The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning

Rate this topic

aqua59

39 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Oh please, my grandma could've drafted Hughes.  And imagine this team without Hughes, what a joke.  Besides all those years of being the worst team in the league I would expect some good prospects.

OP you forgot about the Myers contract, he'll be Loui 2.0 as early as next year.

Lol, not quite.

It's funny you say that but I was one of the few people on these forums who actually wanted Hughes. Everybody was talking about going for Bouchard and Noah Dobson. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Green's not the problem either. The 'problem' is that we have a young core, still learning to play at this level/transitioning out of a rebuild and inherently inconsistent... and an injured MVP goalie.

Bless you. Someone that knows what’s going on

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

It's funny you say that but I was one of the few people on these forums who actually wanted Hughes. Everybody was talking about going for Bouchard and Noah Dobson. 

I remember this as well. It’s wasn’t an exciting pick until we picked him. Because fans were surprised how well Petey was shaping up, they bandwagon the pick

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i’m not one of them. i blame the players. they can play the right way but use bad judgement some times. plus this team is still not a finished product. petey played better than he has for awhile. petey isn’t handling the rough rides he’s getting. the sedins went through it and petey has to, to. i see this team being really competitive in another 2 years. if they make the playoffs, great, if not, they try again next year. 

if JB feels green should go, he shouldn’t move now but at season’s end. the team is in tough and they don’t more issues to deal with. staying together is the most important thing they need to do.  it is bad enough, if they listen to the fans, knowing their own fans don’t believe in them. hopefully, they don’t read the message boards.  

just because some fans think green is the problem, doesn’t mean he is. it is obvious that this team isn’t good enough yet. 

just an opinion board.  we’re all entitled to ours. maybe somewhere in the middle we are both right.  until then, i’m going to cheer my team to the finish line. 

It could be some one or two players make misreads Joe, but I thinks it’s the system Green coaches.  He wants us to pressure the opponents’ D (on the forecheck, regardless of the type of possession they have.  And absolutely we cheer for our guys 100% of the time.  

Firing the lowest common denominator didn't solve anything post 2011 and never will when the owner's take it upon themselves ( and hey, it's their losing team!)

to GM and coach from the rafters looking for playoff dollars.   Unless the status quo changes at the very top, this team will never win a cup.

Trevor Linden's timeline was correct and was fired for not drinking the Aqua flavoured kool-aid.  Tsk.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Green's not the problem either. The 'problem' is that we have a young core, still learning to play at this level/transitioning out of a rebuild and inherently inconsistent... and an injured MVP goalie.

This doesn't hold water IMHO. The team was playing shaky and inconsistent well before Markstrom was injured. So that's a moot point.

In regards to the young core statement, this implies that the primary issue is inconsistency. i.e when the young core is struggling, so is the team. This is incorrect.

Hughes, Petterson, Bo, Gaudette, Virtanen are all on pace for career years, in Huggy's case, record breaking years. Our young core is not the issue. They have been very consistent, despite their colleagues. The issue is not our young guys, its everyone else.

Green has options, my issue is we have an extremely stubborn coach who takes zero risks, repeats obvious mistakes, and makes excuses when he should be learning. He is a first time NHL coach, who is acting like he has coach 1000 games. 

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

I love Jim Benning and the work he had done, rebuilt the farm team and rebuilt the prospect pool and if Jim Benning feels that MacEwen is ready to be a NHLer, and Green choose to sit him despite veterans not performing, it tells me that there's fraction between the management team and the coaching staff.   If the line-up is not cutting it in Montreal, Ottawa, and even Columbus game, there's something wrong.  His refusal to make line-up adjustment until injuries forced his hands tells me a lot about his decision.  Green is afraid to make some changes until it's too late.  I prefer to keep Benning and can Green as soon as this off-season and allow Benning to continue to do the work.  

