The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning

Rate this topic

aqua59

19 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Lucky Jim, it is. 

Team was sliding and was crippled up... surprise... then a virus likely saves the day in regards to pausing the season and eliminating some cap issues. 

Lucky Jim.

As I’ve stated elsewhere, I’ll take a lucky GM over most, any day. 

As much as I’ve criticized previous management decisions, going back to 2014, I admit that he has been lucky of late and I’m feeling pretty good about that today. 

Not really much to gripe about concerning the roster, for my tastes at least. Still a bit wimpy, but Lowry and Edmundson fit the age-build, if he could swing a deal. 

Lucky Jim, do your thing. 

There's nothing to do.  There's a trade freeze until the off-season, whenever that will be.  Even if the draft is to take place before the end of the season there will be no player trade per the league's memo.

It's only for the remainder of this season and the Canucks are still set to have some 1.7M in overage.  Some GMs still think the cap could decrease next season.  

26 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

The skeletons are starting to come out now

Imagined skeletons of yours?

You don't know what Toffoli made this year? 4.8 mil, he was on the top 2 lines in LA.

Yes, he was paid the previous going rate for a 2nd line F. He will now be paid the going rate for a 2nd forward in a league with covid reduced revenue. That will likely be at or just over $5m.

So he wants to move to a higher tax bracket and have his young wife quit her job and buy an overly expensive home here or just live in a hotel? He was always a rental.

Not sure what orifice you pulled the first bit from but yes, he may very well stay or go. That doesn't change his value as a 2nd line W.

Tanev, TO or Montreal will go after him.

They may. That likewise doesn't change his value.

Sign Markstrom and trade Demko, good move! Increase the Cap and get rid of more of the future.

Please show me where I suggested trading Demko? You seem to really enjoy red herring.

Baer is already over the cap even if they buy him out.

I don't even know what this means lol

At least you are true to your convictions that Benning etal are the best ever. 

Again, please quote where I said this. Another red herring. All I've done is point out nonsense you've posted.

Looking like Brackett will be with the many fired by these guys.

Brackett may stay or go but he has been offered an extension, he's not going to be fired. If he leaves, it will be of his own accord.

Edited by aGENT

31 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

At least you are true to your convictions that Be Looking like Brackett will be with the many fired by these guys.

First, not re-signing a guy, is not firing a guy

Second,  please name the many "fired by these guys"

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, mll said:

There's nothing to do.  There's a trade freeze until the off-season, whenever that will be.  Even if the draft is to take place before the end of the season there will be no player trade per the league's memo.

It's only for the remainder of this season and the Canucks are still set to have some 1.7M in overage.  Some GMs still think the cap could decrease next season.  

Understood. Thanks. 
Luck isn’t really something I’d set out to quantify. 
Same with trades... when the time comes, I Hope JB remains lucky, as do I with the few buyout options he has before him. 

I would almost rather see JB continue to retool nearest the emerging core than make contender-moves, unless those moves make the team significantly tougher to play against for the next few seasons as they continue to build. 

I am good with whatever, as long as there’s no more “nobody saw it” culture and team identity. 

Another aside I’d like to state is that I suspect a guy like QH would come out of the barrel and devastate our opponents, most likely the same goes for EP. They start fast, it seems, those two. I think they might start crazy fast if this ever gets going again.

JB needs to find them a Bure to spring. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Imagined skeletons of yours?

Yes, he was paid the previous going rate for a 2nd line F. He will now be paid the going rate for a 2nd forward in a league with covid reduced revenue. That will likely be at or just over $5m.

Not sure what orifice you pulled the first bit from but yes, he may very well stay or go. That doesn't change his value as a 2nd line W.

They may. That likewise doesn't change his value.

Please show me where I suggested trading Demko? You seem to really enjoy red herring.

I don't even know what this means lol

Again, please quote where I said this. Another red herring. All I've done is point out nonsense you've posted.

Brackett may stay or go but he has been offered an extension, he's not going to be fired. If he leaves, it will be of his own accord.

