Sign in to follow this  
aqua59

Jim Benning

Rate this topic

16 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

:bored:
Big, long yawn. 

Irregardlessly... :bigblush:

Really, you’re resorting to Gretzky to make a point about softness, reaching back to the original Nylander comment??? Really? Be better. 

Why don’t you write those other posters and whine to them about how biased they are for picking on Willy’s softness? 

Walk the walk, 73, or shhhh. 

Let’s recap:

Somebody writes how soft Nylander is.

I remind us that we’ve had our share of soft players as well. 

Someone adds that Nylander is the biggest cherry picker ever. 
I respond by reminding us that Bert and Bure were no slouches in that department while adding that Nasulnd could compete with Nylander for soft, perimeter play. 

Don’t overthink it, 73. 
I don’t have anything else to say. 

Speaking of big yawn. I find it hilarious how often you play victim after accusing others of needing safe spaces. Pot meet kettle. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, spur1 said:
5 hours ago, Baggins said:

Pretty sure this is the final year of his previous deal. Then the extension kicks in.

You are correct.

This was the first year I think;

Benning, who was in the final year of the four-year pact he agreed to ahead of the 2014-15 season

I think that took him to the 2018/19 year so this season, 2019/20 is year one.

Also believe it is a 2 year with option for the 2021/2022 season

Anyway Gillis was canned not even a year into his 5 year deal.

14 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

This, coming from a presumably a Bure, Bertuzzi or Naslund fan... ?

No bias at all, amirite? 

Correct.

15 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Benning, who was in the final year of the four-year pact he agreed to ahead of the 2014-15 season

You think wrong. 19-20 season is the last year of current contract. The extension is for the next three. 
Note: Google is your friend. 

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Lazurus said:

The organization announced Tuesday that Benning has signed a three-year extension, keeping him with the Canucks through the 2022-23 season.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/jim-benning-contract-extension-canucks-nhl-1.5253773

That would be:

20/21

21/22

22/23

Edited by Baggins
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

On 3/3/2020 at 11:28 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

sorry there was so much moaning the in the OP I must have made that up. 

This team is competitive a year earlier than planned. Thats a good thing. As far as "built for the playoffs" goes there's more than one way to do that. You don't know what this team is in the playoffs yet, either. 

You insinuate a lot. 

On 3/3/2020 at 11:28 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

sorry there was so much moaning the in the OP I must have made that up. 

This team is competitive a year earlier than planned. Thats a good thing. As far as "built for the playoffs" goes there's more than one way to do that. You don't know what this team is in the playoffs yet, either. 

Yes Jimmy the team is competitive, what if we weren't as much and waited a year and exposed a few farm guys to show what they need to excel at? would that have been bad?

What if we kept those #1 and #2 picks and then added Miller Type pick ups?

Maybe we have some more top core dmen and ?

Also, what of the people who say If we had drafted Tzachuk, we wouldn't have got so an so etc because we would have been better (now we can't say that )

Right now injuries are not an excuse, every team has them, that is why you need to excel when healthy to allow a drop off

We are not the only team ever being hurt, but we don't have the depth once we do (especially on D)

Good d help the forwards be more productive, as well as well as defending

I would like to see them excel to the top, not just be competitive

I would have preferred to wait a year before doing what we did

Its just my opinion, that means nothing, that is what we share on here

I hope JM did it for the team (and not an extension) and if he has a plan and  brings  a cup 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Yes Jimmy the team is competitive, what if we weren't as much and waited a year and exposed a few farm guys to show what they need to excel at? would that have been bad?

What if we kept those #1 and #2 picks and then added Miller Type pick ups?

Maybe we have some more top core dmen and ?

Also, what of the people who say If we had drafted Tzachuk, we wouldn't have got so an so etc because we would have been better (now we can't say that )

Right now injuries are not an excuse, every team has them, that is why you need to excel when healthy to allow a drop off

We are not the only team ever being hurt, but we don't have the depth once we do (especially on D)

Good d help the forwards be more productive, as well as well as defending

I would like to see them excel to the top, not just be competitive

I would have preferred to wait a year before doing what we did

Its just my opinion, that means nothing, that is what we share on here

I hope JM did it for the team (and not an extension) and if he has a plan and  brings  a cup 

The AHL is there to get farm guys ready. Not sure there are many guys that get to come up to the NHL not being able to contribute and just be there to learn. 

how do you pick up a Miller-type for free?

