The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks vs Coyotes - Wednesday March 4th 2020 at 7:30 PST - "Please don't lose again" Edition

Rate this topic

Salter

1 minute ago, lmm said:

Guber was always mis-cast from the day he arrived in Vancouver. He was sheltereds in FLA, playing with the likes of Willie Mitchel and Brian Campbell.

He should have played with Edler from day 1, but he was used as the steady hand to anchor Benny Hutton on the 2nd pair.

I seem to recall Gube thought he was going to score more and Jim +co thought he was the stabilizer on the 2nd pair.

Turned out he was neither, but he did play the tough guy pretty good.

now Benny and Guber are playing pretty well, albeit in diminished roles in the same city on different teams, still on bad teams.

As for the forward, MacEwen could be that guy, but the rest of the team seems to go into a coma when ever a Cancuks gets into a fight

Another painful miscue by Nolan Baumgartner. Gudbranson was a solid defenseman when he played with Edler. Pairing him with Ben Hutton was a bad idea, and slotting him in with Pouliot was disastrous.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, kilgore said:

I think you are both right in a way.

"ZM fought when he didn't need to" √

"Why make that a "turning point" in the game when it wasn't."  √

Staged fighting is a ridiculous unnecessary sideshow.  Maybe when a game is 6 - 1 and the losing team wants to send a message for the next game. But in a close game it does nothing or it does the same for both teams. And at the same time it risks injury for nothing (Ferland).   I'd rather have less staged fighting, and more actual in-game reaction fighting to a dirty hit, supporting team mates.

But no, the fight wasn't a turning point either.  It was a nothing burger, like all staged fights.  It was the two dumb penalties by our "foundational" pieces that killed that game for us.

Although I missed the Sutter penalty, Rooster's was due to the other player skating harder than him, so he took a dumb tripping penalty. I, for one, won't blame the entire loss on Zm, but CBJ did get momentum from the fight that resulted with them skating more and fighting harder, which does tend to draw penalties, so I think there's a valid argument that it was a turning point. 

• Wat 2

2 hours ago, xereau said:

All but Eriksson are worth picks, Beagle and Sutter are both valuable assets to contenders (us).

Roussel's been neutered by the zebras and/or Coach Mahhatrick Gandhi, but he still might be worth a late pick.

The Canucks are way late to the anchor contract scenario in the cap era. The teams who use them to fill up to basement are long since full, and unless he retires, its gonna cost this team to move him. Likely retained cap + a high pick or prospect. Loui's upside is that he is still capable of turning it on, when he wants to, and if anything, he's durable.

His being durable is directly related to his skill at avoiding bodily contact. Not sure that would be a big selling point.

2 hours ago, Viper007 said:

Gotta disagree with you here.  It was his fault for letting in one of the goals.  He shoulda stopped Werenski's shot that went through the 5 hole.  It was a clear shot from the point.

Soooo...it was McEwens fault for this?  Not sure you understood my post.

57 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

There are several tricks to "winning" the physical side of the game.

One we almost never seem to employ is to beat the other guy to the punch. 

In this case, when done properly, the other guy takes a retaliation penalty because the officials haven't seen that nasty butt end (that Petey should use all the time) for example.

We always come late to the dance, take the worst of the penalties, and are too late to avoid abuse to our smaller/lighter teammates who are already hurt.

It is part of 'the code' to strike first; the code isn't for nice guys, it is for tough guys, e.g. Proust's sack attack on the Rat. 

Nobody saw it (except us fans), a high talent Bruin got nutted, and the game went on.

A big part of the code is, "Did you win?" 

The means and methods are discussed after The Cup is raised.

And we don't want Petey taking some turd's scalp off like the old Broadway Bullies; we don't want him penalized or suspended.

So, be cute, don't get caught, and get the other f#$#^$er first.

And don't ignore the oncoming consequences; prep for them and learn how to win them.

Gretzky used to skate as fast as he could and leap over the boards so Semenko could get on the ice and into the brawl.

Another, which we talk about a lot here is not to beat up the brute who injured our star,  but take out a couple of their top guys.

There are a lot of things you can do to really slow a player down where you only get two minutes or nothing at all.

Patty Cabby-Beater Kane is a tremendous hockey player when he is left to his own play; he shuts it down when you run him.

Look at how many times we are cheap-shotted and there is no call whatsover; that should be us on that end of the stick.

Daniel should have finished Keith off in the corner and he wouldn't even been on the ice to concuss Daniel later.

I never want to see a Canuck (like Henrik) take so many shots to the kidneys, lower back, small ribs, that he could no longer play properly.

All with no calls, no retaliation, no mercy, and with our stupid media cheering Boston on for it, plus breaking Raymond's back and calling it a dive etc.

