The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning

Rate this topic

aqua59

I said at the time of the Tofu trade that Madden and a second (assets wasted IMO) should have been used as sweetener in a deal this summer (or at that TDL) to dump Loui, or Sutter, or Baer.  We needed to clear one of those three deadwood contracts more than getting Tofu, and just trying to squeeze into the playoffs.  Now, we will miss the playoffs, and still have to dump those contracts.  Can you say wasted assets getting piled on to the already high pile?  

I accept I’ve been negative on the team’s drpirection and coaching for a while, but IMO the facts justify the serious concern.

We have Petey and Hughes.  These are two generational players.  We should be building around them, so when they are physically and emotionally mature we have the support players needed for them to lead us to Cups.  Going all in now is a foolish waste of assets, that will be needed when we actually are ready.  

This is not JB though.  He is only the puppet; Aquilini is the puppeteer.  Any GM Aquilini hires will be one he can control.  He will not hire a strong willed, and experienced GM.  Plus, those guys won’t work here anyway.  

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I said at the time of the Tofu trade that Madden and a second (assets wasted IMO) should have been used as sweetener in a deal this summer (or at that TDL) to dump Loui, or Sutter, or Baer.  We needed to clear one of those three deadwood contracts more than getting Tofu, and just trying to squeeze into the playoffs.  Now, we will miss the playoffs, and still have to dump those contracts.  Can you say wasted assets getting piled on to the already high pile?  

I accept I’ve been negative on the team’s drpirection and coaching for a while, but IMO the facts justify the serious concern.

We have Petey and Hughes.  These are two generational players.  We should be building around them, so when they are physically and emotionally mature we have the support players needed for them to lead us to Cups.  Going all in now is a foolish waste of assets, that will be needed when we actually are ready.  

This is not JB though.  He is only the puppet; Aquilini is the puppeteer.  Any GM Aquilini hires will be one he can control.  He will not hire a strong willed, and experienced GM.  Plus, those guys won’t work here anyway.  

I think that we will re-sign Toffoli.  He is a better player than Brock at this point and we can get some good capital coming back as well as dumping a bad contract by trading Brock.  So it's not the end of the world.  Demko can also be used as a sweetener to get rid of Sutter or Roussel.  At this point signing Markstrom is Benning's highest priority this summer.  His value has increased at least $1 million in the last week.

Edited by Elias Pettersson

2 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

One bad road trip and it’s fire everyone eh? Gotta love CDC.  :lol:

I think several of us posters are on the record here of calling for Green to be replaced for a lot longer than just this road trip.  It’s been a couple months.  Green’s systems (especially his forecheck) as I have been pointing our out, don’t work in the NHL.  The D men are too good.  Or sure there will be the odd turnover, but in most cases we end up chasing, because we get caught.  Teams in the NHL fall back into a neutral zone trap because they must.  Green’s systems are for junior and the AHL.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:.  

I wonder if this is why Linden left.  He had a vision and it didn’t go well with Aquaman.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sassbs said:

Lol time for a rebuild :bigblush:

Of course not.  And it’s well past the time to replace Green.  That ship sailed weeks ago.  If Green does not change his philosophy of passive play, and junior league systems we will certainly miss the playoffs.  Then, after the season, Aquilini will tell JB what to do.  It’s not like Aquilini hasn’t been JB’s puppeteer all along anyway.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, sassbs said:

I wonder if this is why Linden left.  He had a vision and it didn’t go well with Aquaman.

IMO that’s became kind of obvious from what Linden said in his latest radio interview.  He gave credit Bracket for the teams’ recent draft success.  Is it any wonder Linden quit, and Bracket is quitting too.