Tkachuk talk is totally useless. We didn't pick him, we can't go back. I don't know why people wont let it go, its a total waste of time to beat that dead horse. 

• Hydration 2

Benning has a poor record stemming from the contracts he's given out.

Regardless of what was thought of the Ferland, Roussel, Sutter, Eriksson, and Beagle contracts at the time, they are all excessive bloat now. The only one even coming close to worth his weight in salary this year is maybe Sutter. That's 5 bottom six contracts weighing down the team at this time. If he's still with the team if they miss the playoffs again this year, it won't be because he deserves it. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

I like Benning. I think the pros outweigh the cons but those cons are really showing right now.

All those plugs and heavy bottom 6 contracts weighing the team down during this slump.  Its hard not to point the finger.

20 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

The AHL is there to get farm guys ready. Not sure there are many guys that get to come up to the NHL not being able to contribute and just be there to learn. 

how do you pick up a Miller-type for free?

Tkachuk talk is totally useless. We didn't pick him, we can't go back. I don't know why people wont let it go, its a total waste of time to beat that dead horse. 

I agree about the AHL, but if your bringing someone up, get them some minutes in  a game to show them how much they need to work on , they would go back appreciative and have more understanding, that as much as they believed they were good enough, they can see what they need to work on now

You misunderstood me  I had wanted to wait a year before picking up a Miller type player ( never meant for free)

I really like Miller on the team and like the way he plays

The Tzachuk reference was misunderstood too, I wasn't referring to we should have  drafted him

I was referring to everyone who says things like If we had drafted Tzachuk  (or so & so) we wouldn't have gotten (so & so)

People who are saying Benniing drafts great, (or the ones who say the obvious choice fell to him) What if we had waited without giving up those top picks and uncovered another foundational dman like some of our last 3 picks before getting a Miller type player or Tyler? Now we will never know what we could have had (using the Tzachuk analogy)

I just thought it might be 1 year too soon to be doing it?

It doesn't make it right it wrong

You can take different paths to get to the same place

Hopefully, we are on the path to the Stanley Cup and not just being competitive (as my initial response to you saying competitive 1 yr earlier) which I agree with we are

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I agree about the AHL, but if your bringing someone up, get them some minutes in  a game to show them how much they need to work on , they would go back appreciative and have more understanding, that as much as they believed they were good enough, they can see what they need to work on now

You misunderstood me  I had wanted to wait a year before picking up a Miller type player ( never meant for free)

I really like Miller on the team and like the way he plays

The Tzachuk reference was misunderstood too, I wasn't referring to we should have  drafted him

I was referring to everyone who says things like If we had drafted Tzachuk  (or so & so) we wouldn't have gotten (so & so)

People who are saying Benniing drafts great, (or the ones who say the obvious choice fell to him) What if we had waited without giving up those top picks and uncovered another foundational dman like some of our last 3 picks before getting a Miller type player or Tyler? Now we will never know what we could have had (using the Tzachuk analogy)

I just thought it might be 1 year too soon to be doing it?

It doesn't make it right it wrong

You can take different paths to get to the same place

Hopefully, we are on the path to the Stanley Cup and not just being competitive (as my initial response to you saying competitive 1 yr earlier) which I agree with we are

ah OK, yup I did misread you, my apologies. 

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)

JB's worst decision to date (no. it's not the LE contract) is not picking Tkachuk in the draft...he was an obvious choice and the type of player the Canucks have been wanting ever since....smart, high hockey IQ, power forward, leader, gritty and can score and set up plays.

This was a bad drafting decision.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Pete M
add

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

JB's worst decision to date (no. it's not the LE contract) is not picking Tkachuk in the draft...he was an obvious choice and the type of player the Canucks have been wanting ever since....smart, high hockey IQ, power forward, leader, gritty and can score and set up plays.

This was a bad drafting decision.

Capture.PNG

hindsight is such an easy game to play tho. Benning really wanted PLD for the C depth, after that he was clearly thinking top pairing D which is what the scouting reports had on Juolevi. Tkachuk wasn't viewed as a high skill winger, and we don't know what went on behind the scenes either. 

It looks bad because of Juolevi's injuries, but picking in the order of C, top D, winger isn't the worst way to go about assessing talent. 