We cannot count on the refs, or the league, or even the Players' Association for any kind of help with this problem.

(So don't be staring at the ref for the call Petey; it ain't comin'.)

The solution to the problem is to be The Problem.

As far as keeping injuries down during preseason and the regular season goes, these types of techniques actually makes for a healthier roster.

And practising it all year makes it even more effective in the playoffs, when injuries to the other team start to wear them down and make them more beatable as the series goes on.

And it doesn't work if it is just one tough guy; several tougher guys must be looking for this type of opportunity at all times.

Then the other teams know they have to keep their heads up and hurry their passes etc.

I don't know who said it first or where or when but we need to Get Tough or Die.

We will never win The Cup trying to be the nicest guys in the world.

Go Canucks Go!

i agree 100%

but the answer from many  fans is "Its an 82 game schedule and you can't play that way for 82 games.

But that is why, as you said, you need more than 1 or 2 guys.

and there are a lot of  small time toughs in the NHL who will take advantage of the Canucks because they know how we play, but if they knew we would bring it they would want no part. Mike Matheson comes to mind. We would still have to deal with the Matt Martins of the world, (and it would be awesome) but not the Mike Mathesons.

33 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Although I missed the Sutter penalty, Rooster's was due to the other player skating harder than him, so he took a dumb tripping penalty. I, for one, won't blame the entire loss on Zm, but CBJ did get momentum from the fight that resulted with them skating more and fighting harder, which does tend to draw penalties, so I think there's a valid argument that it was a turning point. 

I agree it was a turning point, but how is Zack supposed know that his team turns to mush after a fight?

This has been going on since the Naslund era, there was some talk a few years back about changing the culture, but that has died down without an actual change.

This is a team that seems to think it can One Punch its way through rough stuff.

Do they actually think 'well we answered the bell, now we can get back to a nice game'? It sure looks like it from where i sit.

It has seemed for a long time that the Canucks would prefer the staged goon fight era, so 2 guys can saw off and the rest of the team goes about their business.

I almost agree. I don't think it's a good strategy to dirty target the other team, unless the other team takes liberties--then you go ape sh1t with no mercy. Creating a don't f with us reputation. But the key is to be able to answer the call with greater fervor, resulting in a deterrent. That way you can get through the 82 schedule healthier.

7 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Hope the Canucks win obviously.

having said that, I’m about to make a cowardice comment and so I understand if posters on here will be upset with me.

The loss to Columbus broke me.   I would man up if I was a player, but the fan in me is broken.   As a result, I won’t watch tonight’s game.   I’ll need to see the Canucks win a few games before I hope back on the bandwagon.  I just can’t stomach the idea of them possibly pissing away the season due to Markstrom’s injury.

Go Canucks.   And I also praise you guys for having thicker skin than I do.

Come on bud, put the game on and see what happens.  

We actually outplayed Columbus last game for two periods.  

4 hours ago, kilgore said:

I think you are both right in a way.

"ZM fought when he didn't need to" √

"Why make that a "turning point" in the game when it wasn't."  √

Staged fighting is a ridiculous unnecessary sideshow.  Maybe when a game is 6 - 1 and the losing team wants to send a message for the next game. But in a close game it does nothing or it does the same for both teams. And at the same time it risks injury for nothing (Ferland).   I'd rather have less staged fighting, and more actual in-game reaction fighting to a dirty hit, supporting team mates.

But no, the fight wasn't a turning point either.  It was a nothing burger, like all staged fights.  It was the two dumb penalties by our "foundational" pieces that killed that game for us.

It was Horvat's line leaving the CBJ player wide open to make it 3-2, that's what started it.   CBJ had nothing going in the 3rd until then.  It was a team effort in the loss, lot's of blame to go around.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Stop using every piece of news on him to continue your narrative.

We get that you don’t like the pick but continuing to dwell on it does no good. 

He may not play in the NHL but this latest news isn’t the reason for it.

No kidding. What good does that do?

Imagine if that was the kind of thing that consumed your life..... that sounds like a very, VERY sad and unfulfilling life. :unsure: 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Hope the Canucks win obviously.

having said that, I’m about to make a cowardice comment and so I understand if posters on here will be upset with me.

The loss to Columbus broke me.   I would man up if I was a player, but the fan in me is broken.   As a result, I won’t watch tonight’s game.   I’ll need to see the Canucks win a few games before I hope back on the bandwagon.  I just can’t stomach the idea of them possibly pissing away the season due to Markstrom’s injury.

Go Canucks.   And I also praise you guys for having thicker skin than I do.

There is no BANDWAGON to true fans!!! 

• Upvote 1