The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning

Rate this topic

aqua59

8 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

No, just a more reliable source. But you are right as well, there is a lot of crap hearsay on here, but also in/on the media.

i tend not believe the ‘someone said...’ rumours that seem to often be unsubstantiated. No offence directed towards you.

Sometimes where there is smoke there is fire too though

20 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I think there's a difference between a player that is driven to be the best versus a player with "attitude". When McCann got drafted, he didn't look happy at all (not quite Steve Francis level though). This "attitude" is generally what is seen from their draft interviews and behind the scenes happenings that we don't always see. Things like what is alluded to later from other reports that show further of the poor attitude is what you don't hear from players that are instead simply driven players. There's a reason why scouts also look into the parents who show their upbringing for their character beyond potential physical growth as well.

An example of a player that I believe to have a poor attitude is someone like Duchene as demonstrated from the Ottawa incident. Every team he's been on hasn't been very good (not solely on him, but based on what happened in Ottawa, we don't know what type of effect he would have). He's a skilled player, but he's not a guy that you generally see as taking your team to another level.

So yes a poor attitude can be a massive difference maker.

I don't see this as a guy who is unhappy to be here.

I think there is maybe more than just "driven" and "attitude", there is also "lazy" and "complacent"

I agree that I would not want Duchene on my team, I think of his ilk as "complacent" Kyle Turris falls into that catagory as well. Weren't they traded for each other at one time?

Here is, "it is what it is"

does not set off alarms for me,

He made a few slip ups with word choices, I would attribute to excitement

have we ever heard flack from Sid or Geno?

that would go a long way to my thinking he has a bad attitude

here is an article that sounds pretty good for McCann

with all the talk about "media suck" this one is pretty positive

with a kind of funny but true poke at Canuck fans

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-draft-pick-mccann-thriving-penguins

Edited by lmm

59 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

No, just a more reliable source. But you are right as well, there is a lot of crap hearsay on here, but also in/on the media.

i tend not believe the ‘someone said...’ rumours that seem to often be unsubstantiated. No offence directed towards you.

No offence taken for sure, I generally prefer direct  and honest :)

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Lazurus said:

"it is what it is" in reference to being selected 24th, sliding down the draft. at one time he was 3rd.

The team can use 5 or 6 more Keslers. One thing to consider is the way Kesler played he may have been aware that his shelf life was very limited and he didn't have time to wait for a rebuild.

Another thing is Kesler had no leverage in a trade, it was all on Benning whether he was traded at all and where. Kesler was still under contract for another year. Benning lack of strength or leadership. I guess thats why he signed all those declining players to over paid long term clause contracts.

This post is a load of malarkey, if a player doesn't want to play for a team, he becomes a cancer in the locker room. You want 5 or 6 of them? Name one team that kept a guy after he cried for a trade publicly. You sure got JB pegged on his strength and leadership, huh? Kesler and Luongo forced the Canucks to rebuild by demanding to be traded. They put themselves above their teammates and showed the Canucks young players what type of leaders they really are. That isn't strength, thats selfish BS. I don't think you are a good judge of leadership if you want 5 or 6 guys that don't want to be here. Messier was considered one of the best leaders in all sports, did that matter here when the locker room was divided? As for your last sentence, you mean those signings that have them in a playoff spot with less than 15 games remaining? I'll go out on a limb and guess it's the Beagle, Rousell, Ferland and Myers signings you don't like. Not of them was a terrible signing. Rousell has been good, Ferland doesn't hurt them, LTIR. Any one that doesn't like Myers is clueless, Beagle adds a veteran cup winner that stands up for his teammates.  Of course the Eriksson signing was bad, every team in the league has them. Not as easy as EA sports. Let me ask you this, money aside, do you think the Canucks would be better off not signing these guys? They were all good options for what they bring during those free agency periods. Who do you propose we should have signed or none at all? Maybe some of those miracle trades? Free agents ALWAYS GET MORE $$$ THAN RFA"S, i wish people would pay attention to the details before spouting vitriolic nonsense. I can't stand JB bashers, JB is light years ahead of you at every conceivable aspect of hockey.

