The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How dirty is Chara/how bad is player safety?

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

That hit he did on Pacioretty should have been 10 games. He clearly directs his head into the post. Was clearly deliberate.

Its Boston though, the league doesn't suspend players from Boston for the most part, just slap on the wrist unless they have no other choice.

I think Boston's owner is one of the few owners in charge of hiring and firing of people at the NHL head office. It makes sense.

• Cheers 1

He's a dirty piece of .... that is only overlooked by fans sometimes because one of the few that's worse than him is also on his team. He's gotten away with far too much. I actually assumed he'd been at least suspended a few times, but to my amazement, it seems as though he's actually never been suspended, only fined.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

He's a dirty piece of .... that is only overlooked by fans sometimes because one of the few that's worse than him is also on his team. He's gotten away with far too much. I actually assumed he'd been at least suspended a few times, but to my amazement, it seems as though he's actually never been suspended, only fined.

Helps when the Chair of the Board of Governors is the owner of your team. 

• Vintage 2

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

That’s what shocked me too!
I kept looking because I could think of a hand full of suspension worthy plays but could only find his fines. I assumed I just couldn’t find an old history or things got archived or something but I couldn’t wrap my head around it never happening.  

I can understand putting some emphasis on prior history but if you walk that line constantly and never get any discipline you never move off that line.  

I know Kane has chirped the league about this issue and I don’t think he’s wrong at all. I don’t even think he necessarily argues that he should be let off free but the gap between what some guys are suspended for is WAY too inconsistent. 

I know Garrett can be a homer but listen to the commentators on this one. Missing dirty Chara plays and worse saying “staying within the rules” “Makes a play on the puck”  

I feel like that’s how the league watches Bruin games.

15 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Chara has always been a POS on the ice. He may be a nice guy off of it, but his play at times is gutless. 

Guarantee if it wasn't for his size he wouldn't pull 90% of what he does. He also took the cowards way out against many established fighters. It's hilarious that people praise him as one of the toughest. 

Tell that to the Shelley's or Laraque's of the world. 

I still enjoy watching that video of Chris Neil dropping him to the ice. Neil and Carkner were great enforcers. Chara is a turd, no doubt.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

He's so dirty he could pass off as an east hastings hooker

Zdeno Chara is so dirty

How dirty is he?

Zedno Chara is so dirty, yo check this out, Zdeno Chara is so dirty he needs the man advantage just to take a bath.  He so dirty that Brad Marchand and the rest of the rats got together to serve him an eviction notice.  Yo, yo, yo he so dirty he made Right Guard turn left.  Zdeno Chara is sooooo dirty homeless people offer him soap.  Yo Chara is so dirty when he jumped in the ocean BP got accused of another oil spill.  

Image result for chris rock

Edited by Tre Mac
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I still enjoy watching that video of Chris Neil dropping him to the ice. Neil and Carkner were great enforcers. Chara is a turd, no doubt.

Carkner was SCARY. He really was out to hurt people in fights. Extremely underrated fighter. Neil was tough too, but more of a bigger middle weight and not as imposing. He had heart though. 

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Carkner was SCARY. He really was out to hurt people in fights. Extremely underrated fighter. Neil was tough too, but more of a bigger middle weight and not as imposing. He had heart though. 

Carkner's beat down on Boyle during the 2011-2012 playoff series against the Rangers was the very meaning of retribution.

Neil was strong enough to take Chara down.

Edited by PhillipBlunt

Chara is a guy that can't take any of his own medicine. He's the first guy to rush over and give everyone else shots and take advantage of his size to bully anyone he wants, but the odd time someone gets the better of him he throws a fit.

• Cheers 2

I play hockey once a week. “Competitive” beer league. None of us get paid. As Ovechkin put it not too long ago, “It’s not ballet.”

Chara’s game isn’t someone that dangles in and out, on his way sniping 45 goals a year. He’s a defenseman, who’s job it is to intimidate, punish and stop the opposition. Baffles my mind how people can’t separate team from player. Every team has these players, numerous of them, because that’s the game. If it’s difficult to understand, than probably billiards would be a better thing to watch.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, khay said:

One of the dirties and cheapest players of all time for me. He is a player that lets the emotion get the best of him more often than he should and uses that as an excuse/justify his inexcusable actions.

Remember when he fought against Neil and Neil just took it to him? How Chara puts up his hand up cowardly and asks Neil to stop? Well, when he was on top, he never stopped punching the other smaller guys.

For example at 0:20 of this video:

Chara hits Neil about 4 times in that fight. I don't know if Neil's one punch even lands as Chara spins down to the ice.

Neil not punching a man when he is down is the code. It happens now and again but only by douches or the few that have lost their mind in a moment of rage. Do you have a clip of Chara punching smaller dudes while they are on the ice? I can't remember seeing that. 

That said, Chara is dirty AF. I remember on the Patches neck breaking hit, Chara said he didn't know where they were on the ice when he threw such a disgusting dangerous check....yeah, BS big Z.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Chara hits Neil about 4 times in that fight. I don't know if Neil's one punch even lands as Chara spins down to the ice.

Neil not punching a man when he is down is the code. It happens now and again but only by douches or the few that have lost their mind in a moment of rage. Do you have a clip of Chara punching smaller dudes while they are on the ice? I can't remember seeing that. 

That said, Chara is dirty AF. I remember on the Patches neck breaking hit, Chara said he didn't know where they were on the ice when he threw such a disgusting dangerous check....yeah, BS big Z.

Dude, watch the video "Chara a dirty player" posted by OP.

It's full of clips where Chara (playing in Europe at the time?) hitting smaller guys when they are down.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, khay said:

It's full of clips where Chara (playing in Europe at the time?) hitting smaller guys when they are down.

I would love for us to have a team full of dirty players.  Let’s do like Chara and initiate the violence.  

6 minutes ago, khay said:

Never watched him in Europe. I recalled the Patches hit by memory and only watched your clip where Neil doesn't do much.

Will watch now, thanks dude.

Edit: ok watched it. Not full of Chara hitting guys when they are down ( btw everyone is smaller than him) he throws a couple questionable shots but not as i expected from your description. What is funny is the first clip is 3 Sabres gang tackling and jumping on top of him. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

I would love for us to have a team full of dirty players.  Let’s do like Chara and initiate the violence.  

If Chara is on Vancouver, he will ben banned for the season.

Imagine Boston had our team, Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, and Luongo. We had Boston's team, Chara, Thomas, Lucic, etc. 

I bet that we get swept in 4 games. Kesler, Burrows, and company will crash the net like crazy and will get away with everything because the refs aren't going to call anything against Boston. Cross checks to Sedins will get penalized promptly, allowing the league's best PP to score over and over again, nullifying one advantage that Chara led Vancouver has over Sedins' Boston, which is physical play. When McQuaid drives Raymond to the board and breaks his back, McQuaid will be given 5 minutes and suspension for dangerous play resulting in potentially career ending injury. When that POS Rome hits Horton, Rome will not get 5 minutes nor any suspension.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Never watched him in Europe. I recalled the Patches hit by memory and only watched your clip where Neil doesn't do much.

Will watch now, thanks dude.

Go to 2:10 of the video to see him violating the code in the NHL.

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Chara is dirty. 

He is also very tough. He has fought a lot of tough dudes and fairs very well.

His size, toughness, dirtiness and talent is why he is one of, if not thee best big defence man of our time. 

Still I don't like him and would not wnat him as a Nuck....well, maybe<_<

• Huggy Bear 1