I see, you hooked me, good trolling.

Just about all is on the radio, internet and TV.

54 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Understood. Thanks. 
Luck isn’t really something I’d set out to quantify. 
Same with trades... when the time comes, I Hope JB remains lucky, as do I with the few buyout options he has before him. 

I would almost rather see JB continue to retool nearest the emerging core than make contender-moves, unless those moves make the team significantly tougher to play against for the next few seasons as they continue to build. 

I am good with whatever, as long as there’s no more “nobody saw it” culture and team identity. 

Another aside I’d like to state is that I suspect a guy like QH would come out of the barrel and devastate our opponents, most likely the same goes for EP. They start fast, it seems, those two. I think they might start crazy fast if this ever gets going again.

JB needs to find them a Bure to spring. 

Trades can happen any time, it is just after the TDL they cannot play until the season is over, minor but not NHL.

3 more years now.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

First, not re-signing a guy, is not firing a guy

Second,  please name the many "fired by these guys"

Just listen to what is happening now.

This happens all the time, news hits the radio, internet or whatever sources, Burke is a source.

The many, okay how about three guys responsible for drafting Pettersson, Linden, Bracket and the Swedish scout, his name is not on the tip of my tongue. 

Edited by Lazurus

9 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Trades can happen any time, it is just after the TDL they cannot play until the season is over, minor but not NHL.

3 more years now.

There is a roster freeze in effect - trades are not allowed until it is lifted.  Likely won't be until the off-season, whenever that is.  In their memo to teams on a possible June draft they told them that player trades won't be allowed then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

I see, you hooked me, good trolling.

Just about all is on the radio, internet and TV.

Yes, I'm the troll :rolleyes:

There's lots of things on radio, internet and TV. A good deal of it is fiction meant to entertain, not inform. Even what passes for 'news' these days. They're selling you a product. Think on that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yes, I'm the troll :rolleyes:

There's lots of things on radio, internet and TV. A good deal of it is fiction meant to entertain, not inform. Even what passes for 'news' these days. They're selling you a product. Think on that.

True, but not all of it is fiction and people have in recent years begun to pick and choose whichever information is convenient to a particular narrative and disregarding the rest as "fiction" or "fake news". While we should definitely demand higher reporting standards from the media, we also need to look at ourselves critically and find out our own biases and work to minimize them from our perception so that we can objectively criticize journalism.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Toews said:

True, but not all of it is fiction and people have in recent years begun to pick and choose whichever information is convenient to a particular narrative and disregarding the rest as "fiction" or "fake news". While we should definitely demand higher reporting standards from the media, we also need to look at ourselves critically and find out our own biases and work to minimize them from our perception so that we can objectively criticize journalism.

You can weave some pretty grandiose yarns with a few strings of truth ;)

But otherwise yes. My main point this entire thread is that this is being sold by the media and some posters here as a grand dramas full of deceit and intrigue when in reality, the facts we have point more to an employee perhaps wanting to spread their wings more than this means existing management structure allows.

That's it.

I'm not up or down playing Jim or Judd's abilities, motives or anything else.

I mean let's be honest, what's more likely? That a bunch of professional hockey guys at the peaks of their profession are childishly acting out some grand drama? Or that there's simply a management structural difference that means a good employee might look for a better fit elsewhere and a media that's even more desperate  than usual for something to sell you to consume and discuss and interact with on social media is doing just that? Selling you drama and intrigue and talking points.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

Just listen to what is happening now.

This happens all the time, news hits the radio, internet or whatever sources, Burke is a source.

The many, okay how about three guys responsible for drafting Pettersson, Linden, Bracket and the Swedish scout, his name is not on the tip of my tongue. 

So you can't name any of, "the many fired by these guys", but it won't stop you from wrongfully saying guys got fired?

Linden- not fired

Brackett not fired

Swedish scout, I have no idea who you are talking about here.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

But otherwise yes. My main point this entire thread is that this is being sold by the media and some posters here as a grand dramas full of deceit and intrigue when in reality, the facts we have point more to an employee perhaps wanting to spread their wings more than this means existing management structure allows.