Let's take a look at his deadline body of work, he allowed the guys to get some help after Boeser's injury, showing his confidence on this group and if they don't make the playoffs, it's the guys were given an opportunity and they blew it, it's not the management and it's veteran players letting Benning down.   Benning knows that he has stockpiled of prospect ready to replace and if veteran is out of the job, it's the veteran players themselves to be blamed, not the GM.  If Benning says that 7 of them are ready to take over, he meant it and he wants to see which veterans is worthy keeping and he has secretly made plans on which veterans to let go in place for the young players.   The issue is that the veterans take this game and their job for granted with the way they performed thinking that they will never lose their job as a NHLer.  Soon, they will be in for a rude awakening.   7 players is 1/3 of the roster spots easily to be replaced.                                            

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

We skipped the rebuild process and went right to spend to the cap, buy old vets and don't collect draft picks, now here we are.  If we miss our destination which is "barely make the playoffs" we are stuck sitting on our thumbs with yet another draft with a lack of picks to work with.  Collect picks/prospect and use them as currency to get yourself out of crap situations with like what we have for Loui.   We don't do anything creative, we just spend spend spend

Also, you forgot Spooner/Gagner buyout and Beagle.

The owner wants playoff $$$ and the GM needs to add playoffs to his resume.  People are drinking the kool-aid 

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

What happened the last 3-5 years?

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

This doesn't hold water IMHO. The team was playing shaky and inconsistent well before Markstrom was injured. So that's a moot point.

Yeah, that would be this part:

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

5 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

In regards to the young core statement, this implies that the primary issue is inconsistency. i.e when the young core is struggling, so is the team. This is incorrect.

Hughes, Petterson, Bo, Gaudette, Virtanen are all on pace for career years, in Huggy's case, record breaking years. Our young core is not the issue. They have been very consistent, despite their colleagues. The issue is not our young guys, its everyone else.

Green has options, my issue is we have an extremely stubborn coach who takes zero risks, repeats obvious mistakes, and makes excuses when he should be learning. He is a first time NHL coach, who is acting like he has coach 1000 games. 

No, they really haven't. Hughes maybe but pretty much the rest of our youth (while yes, continuing to improve) is still hugely inconsistent. Beyond that, I'd say the entire team, vets included, has looked tired and are also making mental errors which just compounds the issue. They're not robots.

Just now, Devron44 said:

I honestly want to know what was expected from this team, this year? because for a fan base that hasn’t seen a sniff of the playoffs in 4 years. You seem to think we should be contending. I see a lot of better teams on paper ahead of the Canucks. That GM, coaching aside. Just plain and simple better teams. So I ask why the heavy expectations?

Did everyone forget that we were expected to be a young, inconsistent, bubble team? :lol:

Fire everyone!!!!! :frantic:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

IMO that’s became kind of obvious from what Linden said in his latest radio interview.  He gave credit Bracket for the teams’ recent draft success.  Is it any wonder Linden quit, and Bracket is quitting too.  

Linden had no business being in a management role, frankly from what I could tell he had no clue what he was doing. I'm glad he left, and Benning has been steering the ship for the most part. Have there been bumps (bad contracts) on the way ?? for sure, but if you look at his overall body of work since he took over the Canucks are in a lot better shape. He has restocked prospects, and has put together a team that is at this moment competing for a chance to make the playoffs. I take that as a win.... If you took a poll at the beginning of THIS season, most of the posters would have been thrilled if you had told them we would be competing for a playoff spot at this stage of the season. From all that I have seen online; it seemed like Linden wanted to tank this season as well, and I for one am glad that did not happen. We got some games in hand, and a 3 game homestead coming up, all we can hope for now is that the Canucks win more then they lose for the rest of the season... thus basically ensuring they make the playoffs as the standings and the games in hand stand at this time. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I think several of us posters are on the record here of calling for Green to be replaced for a lot longer than just this road trip.  It’s been a couple months.  Green’s systems (especially his forecheck) as I have been pointing our out, don’t work in the NHL.  The D men are too good.  Or sure there will be the odd turnover, but in most cases we end up chasing, because we get caught.  Teams in the NHL fall back into a neutral zone trap because they must.  Green’s systems are for junior and the AHL.  

I remember in the past couple of months, people ate a lot of this as well

halloween bird GIF

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Did everyone forget that we were expected to be a young, inconsistent, bubble team? :lol:

Fire everyone!!!!! :frantic:

I don’t understand it at all. I don’t think Green or JB or Quinn freaking Hughes for that matter are perfect. Nobody is

Speaking Q Hughes, be funny if he’s not as consistent his second year pro. Fans will want to trade/fire him too

Edited by Devron44
  • Haha 1