The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How dirty is Chara/how bad is player safety?

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, YesWeCanNux said:

That’s what shocked me too!
I kept looking because I could think of a hand full of suspension worthy plays but could only find his fines. I assumed I just couldn’t find an old history or things got archived or something but I couldn’t wrap my head around it never happening.  

I can understand putting some emphasis on prior history but if you walk that line constantly and never get any discipline you never move off that line.  

I know Kane has chirped the league about this issue and I don’t think he’s wrong at all. I don’t even think he necessarily argues that he should be let off free but the gap between what some guys are suspended for is WAY too inconsistent. 

I know Garrett can be a homer but listen to the commentators on this one. Missing dirty Chara plays and worse saying “staying within the rules” “Makes a play on the puck”  

I feel like that’s how the league watches Bruin games.

Not a fan of Kane but that was a headshot and he had the right to be mad.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Never watched him in Europe. I recalled the Patches hit by memory and only watched your clip where Neil doesn't do much.

Will watch now, thanks dude.

Edit: ok watched it. Not full of Chara hitting guys when they are down ( btw everyone is smaller than him) he throws a couple questionable shots but not as i expected from your description. What is funny is the first clip is 3 Sabres gang tackling and jumping on top of him. 

Expected every clip of Chara hitting guys when they are down?

Everyone is smaller than him so the point being...?

1202668147_slide.jpg

1202667271_slide.jpg

Dirty team because they can basically do what they want.  Have connections.

But his size makes him incredibly dangerous when he does lose it or clip someone in the neck.  He's responsible in that...it isn't "an excuse".  I often wonder if it's roid rage or just sheer caveman?

• Cheers 1

I just watched some fight clips of one of my favourite scrappers Kevin Bieksa. I mean, who pulls of a superman punch on the ice? sick ( even though it hurt his hand)

Anyway, he also would feed guys on the ground but sometimes they were in a scramble trying to get back to their feet. Still I don't think it is right especially when they are on their back or in a vulnerable position.

I remember the Boogyman mock-pretending to smash a downed guys head in the ice because he knew he should stop punching...scary ( can't find the clip)

Speaking of big, mean, dirty and awesome....

Rest in peace Derek.

38 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

1202668147_slide.jpg

1202667271_slide.jpg

Dirty team because they can basically do what they want.  Have connections.

But his size makes him incredibly dangerous when he does lose it or clip someone in the neck.  He's responsible in that...it isn't "an excuse".  I often wonder if it's roid rage or just sheer caveman?

What is with Boston players putting their fingers in other players mouths? These guys are just human scum.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What is with Boston players putting their fingers in other players mouths? These guys are just human scum.

Heh, I thought the exact same thing when I first saw this picture.

What with licking people, fingers in mouths...the Boston "Chewins"?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Heh, I thought the exact same thing when I first saw this picture.

What with licking people, fingers in mouths...the Boston "Chewins"?

Chara is a turd, and he's set the tone for that scumbag team for the last decade. I know a few fans of other teams and they all hate the Bruins. They see that the team seemingly gets away with infractions that their team doesn't.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

It's pointless to point out that he hits smaller guys when he is the tallest player. 

lol fine then.

I thought you were saying everyone is smaller so it is somehow OK to hit them when they are down?

oh, you said it was full of them.

expected to see a lot

I saw about 3 to 4. There aren't that many 1-on-1 fights and in about 3 to 4, he continues to swing well after the refs intervene or the guy is clearly down or unwilling to continue.

• Vintage 1

Yeah, that shot is gross. Did Ivanans try to hit Chara as he went down, just before Chara did the same? kinda looks like it as they fall.

Sorry, I guess I should have pointed out 2:16? I meant to start watching around 2:10. The other guy is down and ref has intervened, and Chara lands a shot.

I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion in Boston-hating Canuckland, but I don't think Chara is a dirty player at all.

The hit on patches has been debated many times over the years, yet no matter how many times people are told that the same thing has happened to other players several times, they insist that they know what Chara was thinking there.

I've got over 1000 games under my belt and I can tell you that players are not always aware of where they are on the ice. That's why you occasionally see players run into the net, or the boards.

That being said, far be it from me to keep people from enjoying a Boston-bashing party. Carry on....

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I can tell you that players are not always aware of where they are on the ice.

I believe you. I just didn't believe it when Chara claimed that on the Patches hit but I suppose that is just my opinion.

Chara is dirty, but a lot of hockey is 'dirty'. I think when you are 7ft on skates and very tough, the appearance of dirtiness is magnified as it can have a more devastating impact.

I referenced Juice in a post in this thread. I remember him talking about the brawls with the Hawks. He mentioned some of the things that go on in those scrums, fish hooking, hair pulling etc.. but those are things that are supposed to stay between the boards. Harder to do these days with all the cameras.

I was hooker in rugby for a while...talk about dirty stuff going on in scrums.

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If Chara can get away with head shots because he's tall, other guys should be able to punch him in the nuts since it would be on the shoulder for other guys. 

Tough when he plays like he has none.

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Subhuman.  Stop humanizing these classless dirtbags.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Wat 1

Chara plays the game  the right way....

Hard and makes no excuses.

Can't wait till we get our Chara back from the KHL.  Hopefully Tree can play exactly the way Chara plays...  Plays it tough and takes no prisoners.....

Hockey is not a game for the weak......

Edited by kingofsurrey