The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How dirty is Chara/how bad is player safety?

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Chara plays the game  the right way....

Hard and makes no excuses.

Can't wait till we get our Chara back from the KHL.  Hopefully Tree can play exactly the way Chara plays...  Plays it tough and takes no prisoners.....

Hockey is not a game for the weak......

This is correct!  We don't want the Ice Capades.

On 3/2/2020 at 6:26 PM, RRypien37 said:

Yeah. Young Russian. To be fair it was a lucky hay maker that connected out of the clinch right on the button. That's dropping most guys who aren't professional fighters. 

I disagree.

guy has his chin tucked he created distance which you would think would be an advantage for chara but as we see he times chara over the top.  and to be perfectly honest I wouldn’t consider that a haymaker in the context of hockey.  

Was pretty straight after he had to come over the arm of chara and there wasn’t much of a wind up - he pretty much shot from the hip which is part of the makeup of an effective punch.  

then there was meathead chara fighting with ego - his whole head and chin waiting to be broken.

i also didn’t see what I would consider a clinch.

would this happen 9/10 times? Probably not. but from start to finish if you consider from the hit onward it appeared this kid knows how to fight and chara was not aware of that.

8 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

1202668147_slide.jpg

1202667271_slide.jpg

Dirty team because they can basically do what they want.  Have connections.

But his size makes him incredibly dangerous when he does lose it or clip someone in the neck.  He's responsible in that...it isn't "an excuse".  I often wonder if it's roid rage or just sheer caveman?

He’s a caveman from Lithuania which makes that like caveman times infinity

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Carkner's beat down on Boyle during the 2011-2012 playoff series against the Rangers was the very meaning of retribution.

Neil was strong enough to take Chara down.

This one was a tough one for me to watch. Size matters if the size really knows how to fight...

Edited by RRypien37

16 hours ago, YesWeCanNux said:

That’s what shocked me too!
I kept looking because I could think of a hand full of suspension worthy plays but could only find his fines. I assumed I just couldn’t find an old history or things got archived or something but I couldn’t wrap my head around it never happening.  

I can understand putting some emphasis on prior history but if you walk that line constantly and never get any discipline you never move off that line.  

I know Kane has chirped the league about this issue and I don’t think he’s wrong at all. I don’t even think he necessarily argues that he should be let off free but the gap between what some guys are suspended for is WAY too inconsistent. 

I know Garrett can be a homer but listen to the commentators on this one. Missing dirty Chara plays and worse saying “staying within the rules” “Makes a play on the puck”  

I feel like that’s how the league watches Bruin games.

Bruins commentator Jake Edwards is the biggest tool in Sports broadcasting.

• Cheers 2

Be careful with threads like this.  There is a certain poster in here that might get all up in his feels when talking negatively about Boston.  :lol:

In all seriousness, the guy is a dirt bag.  Always has been. 

Speaking of dirt bags, did any of you catch that skate to the face on a former Bruin last night?  The one that injured Mason Raymond with a dirty play in the 2011 SCF?   Ouch.

Edited by Bocivus
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Toughest pound for pound fighter in NHL history. 

And Rypien could play too.  He was like players used to be in the 50’s and 60’s:  160 to 180 pounds, who could play the game, and were friggin tough too.  Rypien would be worth a really big money contract in today’s game.  

• Cheers 1

On 3/3/2020 at 4:18 PM, Monty said:

I play hockey once a week. “Competitive” beer league. None of us get paid. As Ovechkin put it not too long ago, “It’s not ballet.”

Chara’s game isn’t someone that dangles in and out, on his way sniping 45 goals a year. He’s a defenseman, who’s job it is to intimidate, punish and stop the opposition. Baffles my mind how people can’t separate team from player. Every team has these players, numerous of them, because that’s the game. If it’s difficult to understand, than probably billiards would be a better thing to watch.

I don’t blame Chara and he’s been a great defenseman for a LONG time. Pronger was one of the best defensemen of all time and also a very dirty player. I would have loved to have him on the canucks but I also get why people might not like him. These aren’t mutually exclusive thoughts. 

My beef is more with the league’s handling of the situation when Chara does cross the line. 

I think they might have been soft on Pronger too for some of the sh*t he pulled but look at his rap sheet compared to Chara’s $5000 fine. 

Oct. 29, 1995: with St. Louis — four games, slashing (Washington's Pat Peake)
Dec. 17, 1998: with St. Louis — four games, high stick (Phoenix's Jeremy Roenick)
Oct. 11, 2000: with St. Louis — one game, leaving bench for altercation (Los Angeles' Kelly Buchberger)
April 3, 2002: with St. Louis — two games, cross-check (Dallas' Brenden Morrow)
March 14, 2004: with St. Louis — one game, kicking (Calgary's Ville Nieminen)
May 15, 2007: with Anaheim — one playoff game, blow to the head (Detroit's Tomas Holmstrom)
June 3, 2007: with Anaheim — one playoff game, blow to the head (Ottawa's Dean McAmmond)
March 12, 2008: with Anaheim — eight games, stomping on the leg (Vancouver's Ryan Kesler)