The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks vs Coyotes - Wednesday March 4th 2020 at 7:30 PST - "Please don't lose again" Edition

Rate this topic

Salter

3 hours ago, You Mad Bro? said:

The argument between the “have fun and get your participation trophy” crowd and the “win and get your trophy” crowd has derailed this thread haha. Hopefully we can get this back on track. Also, participation trophies are garbage. What a terrible thing to teach children. It doesn’t matter how hard you work or what you accomplish. If you just show up people will award you. Jobs, degrees, raises, its all free! This is what’s lead to the entitled snowflakes we have today. Ok end rants. As far as the Canucks go. Huge 4 point game. Must be win. Expecting a good showing from the boys on home ice!

Participation trophies don't lead to the snowflakes.

The lack of consequences for being a little ass leads to snowflakes. Never being told no, never being properly held accountable by parents who are less involved in their lives than the electronic gadget of the day.

Then they get to the real world where people do say no, and there's no tantrum that can overturn that and suddenly it allll comes crashing down. It's fun to watch the meltdown from the sidelines, and I was raised by cows!

• Cheers 2

51 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

No team trends in the right direction "all throughout".  At least not many.  And then there have been the Tampa's....who did but then got knocked out.

Or the Blues, who were down and out then turned it around.

There can be a lot of volatility in things...much depending on timing, injuries, luck/hot cold streaks, officiating.

That's the beauty of this deal...that it can't be predicted on a runaway basis...that any team that makes it and has some good luck and timing can turn things into something.  It doesn't have to be sustained throughout.  Sure, there are predicted favourites but it's not a guarantee and it all resets come playoffs.  

All teams hit peaks and valleys.  This team has benefited from goaltending which has covered up some losses as wins.  But .... all teams "rely" on certain players at times to lead the charge.  We're not a whole lot different than other teams.  People just paint us as special in a bad way but really overlook a lot of good by doing that.

Many thought we'd finish in the bottom 5 or so this year.  So I'd say we've trended upward from that.

FTR, I liked what i heard from TG yesterday on the radio .... he is not about to apologize for his "style" of coaching.  Some call it stubbornness...I see it as consistent and unwavering.  We've seen the coaches of the past...poking, prodding, kicking, screaming.  He said he promised himself to remember what it feels like to be a player.....and that especially in a heated market like Van, NOT to throw his players under the bus.  He understands how that blows up here if the seed is planted.   I'm sure his players feel respected in that and it matters.

Sorry but it's a matter of be careful what you wish for.  Things don't always get better...they can become worse.

Deb, at the beginning of the season we (you, me, many others) were commenting on how much of a "team" this team was - infectious enthusiasm for one another after a goal, etc. They seemed very close knit...

Do you think it's still there, and being shown? It seems like it has been a little off to me lately (the last month or two?), but not sure if I am misreading it. Not saying there is a lot of dissension on the team, but they just don't seem to have the same "mojo"..... thoughts?

4 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

hopefully Horvat set up a players only meeting and they figured their stuff out. Petey has not tried very hard lately and Hughes has been trying to do a bit too much. everyone should be looking to miller and playing up to his level.

last Game Petey a goal and 2 assists is not trying? Hughes breaking records?  Miller  is playing good, but he is the one that should try to use his line mates a bit more!

• Cheers 1

Just now, bree2 said:

last Game Petey a goal and 2 assists is not trying? Hughes breaking records?  Miller  is playing good, but he is the one that should try to use his line mates a bit more!

When you watch Petey right now he is not skating very hard. at the start of the year he went hard every game. Hughes has been bad in his own zone.

13 minutes ago, rychicken said:

Deb, at the beginning of the season we (you, me, many others) were commenting on how much of a "team" this team was - infectious enthusiasm for one another after a goal, etc. They seemed very close knit...

Do you think it's still there, and being shown? It seems like it has been a little off to me lately (the last month or two?), but not sure if I am misreading it. Not saying there is a lot of dissension on the team, but they just don't seem to have the same "mojo"..... thoughts?

