The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks vs Coyotes - Wednesday March 4th 2020 at 7:30 PST - "Please don't lose again" Edition

Rate this topic

Salter

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

happens to every GM. 

Its also too early to scream "bust" on OJ btw. When he has played he's been great. If the kid can get his body into shape he's going to be a keeper. 

Over 0.5 PPG as a 21 year old.

Cant remember the last time we had a D prospect do that.

Forgot about Jordan Subban, but we all know why he was never gonna make the jump.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

happens to every GM. 

Its also too early to scream "bust" on OJ btw. When he has played he's been great. If the kid can get his body into shape he's going to be a keeper. 

I like OJ, and also believe he’s a legit top four.  The trouble is many of us here wanted to pick Tkapuke, and we’re both shocked and pissed when we didn’t.  OJ will always be tied to that feeling we had at the moment of his selection. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Over 0.5 PPG as a 21 year old.

Cant remember the last time we had a D prospect do that.

Forgot about Jordan Subban, but we all know why he was never gonna make the jump.

OJ is 6’3 and 200 plus pounds.  He plays a lot like Edler, but skates better and has superior puck skills and vision.  Just not liking the series of injuries.  

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OJ is 6’3 and 200 plus pounds.  He plays a lot like Edler, but skates better and has superior puck skills and vision.  Just not liking the series of injuries.  

Shouldn't have let him read Salo's book,

101 Ways to Break Yourself. Sending him to Finland to get that signed copy was clearly a mistake.

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And I remember just as many praying that Puljujarvi would fall to us at 5. How’d that work for the Oilers.

At least Juolevi still has aspirations of playing for us.

All these new ailments are likely related to the original surgery. That comes with the territory when you’re out that long.

I just hope that he’s healthy for a full summer of training so he can finally get his body right and we can see what Benning saw in him taking him that high.

You're right, by everything I've seen on the Utica games is that he has not been the same player he was last year up to the time he he sustained the injury.

If they cannot put him into games when he is "really" 100 percent than he should be shelved for the remainder of the season, get on a good regimented recovery  program and heal over the next 6 months and really be ready for next year.

His offensive game is excellent when he's healthy. Top player 2 years ago for Finland at the end of the season and one of the top producing D in the AHL before his injury. all at 19 and 20 YO. He passes are quick, one the tape and he see's the play unfold before most players. Very smart. His downfall is his D game which i think is a combination of health and youth. He cannot spin and start quickly to get back into plays plus can still get schooled by faster players. His shot blocking is very good though.

I know its all been regurgitated before but 1 more year with lots of rest to truly see what we have I think is the right move here.

Should we have picked another player at 5 in hind sight? Obviously yes, but considering the winners Benning has picked more than makes up for Juolevi at #5

• Thanks 1

Dear fellow Canucks fans,

Let's try seeing the team winning tonight and for the rest of the season. No complaints, no being down on any players, just let Greener coach and let the boys play. The only energy we should be emitting is positive towards the team. Take all doubt out of your minds for, WE... the fans can put this team over the top.

Lets face it, if you don't like a player, the trade deadline has passed. So can we put that dislike away until the off season? This is the hand we have been dealt with... the hand is filled with an abundance of talent.

Never in the history of this team, have we had two elite players, producing at the clip Quinn and Petey are for 20 and 21 year olds... not to mention they play the two most important positions in the game, Center & DMan. The Sedins, as elite as they were, didn't start lighting it up until way later in their careers.

(In all fairness to Herink & Daniel... had they debut their careers in the 2020 NHL, they probably would have had very incredible stars too. The game was not friendly to the smaller players when the Sedins came in. It's really changed)

8 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

So eyes goes to buys beersh for tonight....

Miller...feels like a good buy for tonight's contest.

Wouldn't you know....they didn't last to puck drop.

Whiskey keeps the beer supply longer. Try a one to one ratio. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Disgruntler said:

I'm thinking a loss tonight seals the deal.

Based on?

Thats basically saying that any loss from now till the end of the season means we won’t make it...

2 Points will be valuable every night. Saying it’s a “must win” doesn’t mean a whole lot right now.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Timbermen said:

Too bad we have Benning. A good Gm would have another Vezina MVP goalie incase of injury. Also a good Gm would have a few more Calder trophy D'men in the minors incase of injury. A good Gm would never have traded a mid round first for a player that will lead the team in goal scoring and points all year. Why would you trade a potential second line centre for a guy that can't even play goal. Sure he's our leading scorer and one of the league's top face off men but we need a goalie and he can't even do that. A good GM never would sign a 6'8 Dman, he'd draft a Russian one and then make him live in Point Roberts where he won't smell any weed. It's the Gm's fault that injury's happen, if he had them on a vegan diet and hired a sleep coach like MG, these injury's wouldn't happen at all. He didn't want to draft Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes or Gaudette that was the scouts. He did however want to draft all the players that didn't make the team.

I lost it at vegan diet.  :lol:

@luckylager who's gonna eat all this food?!

Damn that Jim Benning!!!

33 pages and the game hasn't even started yet, has to be a record.  I was just as mad as everyone after that last loss to Columbus but this season has been the biggest roller coaster I can remember.  Lots of highs and lows.  Win streaks, losing streaks, healthy team, then lots of injuries.  Moments where we thought this group didn't have it and moments where they look like the best team in the league.   

This on the back of a goalie everyone gave up on, "overpaid" vets, a boat anchor in Louie (x2) and a 3rd consecutive Calder candidate and potential back to back winners.  I'll continue to choose to be optimistic, the season isn't over yet and I have a feeling (nervous hoping) that this group has more to give.  Let's support our boys, we know they haven't given up on this season yet.  

GCG!!! :towel:

• Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

So eyes goes to buys beersh for tonight....

Miller...feels like a good buy for tonight's contest.

Wouldn't you know....they didn't last to puck drop.

So go again, problem solved.

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bourdon before his tragic passing is a pretty good comparable.  People were moaning we didn't take Kopitar, but Bourdon was starting to show signs of why we took him in the months before we lost him.  Similar playing style and development path.