JB has to try to cut as much salary as he can this off season. We need to get rid of the dead weight and overpaid players. Need to bring in more energetic players who play with an edge and have some size. Might mean we have to give up more high picks and prospects but we need the cap $ to sign players and bring in a couple pieces still

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hindsight is such an easy game to play tho. Benning really wanted PLD for the C depth, after that he was clearly thinking top pairing D which is what the scouting reports had on Juolevi. Tkachuk wasn't viewed as a high skill winger, and we don't know what went on behind the scenes either. 

It looks bad because of Juolevi's injuries, but picking in the order of C, top D, winger isn't the worst way to go about assessing talent. 

I respectively and strongly disagree....there was no hindsight involved when you look at Tkachuk's one year of juniour stats below.

....and to top it all off, he scored the game winning goal in the Memorial Cup Final playing on a badly sprained ankle.

Of course, I'm not going to forget about this very bad decision.

as a long time Canuck fan since 1970, this will go down as one of the worst decisions....second only to Cam Neely trade.

at the time of the pick, I was shocked and upset at this decision...when the player has hockey pedigree in abundance and his stats show how good of a player he is, it was an obvious pick behind only Austin Matthews and Patrick Laine.

Capture1.PNG.bc265706cfc5759aa3fc77006c19ab3a.PNG

• Hydration 2

12 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I respectively and strongly disagree....there was no hindsight involved when you look at Tkachuk's one year of juniour stats below.

....and to top it all off, he scored the game winning goal in the Memorial Cup Final playing on a badly sprained ankle.

as a long time Canuck fan since 1970, this will go down as one of the worst decisions....second only to Cam Neely trade.

at the time of the pick, I was shocked and upset at this decision...when the player has hockey pedigree in abundance and his stats show how good of a player he is, it was an obvious pick behind only Austin Matthews and Patrick Laine.

totally agree... it was a complete shock to everyone at the draft that we didnt take MT. To make matters even worse, it was very well known that Calgary was trying to move up in the draft to take MT. Even if JB wanted a d-man, he could have swung a deal with Calgary to drop down a pick.  I will absolutely give JB credit for his drafting of Boeser, EP and Hughes but at the same time he deserves to be critisized over this drafting blunder

• Hydration 2

1 minute ago, TheAce said:

totally agree... it was a complete shock to everyone at the draft that we didnt take MT. To make matters even worse, it was very well known that Calgary was trying to move up in the draft to take MT. Even if JB wanted a d-man, he could have swung a deal with Calgary to drop down a pick.  I will absolutely give JB credit for his drafting of Boeser, EP and Hughes but at the same time he deserves to be critisized over this drafting blunder

totally agree.

21 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Meh - it wasn't that much of a stretch at the time. Juolevi was no slouch in his draft year either. Check out his awards from that year:

2015-2016

All the standard draft ranking sources had Tkachuk over Juolevi, but most had them close (#4 & #5 on McKeen's and Hockeyprospect). But Canucks had to start drafting defensemen. They hadn't used a 1st OR 2nd round pick on a D-man in eight years (Yann Sauve, 2008). If the same scouting team that identified Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes thought he was worth the reach, then he might have been worth the reach. Unfortunately, injuries have completely derailed his development. I mean, it could happen to anyone - had Tkachuk had the injuries OJ has had, and OJ didn't, instead MT would be struggling and everyone would be praising the Canucks for foresight...which is ironic, because usually you can't predict injuries.

You win some, you lose some. As much as people have criticized taking Juolevi over Tkachuk, it will likely pale in comparison to the scorn Arizona and Detroit will be subject to years for passing on Hughes.

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Meh - it wasn't that much of a stretch at the time. Juolevi was no slouch in his draft year either. Check out his awards from that year:

2015-2016

All the standard draft ranking sources had Tkachuk over Juolevi, but most had them close (#4 & #5 on McKeen's and Hockeyprospect). But Canucks had to start drafting defensemen. They hadn't used a 1st OR 2nd round pick on a D-man in eight years (Yann Sauve, 2008). If the same scouting team that identified Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes thought he was worth the reach, then he might have been worth the reach. Unfortunately, injuries have completely derailed his development. I mean, it could happen to anyone - had Tkachuk had the injuries OJ has had, and OJ didn't, instead MT would be struggling and everyone would be praising the Canucks for foresight...which is ironic, because usually you can't predict injuries.

You win some, you lose some. As much as people have criticized taking Juolevi over Tkachuk, it will likely pale in comparison to the scorn Arizona and Detroit will be subject to years for passing on Hughes.

lol... Hughes is a beauty.