I think that this team has a few veterans who are a serious problem, who bring the team down with their poor effort and decisions. Antoine Roussel, Brandon Sutter, and Loui Eriksson are half of the bottom six, and are a drag on the overall effectiveness of the team.

These players are supposedly called on for their "veteran leadership" and are failing miserably. There are vets like Markstrom, Tanev, Edler, and Beagle who actually play with the same intensity as the young core, who put themselves on the line. They truly represent the best that a team can get from their veterans.

Hopefully Benning sees the lousy veterans for who they are and moves then for picks.

The team is fragmented right now and needs to sort it out.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

When you watch Petey right now he is not skating very hard. at the start of the year he went hard every game. Hughes has been bad in his own zone.

Petey has been flying dude. What are you talking about?? They only thing I’ve seen is he’s losing puck battles. He still needs to fill out 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, brownky said:

Participation trophies don't lead to the snowflakes.

The lack of consequences for being a little ass leads to snowflakes. Never being told no, never being properly held accountable by parents who are less involved in their lives than the electronic gadget of the day.

Then they get to the real world where people do say no, and there's no tantrum that can overturn that and suddenly it allll comes crashing down. It's fun to watch the meltdown from the sidelines, and I was raised by cows!

Agreed

Just now, Devron44 said:

Petey has been flying dude. What are you talking about?? They only thing I’ve seen is he’s losing puck battles. He still needs to fill out 

i've been able to watch most games this year. His effort in MTL was not there, in Tor it was also lacking. Last game was better but nowhere near his work effort from the start of the year.

1 minute ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

why is it some peeps have the need to put our players down, these kids you mention are out on the ice giving it their all and you want more, give these kids a break!!!!

• Cheers 1

Just now, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Getting slammed into the boards with impunity might be a factor. One thing Benning has to do, if he wants this team to get to the next level is sign or trade for a legitimate heavyweight to set the bar for defending the younger, smaller, more skilled players. Schenn made his presence known, and it counted. The players appreciated it.

The idea that the skilled players have to figure out how to stick up for themselves is ridiculous. I mean, it's a very Vancouver way of doing things, as the Sedins were left to dry most of their careers, never being given a linemate who would set the tone against the opposition.

If Pettersson is looking down that same barrel, I can't see why he'd tolerate the situation for too long.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Getting slammed into the boards with impunity might be a factor. One thing Benning has to do, if he wants this team to get to the next level is sign or trade for a legitimate heavyweight to set the bar for defending the younger, smaller, more skilled players. Schenn made his presence known, and it counted. The players appreciated it.

The idea that the skilled players have to figure out how to stick up for themselves is ridiculous. I mean, it's a very Vancouver way of doing things, as the Sedins were left to dry most of their careers, never being given a linemate who would set the tone against the opposition.

If Pettersson is looking down that same barrel, I can't see why he'd tolerate the situation for too long.

Petey needs to this. Did any of the stars touch Bure after this, i believe. nobody even breathed on him after.

AlarmingAmbitiousKilldeer-size_restricte

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Petey needs to fill out plain and simple. I agree with need to protect our players. But he can’t be the skinny kid forever if he wants to continue to be successful and get to another level 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Petey needs to fill out plain and simple. I agree with need to protect our players. But he can’t be the skinny kid forever if he wants to continue to be successful and get to another level 

He's not going to be the skinny kid forever, obviously. As he gets older, he'll fill out. In the meantime though, Benning needs at least one legitimate brute who has size, not just height. A player who actually enjoys the idea of sticking up for his teammates.

I'm hoping the days of signing half-assed, part-time "agitators" like Roussel are over.

He's not going to be the skinny kid forever, obviously. As he gets older, he'll fill out. In the meantime though, Benning needs at least one legitimate brute who has size, not just height. A player who actually enjoys the idea of sticking up for his teammates.

I'm hoping the days of signing half-assed, part-time "agitators" like Roussel are over.

I don’t know man it’s weird how we started losing after we started fighting. I believe there’s a time and place. But superstars get cheap shotted across the league. We just think we are special imo