7 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

From 2014's barren shelves, to what we have today. Looks like a textbook-rebuild to me.

A couple of mistakes. Not completely ''textbook?'' 

Including mistakes, at the time, I was enthusiastic about him making. But only mistakes in hindsight. I supported the Gudbrandson trade. I was not keen, but gave a pass to Sutter's aquisition. I would have preferred we acquired a D at that time. Over G Miller as well.  I liked the Baertschi deal. I supported Juolevi's draft enthusiastically. I actually wanted Chychrun? But I was ringing the bell!

Opposite end, I did not like Millers trade from Tampa. I have been proven wrong. Nor hot on Toffoli. Time will tell shortly? In the middle, I had no idea who Boeser was?

But you have to evaluate the whole, not the parts.

We are worlds ahead!

People will enjoy hockey in Vancouver the next decade.

7 hours ago, lmm said:

I don't see this as a guy who is unhappy to be here

He was fine.

Had a bit of an abrasive personality. Wore his emotions externally. It made him dynamic in junior! Cost him some credibility & support to find his place in the pro's. Gain acceptance. Now that he has that? Some of the natural talents he always had are coming to the surface. Jake is also coming around, had maturing issues. Most do?

I am over 50. Relearning some of these same lessons.

I was never bothered by his trade. At the time we had center depth. Gaudette as a prospect, Bo finding his way behind Hank, beside (?) Sutter. We did need D. I believed he was expendable. Not because he was a bad egg, needed to mature? Because we had depth.

I wish Guddy turned out better? But a trade for D was a good move.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, lmm said:

I don't see this as a guy who is unhappy to be here.

I think there is maybe more than just "driven" and "attitude", there is also "lazy" and "complacent"

I agree that I would not want Duchene on my team, I think of his ilk as "complacent" Kyle Turris falls into that catagory as well. Weren't they traded for each other at one time?

Here is, "it is what it is"

does not set off alarms for me,

He made a few slip ups with word choices, I would attribute to excitement

have we ever heard flack from Sid or Geno?

that would go a long way to my thinking he has a bad attitude

here is an article that sounds pretty good for McCann

with all the talk about "media suck" this one is pretty positive

with a kind of funny but true poke at Canuck fans

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-draft-pick-mccann-thriving-penguins

I was referring more to his reaction after he was selected. Most players are quite excited to hear their name called, he looked expressionless.

Public interviews after PR prompts them, they know to put on a smile and push through it. I was referring to the draft interviews that GM and scouts have with the players prior to the draft and they get a taste of their character and they even go as far as interviewing their families sometimes to dig into their upbringing as well as looking at potential physical growth.

The comments from Beth and Pedan aren't deciding factors on players, but they likely corroborate the feelings from management. I don't know what is said in Pittsburgh as I don't follow all the minor happenings here, but Sid and Geno aren't Beth and Pedan and likely wouldn't put comments like that to the public. Much like the Sedins never said anything about him either if that's the standard. Plus keep in mind that he's been traded twice now, so perhaps that's a wake up call for him as well to get his act together or maybe he's finally on a team he wants to be on.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I was referring more to his reaction after he was selected. Most players are quite excited to hear their name called, he looked expressionless.

Public interviews after PR prompts them, they know to put on a smile and push through it. I was referring to the draft interviews that GM and scouts have with the players prior to the draft and they get a taste of their character and they even go as far as interviewing their families sometimes to dig into their upbringing as well as looking at potential physical growth.

The comments from Beth and Pedan aren't deciding factors on players, but they likely corroborate the feelings from management. I don't know what is said in Pittsburgh as I don't follow all the minor happenings here, but Sid and Geno aren't Beth and Pedan and likely wouldn't put comments like that to the public. Much like the Sedins never said anything about him either if that's the standard. Plus keep in mind that he's been traded twice now, so perhaps that's a wake up call for him as well to get his act together or maybe he's finally on a team he wants to be on.

