The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning

Rate this topic

aqua59

Getting rid of Green and hiring Gallant and re-signing Markstrom and Toffoli will go a long way to fix our problems.  Benning has given us lots of depth on the farm and in the system as well as two superstars currently on the team.  Madden most likely wouldn't have even made this club as we have Gaudette as our 3rd C and Benning did mention that he thought Madden would be a winger in the NHL.  And we have plenty of right wingers in our system, Podkolzin, Lind, etc. to fill the gap.  

We also need to bring in a couple defenceman who can take the body and stick up for our teammates.  Tryamkin could be one of those.  Joel Edmundson could be another as he is a UFA this summer and is only 26.  Replace Fatenberg and Stecher with those two big bodies and our defence will look much different. 

I agree we need to get rid of some deadwood.  The best case scenario is we convince Loui to retire as we have not sent him to Utica, and use Demko and Stecher as sweeteners to get rid of Sutter and Roussel.

• Like 1

Just now, WalkWithElias40 said:

Man we hired someone to deal with our cap situation, benning has a plan let it play it out and see what they have up their sleeves 

Wouldn’t it have been better, in dealing with our cap, to use Madden and a second as sweetener to dump Loui, Sutter, or Bear?  But did JB waste (IMO) those two assets because of pressure from the owner?  

Benning is not perfect but who is.  

There have been a lot of bad signings, in that the deals have been a little to rich +/or a little to long.

There have been some questionable trades.

There have also been some good signings and good trades.

My feeling hasn't changed, I think he does the most important part of the job well, he drafts and developed well.  Some of this is luck.  ie.  I give him a lot of credit for drafting EP, that was a bit of a reach, I give him no credit for drafting Quinn Hughes, that was luck that he fell and a no-brainer choice.

It is next year and the following year that we will see if he can work his way out of some of the issues he has created with his cap management.

We need to have Markstrom back, Demo does not look ready.  We really need to lose one or two of the big contracts.

Frankly Toffoli is probably the next most important to re-sign.

I just find it hard to believe that there is a buyer out there for Sutter, Beagle or Roussel one of which needs to go this summer.

I don't buy the magical thinking that Louie will retire after his bonus and I certainly don't believe he is tradeable.

This off season will be pivotal for Benning as he now needs to find a way to correct some of his mistakes before the real cost of them becomes apparent.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If the Canucks miss the playoffs it will be Green that will be leaving not the guy who drafted Petey and Quinn.

Oh please, my grandma could've drafted Hughes.  And imagine this team without Hughes, what a joke.  Besides all those years of being the worst team in the league I would expect some good prospects.

OP you forgot about the Myers contract, he'll be Loui 2.0 as early as next year.

6 minutes ago, sassbs said:

Is everyone forgetting what this man has done to this club?  Sure he has made some questionable moves, which GM hasn’t?  
Before he showed up our top prospects were who?  Gaunce and Shinikuruk (sp?). 

Now look at what we have.  So much depth that trading madden wasn’t an issue.  Granted he came in 2014... and it’s been slightly over 5 years but during those 5 years he has made this club into an exciting dynamic team. 

I love what Benning has done!   It’s the rest of the staff that needs to piss off!  Including green/pp/pk coaches.   

Lol, not quite.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Benning isn't the problem. He's done what has been needed with this team. Markstrom's injury is very unfortunate, and this is where Green needs to step up and get his guys motivated. And keep them motivated. Interviewing after the game and complimenting the Jackets isn't my cup of tea. They were missing half they good players and still beat us badly in the last 8 minutes of the game. This isn't Benning's fault. Get a new coach, get this team focused.

• Haha 1

Not too worried. We started a road trip, JUST as Markstrom went down with Injury. We need a few days where Demko and the new guy can work with Clark and get their games back. I think this was more bad timing than anything.

That said, I would have preferred that Benning went out at the deadline and added Miller from Anaheim for a solid veteran presence, but the asking price might have been too high. He had a modified trade list where he would submit 6 teams, maybe he really didn't want to be moved and submitted teams that would never trade for him.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

His contract is up, and it certainly looks like he’s moving on.  I don’t think his leaving is connected to JB (maybe?) getting fired though. 

Brackett leaves it’s over. Game over man!!!

75E4F28A-5058-40F5-AF2A-0B6AA4AB21D2.png

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Too bad your Grandma doesn't work for Detroit, Montreal, Arizona or Ottawa.  They all passed on Quinn and could really use him right now.  Maybe you should give those teams your Grandma's phone number...

She's listed in the phone book - they can get her phone number themselves.

8 minutes ago, sassbs said:

Brackett leaves it’s over. Game over man!!!

75E4F28A-5058-40F5-AF2A-0B6AA4AB21D2.png

100%

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

How many head coaches should Benning get to hire and fire?

1 more! In all honesty, this is the first year Benning has iced HIS team. When he took this job, at the time, we all knew this was a minimum 5 year plan. Well here we are, the Benning team has arrived, If he truly believes Green is the right coach to carry this team to the next level then  I will change my opinion.

In other words, if there's a new coach on the bench before October 1st, Benning stays.... If Green shows up to training camp, then both Benning and Green need to go. 

Fair?

• Cheers 1

I’m not sure what people expect....this is classic Canucks.

first off this team, the player group....not the GM or Coach...it’s the players that are on the ice that need to learn how to win.

now Whiners quit your whining and grow up

yes I’m that guy

3067A75D-3447-4CA1-B1BF-6C6D00C8FEAC.jpeg

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2