The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Two draft-day trades

Trade #1

To Capitals: Brandon Sutter

To Canucks: (Conditional) 2022 4th round pick. Pick is conditioned upon Sutter playing at least 65 games with the Capitals in 2020-2021. Sutters injuries the past few years are what makes this the condition. If Sutter does not play at least 65 games than the pick to the Canucks becomes a 2022 7th round pick.

Trade #2

To Red Wings: Thatcher Demko

To Canucks: 2020 2nd round pick                                   (32nd overall)

and

2020 4th round pick 

(Originally Oilers pick)

In the Sutter trade it makes sense for the Capitals because Sutter fits into their system and adds alot of experience to a team in win-now mode. They could use a proper 4th line center and/or right wing depth. Sutter is very familiar with the Capitals from playing against them for so long with the Hurricanes and Penguins. The Canucks gain back a needed draft pick and don't lose out if it becomes a 7th. Sutter is one of the odd men out for team reasons and cap reasons. And he will likely be used as one of the players to garner picks back like Benning spoke about. It's a win wether it becomes a 4th or 7th. As for the Demko trade this is one that many might and if it happened would say is not enough in return. But it's more than enough. Markstrom and Domingue is a solid tandem and should be our guys moving forward. There is also alot of potential in DiPietro, Kielly, Silovs, and Thiessen waiting in the wings. Demko needs a new chance and different team and Detroit is the perfect spot. Howard is a pending UFA and aging badly and Bernier is no answer. And this is realistically what his value is at this point. He's not 2013 Cory Schneider and may never be that good. We basically get a low 1st and a 4th for a redundant piece. As Detroit will.be picking at the very top of Round 2 for sure. This trade would basically give us a 1st round pick back and a second 4th round pick.

• Like 2

I was thinking Demko to Sens or Det

If going to Det I know a 2nd rd pick would be nice, but I would like to get Micheal Rasmussen even it we have to add something. At 6'6 and born in Surrey would be a nice addition. Also if we can bring back Tryamkin next year talk about size Myers 6'8 , Tryamkin 6'7 and if we get Rasmussen 6'6.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

The Capitals dont have the cap space. They don’t have any forward pending UFA’s. They can’t afford an offer paid 4th line C. It makes zero sense for them 

They have Brendon Dillon ($1,635,000) as a pending UFA. He is a rental and with what he brings will demand a big raise that Washington won't want to give him. He will go to the free agent market. As well as Radko Gudas         ($ 2,345,000) as a pending UFA. And they definitely are not gonna want to give $4 to $5 million to him. Kovalchuk is also a rental who is likely going back to Montreal so that's a little more cap space. Holtbys $6.1 million likely comes off the books too as he is on the wrong side of 30 now and quickly declining and has Samsonov at the ready to take over. Plus Travis Boyd and Leipsic are pending RFAs that are very replaceable. On their right side they have no one and no real bottom six shutdown and depth scoring forward past Oshie and Wilson. Hathaway is a fringe 4th liner and Boyd is an AHLer. Sutter is the type of player they need in their top nine on the right side.

Just now, ZH96 said:

They have Brendon Dillon ($1,635,000) as a pending UFA. He is a rental and with what he brings will demand a big raise that Washington won't want to give him. He will go to the free agent market. As well as Radko Gudas         ($ 2,345,000) as a pending UFA. And they definitely are not gonna want to give $4 to $5 million to him. Kovalchuk is also a rental who is likely going back to Montreal so that's a little more cap space. Holtbys $6.1 million likely comes off the books too as he is on the wrong side of 30 now and quickly declining and has Samsonov at the ready to take over. Plus Travis Boyd and Leipsic are pending RFAs that are very replaceable. On their right side they have no one and no real bottom six shutdown and depth scoring forward past Oshie and Wilson. Hathaway is a fringe 4th liner and Boyd is an AHLer. Sutter is the type of player they need in their top nine on the right side.

They’ll need to replace D and a goalie with the cap space freed up from Dillion and Gudas and Holtby. Kovalchuk is costing them $76,000 this season So factoring him in is inconsequential. So like I said, they have no pending UFA forwards. Spending any of their limited cap space on a 4C makes zero sense. 

Just now, qwijibo said:

They’ll need to replace D and a goalie with the cap space freed up from Dillion and Gudas and Holtby. Kovalchuk is costing them $76,000 this season So factoring him in is inconsequential. So like I said, they have no pending UFA forwards. Spending any of their limited cap space on a 4C makes zero sense. 