I saw the split second look as he stands after his name is called,its not a great look, but it lasted less than a second and you are extrapolating his hatred (is that too harsh a term) for Vancouver from it. People post bad pics on the internet all the time of there significant others that look just a s poor.Cameras can be harsh.

But it you take away Beth and Andrey, the only thing said about McCann in Vancouver come from Daniel and it was veiled (not named) and about both he and Jake. To me it just said the Sedins are salty and old and cannot relate to young players. As I mentioned it was shortly after the team was showing them off as Beibs buds, whhich I always thought was foolish media.For all the good the Sedins did for Vancouver, they struggled to find a complimentary winger, Daniel didn't like playing with Kassian either. I'd better not go down that road though. THere are some teams and GMs that being traded from cannot be looked at a a black mark against the player, Florida is one of them, NYI, Ottawa, (both gave up on Chara) Arizona and Edmonton are others. Fla also fired Gallant and booted Talon upstairs and back down again. I think they got about 43 games out of the 2 players the received for McCann and  Bjugstad. That is ijust a poor trade. 

But I agree with Surfer, the McCann trade out of Vancouver was an exchange of assets. I support GMs making trades that are an exchange of assets. It seems since Gillis was here that fans always want to "WIN" every trade, that they must include some wash up leaving Vancouver and should bring back a star we can gloat over for the next decade.

I like Talon but he is prone to mistakes, Bjugs and McCann have almost as many goals in Pittsburg as Sheehan and Brassard played games for Fla.

Not Dales finest hour.

Anyhow,if you have any morre stories about how bad a guy mcCann is, I might change my mind, but at this point i would take him back at a fair price. Not Brock Boeser and a 1st and not Loui Ericksson, Sven  and Sutter

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

I saw the split second look as he stands after his name is called,its not a great look, but it lasted less than a second and you are extrapolating his hatred (is that too harsh a term) for Vancouver from it. People post bad pics on the internet all the time of there significant others that look just a s poor.Cameras can be harsh.

But it you take away Beth and Andrey, the only thing said about McCann in Vancouver come from Daniel and it was veiled (not named) and about both he and Jake. To me it just said the Sedins are salty and old and cannot relate to young players. As I mentioned it was shortly after the team was showing them off as Beibs buds, whhich I always thought was foolish media.For all the good the Sedins did for Vancouver, they struggled to find a complimentary winger, Daniel didn't like playing with Kassian either. I'd better not go down that road though. THere are some teams and GMs that being traded from cannot be looked at a a black mark against the player, Florida is one of them, NYI, Ottawa, (both gave up on Chara) Arizona and Edmonton are others. Fla also fired Gallant and booted Talon upstairs and back down again. I think they got about 43 games out of the 2 players the received for McCann and  Bjugstad. That is ijust a poor trade. 

But I agree with Surfer, the McCann trade out of Vancouver was an exchange of assets. I support GMs making trades that are an exchange of assets. It seems since Gillis was here that fans always want to "WIN" every trade, that they must include some wash up leaving Vancouver and should bring back a star we can gloat over for the next decade.

I like Talon but he is prone to mistakes, Bjugs and McCann have almost as many goals in Pittsburg as Sheehan and Brassard played games for Fla.

Not Dales finest hour.

Anyhow,if you have any morre stories about how bad a guy mcCann is, I might change my mind, but at this point i would take him back at a fair price. Not Brock Boeser and a 1st and not Loui Ericksson, Sven  and Sutter

Most players as soon as they're called are beaming for the fact that they got drafted. It wasn't just a split second. His dad didn't even looked pleased about it. Why they didn't look pleased? Who knows but it wasn't a good look. Perhaps he was hoping to fall one more pick below to Boston as he talked about Bergeron being one of the players he wanted to emulate (along with Kesler who was dealt for his pick). Perhaps he wanted to be in Pittsburgh all along who drafted two spots before us. 

