The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Toronto Maple Leafs | Feb. 29, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, naslund.is.king said:

Settle.

This team has been over exceeding all year.

No point in talking sense to a guy that still has Jensen and Shinkaruk in his name.

Him hyping them to be our next first line tells you all you need to know.

• Upvote 1

Move Jake with EP amd Miller ffs Green and then bury loui in the 4th line and get Toffoli with Pearson and Bo

call up Rafferty and sit Fanta ... just for another offensive  look on d 

put in Mac and sit Roussel 

season is slipping away and we keep up with the same old 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Just now, ktcy2 said:

I wonder what is going on with Petey. This was the time he started to fade last year. Any chance it’s due to fatigue And the grind of the season again? 

Sure. He gets pounded every game, cheap shots etc. 

He needs to fight through it.  Come back next season even tougher. Learn what the Sedins did. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

The 3rd line has not been good in a while. I'm not sure why Green insists on keeping Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen together. They have some decent games at home because they get favorable match ups, but they have been pretty bad on the road. 

Teams look to take advantage of them all the time. Toronto had two long momentum building shifts while they were out there.

You shouldn't have 2 guys who are still rounding out their games together and with a useless player in Roussel especially.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Two squandered games now against very beatable teams.

Our confidence is not there. Passes are not connecting , positioning is off.

Myers and Miller were good but all in all the team looks very on edge with Demko in the net right now.

Earth to Green ... fresh faces needed tomorrow!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Wilfred said:

We had a good effort for a whole 10 minutes this game. Awful from the entire team but particularly Demko with two awful goals and fairly confident Petey turned the puck over every time he touched it. Mishandled the puck every time he touched it. Did everything wrong. Team refuses to shoot when they should’ve and took nothing shots with tired defensive skaters giving them a free pass when they shouldn’t have. First line consistently being way too cute. 

I am going to be sick if Demko starts next game. 

Definitely needs to make a big save. Demko will be good in time but not right now. He made some great saves but still consistently lets the team

down with an untimely goal. 

12 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

I wonder what is going on with Petey. This was the time he started to fade last year. Any chance it’s due to fatigue And the grind of the season again? 

He still has a boy's body .... a liability at this time of year. 

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

To be fair the guys played hard, this was a very evenly matched game, both teams play a very similar style but goaltending was the difference in the end.

1) Pettersson is done, he's losing puck battles, his shot has disappeared and he's costing our top line scoring opportunities. I think Green should grow a pair and demote Pettersson for a $&!# here and there. Miller is a workhorse, trying to carry that line, and Toffoli is a true goal scorer, not going to generate much himself. Hand it to Miller though for carrying the others.

2) Horvat and Pearson started strong but as they usually do, Eriksson sucked the life out of that line as well. Our top-6 need a big shakeup.

3) I thought Gaudette and Virtanen had good games, didn't generate much offence but had their chances. 

4) Fourth line had one of their best games, Motte was great as usual and all the guys were solid on the PK.

5) Solid game by our defence all around. Edler, Tanev, Fantenberg and Stecher all had very safe, quick games where they managed to beat a fast forecheck, which is great to see. Myers was an absolute beast tonight physically and offensively, one of his best games, and Hughes was buzzing all night long and made two great defensive plays against Nylander.

6) The big stinger was Demko. I understand he's coming in cold but these are high-pressure games and I hate to say it but he cost us this game and the Ottawa game with easy goals. The first goal was through a mild bit of traffic but Marky would have stopped it easily. The second goal was flat-out unacceptable, any goalie should have stopped that, and was at a huge moment. The game winner was a mess, he over-comitted to the shot that hit the post and left the net wide-open, which is the main problem with Demko. He over-comitted on most of the shots he faced tonight, and was lucky throughout the 2nd, but it didn't take long for it to catch up with him. Demko doesn't have long to get better, let's hope the new guy can play well tomorrow because if he does he should steal the starter role.

There's a good possibility the Canucks drop from 1st in the Pacific down to out of the playoff race purely down to one player - Demko, which would hurt. I thought we were solid defensively tonight as well, really limited a high-octane offence, but 3 easy goals is a joke. This is a bad situation for Demko but we need our backup goalies to be better because tonight the team in front of him played a solid game.

1- Yes, I'd like to see a little shakeup there as well.  
2- Loui won tons of pucks from the end boards throughout the game, disagree on that one. 
3- Yes, they were flying out there.  Their defensive coverage is still attricous though.  They were regularly giving Leafs d-men about 20 feet of real estate.  
4- Agreed 
5- Myers was great except for that little miscue on their first goal.... however... 
6- ...  Demko had a stinker of a game.  He battled through it but only came up with one or two nice saves when we were already behind.  He's shown that he's a few years away from being an NHL starter.  

Well put mate!