Carlson, Orlov, Jensen, Kempny are locked up as the top four and Siegenthaler will be ready for a bigger role as well as Lewington and L.Johansen challenging for a spot. They'd maybe need to sign a 6th defenseman and that should come cheap. If they want more D depth they will grab it at the deadline again like the last two years they have. Samsonov is ready and going to take over and Vanecek or Copley should be ready to make the jump to an NHL backup. They don't need replacements for Dillon and Gudas and definitely not for Holtby. As it stands there forward group heading into summer will be

Ovechkin-Baçkstrom-Wilson

Vrana-Kuznetsov-Oshie

Hagelin-Eller-

Panik-Dowd-Hathaway

There is a gaping need for depth on the right side and that's where Sutter is currently playing with us and would be for them. Dowd has the 4c spot locked up and Sutter could just play there if needed.

First we have to establish that TD's pads are wholly sound, not filled w/holes..cos' Holy smokes! When Steven Tyler sang a "Hole in My Soul", I thought of our goal!

Next, there's the topic of stress. Fortunately, TD DOESN'T believe it exists. It's possible he purposefully allowed many recent weak goals to prove his hypothesis..this is a long, convoluted theory, so I'll spell all that out some other time!

But yeah.. let's do some groovy, (beneficial)deals at DD, eh?!

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, BowtieCanuck said:

It's amazing how fast the average Canuck fan wants to throw a goalie under the bus for a bad game, even knowing that goalie is still developing and is not intended to be a starting goalie right now.

I wouldn't say its the "average Canuck fan". This fanbase unfortunately gets lumped in by a vocal minority of screeching bipolar lunatics that don't reflect on the whole, CDC especially.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Stecher and Sutter to NJ for a 4th and 7th. 

Roussel to Montreal for a 7th. 

Free's up around $10 million. 

Try to trade Tanev at the draft for the best we can do.

Hope Tram comes back, or Maybe Rathbone. 

We still have Juolevi, Rafferty, and Woo in the pipeline. 

Lockwood, Lind, and MacE can slot in. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Stecher and Sutter to NJ for a 4th and 7th. 

Roussel to Montreal for a 7th. 

Free's up around $10 million. 

Try to trade Tanev at the draft for the best we can do.

Hope Tram comes back, or Maybe Rathbone. 

We still have Juolevi, Rafferty, and Woo in the pipeline. 

Lockwood, Lind, and MacE can slot in. 

Why does a rebuilding NJ want an overpaid 31yr old bottom 6 forward? 
They might have some interest in Stetcher as a bottom pairing RHD. Then again they may be able to fill that spot just as effectively internally without having to deal with a RFA with arbitration rights 

Why does Montreal want Rousell? (Don’t say because he’s French). Montreal has an over abundance of bottom 6 guys. I can’t see them Having any interest 

Tanev is a pending UFA.  With the negotiation window very few teams will trade anything for the rights to a player that they can already talk to 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Both trades are terrible 

Because often injured, 31 year old, almost $5 million, 30 points if he's lucky, bottom six grinder Brandon Sutter is worth more than a 4th or 3rd at best? Also what do you realistically think Demko is gonna grab from Detroit? Zadina? Hronek? This is the value. Benning has spoke that players will be moved to get needed picks back. And these are looking like the odd men out.

Demko to DET does make sense. They wont protect Bernier and Howard is probably done.  I'd like a 2nd and a fairly well developed prospect in return.

Sutter could go to Ottawa, I think he'd be good for the youngn's there and can play a matchup game for them. Would be happy with any pick at all just to clear the cap space. 

17 hours ago, ZH96 said:

Trade #1

To Capitals: Brandon Sutter

To Canucks: (Conditional) 2022 4th round pick. Pick is conditioned upon Sutter playing at least 65 games with the Capitals in 2020-2021. Sutters injuries the past few years are what makes this the condition. If Sutter does not play at least 65 games than the pick to the Canucks becomes a 2022 7th round pick.

Trade #2

To Red Wings: Thatcher Demko

To Canucks: 2020 2nd round pick                                   (32nd overall)

and

2020 4th round pick 

(Originally Oilers pick)

In the Sutter trade it makes sense for the Capitals because Sutter fits into their system and adds alot of experience to a team in win-now mode. They could use a proper 4th line center and/or right wing depth. Sutter is very familiar with the Capitals from playing against them for so long with the Hurricanes and Penguins. The Canucks gain back a needed draft pick and don't lose out if it becomes a 7th. Sutter is one of the odd men out for team reasons and cap reasons. And he will likely be used as one of the players to garner picks back like Benning spoke about. It's a win wether it becomes a 4th or 7th. As for the Demko trade this is one that many might and if it happened would say is not enough in return. But it's more than enough. Markstrom and Domingue is a solid tandem and should be our guys moving forward. There is also alot of potential in DiPietro, Kielly, Silovs, and Thiessen waiting in the wings. Demko needs a new chance and different team and Detroit is the perfect spot. Howard is a pending UFA and aging badly and Bernier is no answer. And this is realistically what his value is at this point. He's not 2013 Cory Schneider and may never be that good. We basically get a low 1st and a 4th for a redundant piece. As Detroit will.be picking at the very top of Round 2 for sure. This trade would basically give us a 1st round pick back and a second 4th round pick.