We traded McCann because he had value. He had some skill, but he was expendable for some reason. Depth could be one thing, but he wasn't viewed as an important piece to build the team with. We could have kept him as a winger if there wasn't center space. We needed defense for sure, but unlike someone like Gaudette (who was a rumoured target for Subban), Benning had no problem moving him out.

I have nothing personally against McCann. I responded to some rumour that suggested that Benning didn't want McCann and I was simply trying to piece together what may have transpired and based on how we have been drafting. We see brief snippets of their real selves in the public eye, which is why stories that come from people like Beth and Andrey may seem small, but they can corroborate notions that are debated on. Benning and management know far more on what goes on behind the scenes and likely their true character (as mentioned from player and possibly family interviews that we don't see or hear about often). Things may play out differently for them as they have more knowledge of the situation. This isn't about winning the trade but trying to determine why McCann was sent packing so quickly after he had been drafted.

McCann is an okay player, but nothing really special about him. He isn't better than any of our current top 6 forwards and his production is around our current 3rd line. He had more minutes when Sid and Geno went down, but started getting his minutes cut when they returned and Pittsburgh added Zucker and Marleau. He went from a hot start of 12 points in 18 games back to under 0.5 PPG for the rest of the season. I like what we have coming up in the system, so I don't have great interest in bringing him back especially if what I believe is to be true.

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Most players as soon as they're called are beaming for the fact that they got drafted. It wasn't just a split second. His dad didn't even looked pleased about it. Why they didn't look pleased? Who knows but it wasn't a good look. Perhaps he was hoping to fall one more pick below to Boston as he talked about Bergeron being one of the players he wanted to emulate (along with Kesler who was dealt for his pick). Perhaps he wanted to be in Pittsburgh all along who drafted two spots before us. 

We traded McCann because he had value. He had some skill, but he was expendable for some reason. Depth could be one thing, but he wasn't viewed as an important piece to build the team with. We could have kept him as a winger if there wasn't center space. We needed defense for sure, but unlike someone like Gaudette (who was a rumoured target for Subban), Benning had no problem moving him out.

I have nothing personally against McCann. I responded to some rumour that suggested that Benning didn't want McCann and I was simply trying to piece together what may have transpired and based on how we have been drafting. We see brief snippets of their real selves in the public eye, which is why stories that come from people like Beth and Andrey may seem small, but they can corroborate notions that are debated on. Benning and management know far more on what goes on behind the scenes and likely their true character (as mentioned from player and possibly family interviews that we don't see or hear about often). Things may play out differently for them as they have more knowledge of the situation. This isn't about winning the trade but trying to determine why McCann was sent packing so quickly after he had been drafted.

McCann is an okay player, but nothing really special about him. He isn't better than any of our current top 6 forwards and his production is around our current 3rd line. He had more minutes when Sid and Geno went down, but started getting his minutes cut when they returned and Pittsburgh added Zucker and Marleau. He went from a hot start of 12 points in 18 games back to under 0.5 PPG for the rest of the season. I like what we have coming up in the system, so I don't have great interest in bringing him back especially if what I believe is to be true.

Fair enough, I just think the character issue is overblown.

Maybe Jim just decided McCann was going to top out as a 20 goal scorer and he felt dealing him early was going to get the best value, while some still thought he was a second liner.

Gudbranson got traded twice and so did Pearson, it happens

If anything Guber is short on skill and decision making under pressure

What is your take on Pearson?

11 hours ago, Timbermen said:
17 hours ago, Lazurus said:

"it is what it is" in reference to being selected 24th, sliding down the draft. at one time he was 3rd.

The team can use 5 or 6 more Keslers. One thing to consider is the way Kesler played he may have been aware that his shelf life was very limited and he didn't have time to wait for a rebuild.

Another thing is Kesler had no leverage in a trade, it was all on Benning whether he was traded at all and where. Kesler was still under contract for another year. Benning lack of strength or leadership. I guess thats why he signed all those declining players to over paid long term clause contracts.