That's it.

I mean let's be honest, what's more likely? That a bunch of professional hockey guys at the peaks of their profession are childishly acting out some grand drama? Or that there's simply a management structural difference that means a good employee might look for a better fit elsewhere and a media that's even more desperate  than usual for something to sell you to consume and discuss and interact with on social media is doing just that? Selling you drama and intrigue and talking points.

Ehh nothing really seems like "grand drama" to me. Its just the usual office politics, which lots of people have first hand experience in. I wouldn't describe it as childish, more like cut-throat, reading about Weisbrod's history definitely leaves you with an impression like someone else said earlier in this thread.

2 hours ago, Toews said:

Ehh nothing really seems like "grand drama" to me. Its just the usual office politics, which lots of people have first hand experience in. I wouldn't describe it as childish, more like cut-throat, reading about Weisbrod's history definitely leaves you with an impression like someone else said earlier in this thread.

There's definitely a few media and posters painting it that way.

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's definitely a few media and posters painting it that way.

Media likes sensationalism because it creates emotion in the audience. Emotional people keep coming back to the trough for more material to be emotional about. But that doesn't mean that I don't believe that Judd Brackett would be a terrible loss for this franchise. He's grown into his own here, climbing the ladder one rung at a time and is now an integral part of our draft process, which is one area where everyone can agree the Canucks have exceeded expectations. I hate the idea of tinkering with a process that works, you better have the right replacement in mind if you are going that route. Weisbrod to me just ain't it. Nope, I don't want anything to do with that $&!#sandwich. Maybe I am a little emotional after all. :unsure:

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Toews said:

Media likes sensationalism because it creates emotion in the audience. Emotional people keep coming back to the trough for more material to be emotional about.

Largely my entire argument.

But that doesn't mean that I don't believe that Judd Brackett would be a terrible loss for this franchise. He's grown into his own here, climbing the ladder one rung at a time and is now an integral part of our draft process, which is one area where everyone can agree the Canucks have exceeded expectations.

'Terrible' is a bit of a stretch IMO. By Brackett's own admission, Benning gave him his marching orders and revamped how and what they were scouting for. He's done a solid job under that supervision and framework and will likely to continue to do a good job with those tools and experience whether that's here or another team. A solid employee moving on is always a loss... But 'terrible'... yeah you might be:

Nope, I don't want anything to do with that $&!#sandwich. Maybe I am a little emotional after all. :unsure:

IMO, it's a standard employee outgrowing their existing framework situation. That happens literally millions of times a day all around the world and doesn't require anyone wearing a black or a white hat.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Largely my entire argument.

'Terrible' is a bit of a stretch IMO. By Brackett's own admission, Benning gave him his marching orders and revamped how and what they were scouting for. He's done a solid job under that supervision and framework and will likely to continue to do a good job with those tools and experience whether that's here or another team. A solid employee moving on is always a loss... But 'terrible'... yeah you might be:

IMO, it's a standard employee outgrowing their existing framework situation. That happens literally millions of times a day all around the world and doesn't require anyone wearing a black or a white hat.

We will have to agree to disagree on the magnitude of the "loss". 

19 hours ago, aGENT said:

That's it.

You can only testify to the accuracy if you are or have access to better information.

Of course opinion can be a judgement of available facts, not all specific, but using a basic common sense, I mean if you smell something bad you don't have to see it and if the smell has peculiar attributes such as a flower vs a rotten apple common sense would indicate good or bad.

Sometimes a preponderance of rumors can come from people who don't want their jobs or reputations put in jeopardy, but often where there is smoke there is fire.

There are lots of rumors out there and now it is hitting mainstream media and there are people admitting to hearing and telling what they hear, Vancouver is a laughing stock behind closed doors. Mainstream edia is now looking at thing like all the main players that drafted Pettersson, Hughes and Holander the people that were good will be gone less than 3 years later., That is a fact