I don't see Sutter moving for that cheap.

And I don't see Demko moving this off season, but I have a feeling Holtby may sign in Edmonton this summer as the Caps have not used him properly this season focusing more on Samsonov's fit with the club vs the team's best chance to win games.

9 hours ago, ZH96 said:

Because often injured, 31 year old, almost $5 million, 30 points if he's lucky, bottom six grinder Brandon Sutter is worth more than a 4th or 3rd at best? Also what do you realistically think Demko is gonna grab from Detroit? Zadina? Hronek? This is the value. Benning has spoke that players will be moved to get needed picks back. And these are looking like the odd men out.

Are you a closet red wangs fan or what?

Give Hughes and Pettersson for picks too, since we lack picks and Detroit has a few.

It's great that you think benning would hand Detroit a future #1 goalie for a 2nd rounder and a 4th.

Pretty fricken funny that you say "Demko may never be as good as Schneider "

Schneider has NEVER, EVER, EVEN, WON, 30, GAMES, IN, A, SEASON.

So Demko will never win 30 in a season?

Then why does Detroit want Demko?

How does Demko need a fresh start? From what?

Say GMJB trades Demko at the draft and Markstrom walks to ufa? Then what?

Domingue and Dipietro ? Ahahahha!

Face it errybody, Sutter, Beagle, Roussell, Myers will all play out their contracts unless they request a trade, especially Myers.

Yas Sutter is overpaid and injury prone. Another year with his salary vs. What assets are used to dump him on another team for a year.

Also Capitals don't need or have the cap space.

28 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I don't see Sutter moving for that cheap.

And I don't see Demko moving this off season, but I have a feeling Holtby may sign in Edmonton this summer as the Caps have not used him properly this season focusing more on Samsonov's fit with the club vs the team's best chance to win games.

Doubt Holtby signs in Edmonton, they have Smith a UFA and koskinen signed for a few more at 4.5

41 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Are you a closet red wangs fan or what?

Give Hughes and Pettersson for picks too, since we lack picks and Detroit has a few.

It's great that you think benning would hand Detroit a future #1 goalie for a 2nd rounder and a 4th.

Pretty fricken funny that you say "Demko may never be as good as Schneider "

Schneider has NEVER, EVER, EVEN, WON, 30, GAMES, IN, A, SEASON.

So Demko will never win 30 in a season?

Then why does Detroit want Demko?

How does Demko need a fresh start? From what?

Say GMJB trades Demko at the draft and Markstrom walks to ufa? Then what?

Domingue and Dipietro ? Ahahahha!

Face it errybody, Sutter, Beagle, Roussell, Myers will all play out their contracts unless they request a trade, especially Myers.

Yas Sutter is overpaid and injury prone. Another year with his salary vs. What assets are used to dump him on another team for a year.

Also Capitals don't need or have the cap space.

Doubt Holtby signs in Edmonton, they have Smith a UFA and koskinen signed for a few more at 4.5

No actually Canucks diehard from birth to now at 23 :)  (I do follow the Wings because I previously lived and played near Detroit and played in some Jr showcases in the Detroit area but 100% Canucks man). And my point is that at this time Demko is not showing any overly big signs of being a future #1. (Especially with his play on this past road trip). He needs a fresh start because Markstrom is having a Vezina calibre season and has asserted he's the starter for good. Are we really gonna trade an MVP goaltender like Markstrom that we can ride on the back of when needed? Add in we have Domingue now and great young goaltenders in DiPietro and Silovs on entry level contracts getting ready. Demko is the odd man out and Detroit would trade for him because he's an upgrade on the disasters of Bernier and Howard. And because of his POTENTIAL. But he's not tapping into that potential here I don't think and needs a fresh start. And you should know that Benning and Markstrom have already had discussions and he's not going to UFA. He wants to be in Vancouver and Benning will do anything to keep him. He obviously would lock up Markstrom before trading Demko. So Detroit as I said would be trading for an immediate upgrade and Demkos potential and at this point this is Demkos value. It's the first pick of the second round that Detroit has like I said so it's basically a 1st and a 4th. My point on the Schneider thing is Schneiders value at the time of his trade was a top 10 draft pick because we got Horvat at 9th overall in return. (Actually was more as Edmonton offered 7th overall, Klefbom, and a 2nd but we didn't want to trade him to a division rival). Because Schneider had proven more and played more steady than Demko is showing now. That's what I meant by Demko is no 2013 Schneider. And I compare the two because they're both American born Boston College product big goaltenders that have been developed by us. And as I explained before the Capitals realistically would have space for Sutter with Dillon, Gudas, Holtby all likely walking. Plus they have a weakness on the right wing side where Sutter currently plays for us. And it's going to be very bare when Kovalchuk goes back to Montreal and they're left with AHLer Travis Boyd and Garnet Hathaway to support Oshie and Wilson...