This post is a load of malarkey, if a player doesn't want to play for a team, he becomes a cancer in the locker room. You want 5 or 6 of them? Name one team that kept a guy after he cried for a trade publicly. You sure got JB pegged on his strength and leadership, huh? Kesler and Luongo forced the Canucks to rebuild by demanding to be traded. They put themselves above their teammates and showed the Canucks young players what type of leaders they really are. That isn't strength, thats selfish BS. I don't think you are a good judge of leadership if you want 5 or 6 guys that don't want to be here. Messier was considered one of the best leaders in all sports, did that matter here when the locker room was divided? As for your last sentence, you mean those signings that have them in a playoff spot with less than 15 games remaining? I'll go out on a limb and guess it's the Beagle, Rousell, Ferland and Myers signings you don't like. Not of them was a terrible signing. Rousell has been good, Ferland doesn't hurt them, LTIR. Any one that doesn't like Myers is clueless, Beagle adds a veteran cup winner that stands up for his teammates.  Of course the Eriksson signing was bad, every team in the league has them. Not as easy as EA sports. Let me ask you this, money aside, do you think the Canucks would be better off not signing these guys? They were all good options for what they bring during those free agency periods. Who do you propose we should have signed or none at all? Maybe some of those miracle trades? Free agents ALWAYS GET MORE $$$ THAN RFA"S, i wish people would pay attention to the details before spouting vitriolic nonsense. I can't stand JB bashers, JB is light years ahead of you at every conceivable aspect of hockey

:lol::lol::lol:

So you grant a player that asks for a trade carde blanche, you give all the power to him and screw the team in a trade. That isn't good for a team. On the ohter hand a player that keeps wanting more ice time is motivated. I would hope there are more than 5 or 6 on the team now.

Kesler asked for a trade so dim jim didn't bother to shop him around because Kesler didn't want to be traded to some teams right? What gave Kesler the power to select where he would be traded? He didn't have a clause contract. Benning limited himself and the team.

FYI Benning had nothing to do with the Luongo trade and if you did know anything it would be that the team had already told him he was to be traded before they dealt Schneider, they had already jerked him around.

You know by your standards player should pay the Canucks to play here right? Crosby and McDavid should demand to be here for free! As far as player paying to be here what do you think taking a home town discount is? Kesler led the way there which got more players following and accepting less to play here, in a sense they did pay to play here.

Playoff spot, in your fantasy game maybe but in reality they are still not in the playoffs and to that end they are barely over a .500 team, 36W and 33L.and still in the bottom third of the league.

I don't see Roussel, Beagle, Sutter, Ferland, helping the team, they aren't hurting iy but they are not driving up the standings and they are not getting better each year either as they get into their mid 30's. But they can't be traded so they take up a roster spot that a younger player might have delaying improved performance by the team as the new players get acclimatized to the NHL game.

FA signed by Benning do get more than market value and he throws in a clause to boot for a longer term, just so they don't want a trade after getting here.

Maybe instead of signing ALL the older guys 2 or 3 prospects should have been given an opportunity, you know all those great draft picks, maybe a few more of the 40+ should have been given a roster spot to compete for, I mean it isn't like this is or was a winning team, over the last years they have been the worst, so really all Benning did was spend money and delay younger players from getting a real shot for an open roster spot on the team. 50 losses is 50 losses but there were no youong players on it to learn and improve, only older over paid thankful veterans on retirement contracts.

I like Myers as a signing, a lot more than the Gudbranson trade.

I think Tryamkin will return to form and be better than before.

I think the team should have traded for more draft picks

I think the team should have used capspace and the rebuild time to trade for more draft picks

I think seven to eight years with only 4 young drafted players on the team is a disgrace.

I think just about every team in the league having more players under 24 on it shows a lack of rebuilding by Benning.

I think capping out the team every year hurt in the trade market at TDL time.

