The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks vs Coyotes - Wednesday March 4th 2020 at 7:30 PST - "Please don't lose again" Edition

Rate this topic

Salter

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Green is too soft.  It’s reflected in his passive philosophy and systems.  

It’s strange because he wasn’t that way as a player. And he’s played on some pretty gritty teams.

Makes you wonder if he just doesn’t think he has the roster to do it.

Just now, DeNiro said:

It’s strange because he wasn’t that way as a player. And he’s played on some pretty gritty teams.

Maybe he is still mad over this :lol:

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, canuktravella said:

if we miss playoffs we have our first rounder  and benning can trade vets for picks at draft  sutter tanev stecher benn baertchi goldobin roussel  could all be in play at  draft

Tanev and goldobin s contracts are up this year. Roussel, sutter, beagle, eriksson are the ones need to go. Good luck finding trades for them. 

I just think benning has played all his cards for this year and done more than enuf for this team to miss playoffs

4 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Cannot agree more.

Reminds me of Toffoli's first game with us when he was sticking up for EP. No other Canucks were even in the vicinity to help him. 

Sometimes Beagle would stir things up in front of the net, again he's on his own the rest of the guys are skating back to the bench. 

It's probably one of the reasons why Roussel has been a kitten this year. 

It’s clearly been a message delivered by Green.

You wonder how much of it has to do with reffing. Seems like more often than not we’re the ones getting the extra penalty for standing up for ourselves. Gotta wonder if he just believes it isn’t worth it.

1 minute ago, J-23 said:

Obviously your feelings got hurt since you replied to my one post twice.

Enjoy the game.

I take time outta my day to talk hockey with someone and they go outta their way to reply with a yawn emoji wtf the point. 

I will enjoy the game thanks 

• Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You wonder how much of it has to do with reffing. Seems like more often than not we’re the ones getting the extra penalty for standing up for ourselves. Gotta wonder if he just believes it isn’t worth it.

Regardless of what Green believes, the players need to create a  culture of having each other's backs.  You dont fight and sacrifice for guys who skate away when you are.being bullied or assaulted.  If green is dictating their reaction, the players need to either confront him or defy him.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That's what i was thinking too but i think there's more to it. 

Where was the team when Boeser got took a dirty hit from Tierney during a pre season game? 

Perhaps they were practicing their composure for the regular season? 

It's baffling to me. 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

No I didn't miss the point.  He was saying this had something to do with the loss and I disagreed.    He didn't lose the fight, he did fine - neither was hurt everyone's ok.   Why make that a "turning point" in the game when it wasn't.    McEwen did everything he could do to stay relevant - nobody else can even do what he can do - the fact that other guys took two stupid lazy penalties .... was that his fault too? Or maybe Domingues for letting the goals in was his fault too.  Sorry I'm not buying it.  

Gotta disagree with you here.  It was his fault for letting in one of the goals.  He shoulda stopped Werenski's shot that went through the 5 hole.  It was a clear shot from the point.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

Too bad we have Benning. A good Gm would have another Vezina MVP goalie incase of injury. Also a good Gm would have a few more Calder trophy D'men in the minors incase of injury. A good Gm would never have traded a mid round first for a player that will lead the team in goal scoring and points all year. Why would you trade a potential second line centre for a guy that can't even play goal. Sure he's our leading scorer and one of the league's top face off men but we need a goalie and he can't even do that. A good GM never would sign a 6'8 Dman, he'd draft a Russian one and then make him live in Point Roberts where he won't smell any weed. It's the Gm's fault that injury's happen, if he had them on a vegan diet and hired a sleep coach like MG, these injury's wouldn't happen at all. He didn't want to draft Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes or Gaudette that was the scouts. He did however want to draft all the players that didn't make the team.

You don't know that its going to be a mid-first rounder. If the pick transfers to next year because the Canucks miss the playoffs this year its not lottery protected. Worse case scenario is they barely miss this season and then have a rash of injuries to top players next year and it ends up being a top 10 or higher. And if there's one thing the Canucks have excelled in over the last 50 years its worse case scenarios.

16 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

Tanev and goldobin s contracts are up this year. Roussel, sutter, beagle, eriksson are the ones need to go. Good luck finding trades for them. 

I just think benning has played all his cards for this year and done more than enuf for this team to miss playoffs

All but Eriksson are worth picks, Beagle and Sutter are both valuable assets to contenders (us).

Roussel's been neutered by the zebras and/or Coach Mahhatrick Gandhi, but he still might be worth a late pick.

The Canucks are way late to the anchor contract scenario in the cap era. The teams who use them to fill up to basement are long since full, and unless he retires, its gonna cost this team to move him. Likely retained cap + a high pick or prospect. Loui's upside is that he is still capable of turning it on, when he wants to, and if anything, he's durable.

36 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

Too bad we have Benning. A good Gm would have another Vezina MVP goalie incase of injury. Also a good Gm would have a few more Calder trophy D'men in the minors incase of injury. A good Gm would never have traded a mid round first for a player that will lead the team in goal scoring and points all year. Why would you trade a potential second line centre for a guy that can't even play goal. Sure he's our leading scorer and one of the league's top face off men but we need a goalie and he can't even do that. A good GM never would sign a 6'8 Dman, he'd draft a Russian one and then make him live in Point Roberts where he won't smell any weed. It's the Gm's fault that injury's happen, if he had them on a vegan diet and hired a sleep coach like MG, these injury's wouldn't happen at all. He didn't want to draft Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes or Gaudette that was the scouts. He did however want to draft all the players that didn't make the team.

BCEFEE5A-27D8-4492-8BE0-A8909CE73B83.gif

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, PCBABY said:

The best way to deal with a bully is to ignore them.

Not really. Back in the third grade, we had a pretty nasty bully that picked on all of the kids in my grade except me (I was the biggest kid in our grade). I mostly ignored him but, one day, he came up behind me and punched me in the back. I turned around and tackled him, punching him in the face several times.

He never bullied any of my friends again.

Bullies are bullies because no one stands up to them. Every time you give an inch, they take a mile. Flip the tables on them and it's amazing how fast they back off.

The Canucks need to take the same mentality. Stand up for yourself and earn some respect or the league will continue to play rough with our best players. And you don't need size to play tough: just heart and some bite.

Edited by nowhereman
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

I ask myself that same question.

Gudbranson, while not the best defenseman on the planet, is a tough player, who'll just about take on anyone. He was a menace in Florida. Once he came to Vancouver, he was half as effective in that role. Not sure why that happened. Don't get me wrong, when he was on and engaged (and paired with Edler), his presence on the ice would affect not only how teams entered the Canucks zone, but what they would do around Markstrom.

Schenn, who isn't as imposing a fighter as Gudbranson, came onto the team, and immediately embraced the role of protector for Hughes and Pettersson.

What gives?

Horvat has stepped up his physicality recently, with the fight against Coyle being a turning point. I still think that Bo can do more being the captain of the team, especially from a symbolic standpoint, but I think he's heading in the right direction.

Does Green look at the roster and see that the composition of players isn't capable of a pack mentality type of game? There seem to be games where the team is as feisty as hell, and others where they look like their collective balls haven't dropped.

Benning should make finding at least one forward and one defenseman of considerable size (height and weight) who aren't only capable of using the size, but willing to, a top priority this off-season. As the team improves and adds more skill players, they'll need a compliment of strength to balance out and protect the youth.