off our books for the next 2 years.  

The price JB has to pay for a bad deal !