I think Benning handcuffed the team with all the clause contracts he signed

I think Benning thinks fans are stupid and will drink any kool aid he supplies

I think the team has been losing so badly for so long that fans think not being 2nd to last in the division is a huge accomplishment even if it only because two teams faltered

I think, but hope not, the team will be doing another rebuild in two years something like Colorado did where young stars are traded for multiple picks and top prospects and top five draft picks will play significant roles. Ya, ya, Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes, but what about the other first rounders

Edited by Lazurus

On 4/30/2020 at 11:53 AM, Lazurus said:

So you grant a player that asks for a trade carde blanche, you give all the power to him and screw the team in a trade. That isn't good for a team. On the ohter hand a player that keeps wanting more ice time is motivated. I would hope there are more than 5 or 6 on the team now.

Kesler asked for a trade so dim jim didn't bother to shop him around because Kesler didn't want to be traded to some teams right? What gave Kesler the power to select where he would be traded? He didn't have a clause contract. Benning limited himself and the team.

FYI Benning had nothing to do with the Luongo trade and if you did know anything it would be that the team had already told him he was to be traded before they dealt Schneider, they had already jerked him around.

You know by your standards player should pay the Canucks to play here right? Crosby and McDavid should demand to be here for free! As far as player paying to be here what do you think taking a home town discount is? Kesler led the way there which got more players following and accepting less to play here, in a sense they did pay to play here.

Playoff spot, in your fantasy game maybe but in reality they are still not in the playoffs and to that end they are barely over a .500 team, 36W and 33L.and still in the bottom third of the league.

I don't see Roussel, Beagle, Sutter, Ferland, helping the team, they aren't hurting iy but they are not driving up the standings and they are not getting better each year either as they get into their mid 30's. But they can't be traded so they take up a roster spot that a younger player might have delaying improved performance by the team as the new players get acclimatized to the NHL game.

FA signed by Benning do get more than market value and he throws in a clause to boot for a longer term, just so they don't want a trade after getting here.

Maybe instead of signing ALL the older guys 2 or 3 prospects should have been given an opportunity, you know all those great draft picks, maybe a few more of the 40+ should have been given a roster spot to compete for, I mean it isn't like this is or was a winning team, over the last years they have been the worst, so really all Benning did was spend money and delay younger players from getting a real shot for an open roster spot on the team. 50 losses is 50 losses but there were no youong players on it to learn and improve, only older over paid thankful veterans on retirement contracts.

I think the team should have used capspace and the rebuild time to trade for more draft picks

I think seven to eight years with only 4 young drafted players on the team is a disgrace.

I think just about every team in the league having more players under 24 on it shows a lack of rebuilding by Benning.

I think the team has been losing so badly for so long that fans think not being 2nd to last in the division is a huge accomplishment even if it only because two teams faltered

I think, but hope not, the team will be doing another rebuild in two years something like Colorado did where young stars are traded for multiple picks and top prospects and top five draft picks will play significant roles. Ya, ya, Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes, but what about the other first rounders

Horvat, EP, QH, BB, Gauds, Jake, Demko... = 7... ? And will be very surprised, if there won't be another 2 or 3 next season as well starting with Trym (if he comes), and the year after at least 1 (Podz) and most likely more... 

Players matures at different rates...

Benning did try to throw youth in to the line up from the start with both Jake and McCann... It didn't't work too well, did it? 

When/if 3 more draft picks will be in the line up during next season. That would be nearly half the team made up of draft picks from the last 7 years, starting with Bo in 2013, with more to come.

I don't think thats too bad.

Edited by spook007
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lmm said:

Fair enough, I just think the character issue is overblown.

Maybe Jim just decided McCann was going to top out as a 20 goal scorer and he felt dealing him early was going to get the best value, while some still thought he was a second liner.

Gudbranson got traded twice and so did Pearson, it happens

If anything Guber is short on skill and decision making under pressure

What is your take on Pearson?

McCann did get traded twice by age 22 though unlike those players. However, that's not to say that being traded is a clear indication of poor character, it simply adds to the fact that he's had some questionable remarks about him.

I just believe character is very important to this organization and there was a change in emphasis towards this for our drafting which could be attributed to our newfound success in that department. It is hard to distinguish confidence and arrogance sometimes, but that's why the scouting department does their due diligence through their interviews and such. It could be argued that our players are "too nice" without some of that attitude, but they seem to be guys that want to play for each other and want to play for the Canucks because most feel loyal to the team that drafted them. It's much easier to root for the success of these players even if we have to move on from them to improve the team (but it also makes it harder to lose these types of players).

Pearson was a solid player in LA. He was someone at that time that I never thought we could acquire. His stock dropped after being traded for whatever reason and it was nice to see him bounce back with us for a player that was heading in the wrong direction for us (although I was rooting for Gudbranson to succeed here and think maybe things would've been different with some better partners other than his usual Pouliot/Hutton partnership).

• Huggy Bear 1

7 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Shocking amount of wrong here. This is like the Mona Lisa of dumb fan posts.It should be preserved so that future generations of  fans can gather in a crowded hall to marvel at such an encyclopedic-ly comprehensive collection of bad/innacurate takes. 

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

Horvat, EP, QH, BB, Gauds, Jake, Demko... = 7... ? And will be very surprised, if there won't be another 2 or 3 next season as well starting with Trym (if he comes)and MacEwan, and the year after at least 1 (Podz) and most likely more... 

Players matures at different rates...

Benning did try to throw youth in to the line up from the start with both Jake and McCann... It didn't't work too well, did it? 

When/if 3 more draft picks will be in the line up during next season. That would be nearly half the team made up of draft picks from the last 7 years, starting with Bo in 2013, with more to come.

I don't think thats too bad.

7 picks on the team as of now.  Trymakin, Rathbone, Hoglander, Lind, Podkolzin, DiPietro, Joulevi, Woo are likely to play eventually as well.  Macewan, Stecher and Rafferty are all good FA signings.  Sure Benning hasn't been perfect, but he has been awfully good at finding NHL level talent.  

Same goes for trades, hasn't been perfect, but has been very good as of late.  He built traded for half of our top 6 in Miller, Toffoli, and Pearson by giving up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd Madden, Gudbranson, Schaller.  That is solid.  His worst deals were early in his tenure, he has continually improved on the trade front.

Drafting and trades I'd say i'm very happy with JB so far.  UFA signings have been his weakest suit for sure.  Overall, given where this team is at now vs 5 years ago, I have to say I am very happy.  This has been a good rebuild so far on the whole, and  there are still a few key pieces on the way.

• Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, BCNate said:

7 picks on the team as of now.  Trymakin, Rathbone, Hoglander, Lind, Podkolzin, DiPietro, Joulevi, Woo are likely to play eventually as well.  Macewan, Stecher and Rafferty are all good FA signings.  Sure Benning hasn't been perfect, but he has been awfully good at finding NHL level talent.  

Same goes for trades, hasn't been perfect, but has been very good as of late.  He built traded for half of our top 6 in Miller, Toffoli, and Pearson by giving up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd Madden, Gudbranson, Schaller.  That is solid.  His worst deals were early in his tenure, he has continually improved on the trade front.

Drafting and trades I'd say i'm very happy with JB so far.  UFA signings have been his weakest suit for sure.  Overall, given where this team is at now vs 5 years ago, I have to say I am very happy.  This has been a good rebuild so far on the whole, and  there are still a few key pieces on the way.

I'd also argue that the UFA signings were mostly meant to be stop gap signings until prospects took over. So he probably didn't have the intention of looking for the best player, but rather simply build competition that is surpassable (stealth tank if you will). So harder to say if he's poor with UFA signings or more calculated.

8 hours ago, Lazurus said:

What gave Kesler the power to select where he would be traded? He didn't have a clause contract. Benning limited himself and the team.

Kesler had a full NTC when he was traded, so yeah there's that.