The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Trade with BUF and DET

Trade 1...in the off season as long as JB can sign Toffoli to a reasonable contract...

To BUF: Virtanen + Eriksson (after signing bonus paid)

To VAN: Future considerations

BUF need forwards and currently only have 4 forwards signed for next season. Virtanen could be a fantastic young piece in their rebuild around Eichel and Dahlin. Eriksson is the price that BUF pays to be able to sign Virtanen long term. Eriksson has shown that he can still produce at NHL level and his cap hit is easily affordable for BUF (plus LE's salary cost is only $5m for the remainder of his contract).

VAN needs to shed cap space for next season (i.e. Eriksson) and if they resign Toffoli they likely cannot afford to keep both TT and Virtanen in 2021/22 with the projected raises for EP and QH.

Trade 2...also in the off season...

To DET: Stecher + Benn + Baer

DET need help on D for next season. They only have Nemeth, Cholowski on LD and Hronek on RD. Stecher could fill a major gap in the 1st or 2nd pairing as Seider continues developing. One year of Baer is the cost of acquiring two NHL Dmen. DET have a stack of young RFAs that require resigning, but they also have $35m in cap space. Baer could remain on the roster as 14th forward (replacing Gagner) or they could play him in the AHL. Either way DET can afford the small price of cap hit in order to recruit two NHL Dmen for their roster.

Again VAN needs to shed cap. Tanev needs to be resigned which means we cannot afford to keep Stecher (likely replaced by Rafferty). Benn has been displaced by Fantenberg this season. Possibly we resign Fanta or Tryamkin returns to VAN. There is also Juolevi pushing for a place in the lineup.

Canucks Lineup for Next Season:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Toffoli

Roussel Gaudette MacEwen

Motte Beagle Sutter

(plus Hoglander or Lind, if Ferland is on LTIR)

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Tryamkin Rafferty

Juolevi

Markstrom

Demko

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

no way we give virtanen away for nothing hell no  you know they can just send eriksson to ahl  

If you think jettisoning Eriksson's contract is "nothing" then I have no words for you...

Realistically, unless there is some kind of "gentlemen's agreement" for LE to retire at the end of this season, then Virtanen is the kind of asset(s) we will have to give up to clear the LE contract. I don't believe there is any such retirement agreement.

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

If you think jettisoning Eriksson's contract is "nothing" then I have no words for you...

Realistically, unless there is some kind of "gentlemen's agreement" for LE to retire at the end of this season, then Virtanen is the kind of asset(s) we will have to give up to clear the LE contract. I don't believe there is any such retirement agreement.

I believe there is an 'agreement' just because of the fact loui 'made' the team out of camp , instead of baer ,  To me this means  loui got 2 choices  either loui was going to go to Utica and get buried   in the ahl or play nice this year and  play out the year and you can  gracefully retire after you get your bonus july 1 ,   you think Loui wants to get the baer treatment at his age  , he is taking the bonus and running  

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

If you think anyone would use Virtanen as a sweetener to get rid of Eriksson then I have no words for you. 

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

...and save about $1m...which are inconsequential savings at this point...

ya u dont give 20 goal scorers that are rfa away to get rid of a contract   u bury eriksson a million in saving is better than nothing. plus they can trade stecher and tanevs  and benns  rights go frees another 9 mill up. call up juolevi rafferty and sign tryamkin 3 mill   or they ckukd trade markstrom another 3.5 mill gine if they go with demko  plus they could trade one or 2 of sutter beagle roussel  free even more up  worst case scenario  toffoli and pearson can be traded if need be    benning coukd purge 25-30 mill if he really needed to  we need to sign gaudette and virtanen and hughes and petey the next yr   not to worried bennjng will figure it out

11 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Trade 1...in the off season as long as JB can sign Toffoli to a reasonable contract...

BUF need forwards and currently only have 4 forwards signed for next season. Virtanen could be a fantastic young piece in their rebuild around Eichel and Dahlin. Eriksson is the price that BUF pays to be able to sign Virtanen long term. Eriksson has shown that he can still produce at NHL level and his cap hit is easily affordable for BUF (plus LE's salary cost is only $5m for the remainder of his contract).

VAN needs to shed cap space for next season (i.e. Eriksson) and if they resign Toffoli they likely cannot afford to keep both TT and Virtanen in 2021/22 with the projected raises for EP and QH.

DET need help on D for next season. They only have Nemeth, Cholowski on LD and Hronek on RD. Stecher could fill a major gap in the 1st or 2nd pairing as Seider continues developing. One year of Baer is the cost of acquiring two NHL Dmen. DET have a stack of young RFAs that require resigning, but they also have $35m in cap space. Baer could remain on the roster as 14th forward (replacing Gagner) or they could play him in the AHL. Either way DET can afford the small price of cap hit in order to recruit two NHL Dmen for their roster.

Again VAN needs to shed cap. Tanev needs to be resigned which means we cannot afford to keep Stecher (likely replaced by Rafferty). Benn has been displaced by Fantenberg this season. Possibly we resign Fanta or Tryamkin returns to VAN. There is also Juolevi pushing for a place in the lineup.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Toffoli

Roussel Gaudette MacEwen

Motte Beagle Sutter

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Tryamkin Rafferty

Juolevi

Markstrom

Demko

you are giving all that talent and those assets away for nothing

i'll put this as nicely as i can

are you insane?

Edited by coastal.view
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

ya u dont give 20 goal scorers that are rfa away to get rid of a contract   u bury eriksson a million in saving is better than nothing. plus they can trade stecher and tanevs  and benns  rights go frees another 9 mill up. call up juolevi rafferty and sign tryamkin 3 mill   or they ckukd trade markstrom another 3.5 mill gine if they go with demko  plus they could trade one or 2 of sutter beagle roussel  free even more up  worst case scenario  toffoli and pearson can be traded if need be    benning coukd purge 25-30 mill if he really needed to  we need to sign gaudette and virtanen and hughes and petey the next yr   not to worried bennjng will figure it out

I'm not worried about it either, and JB will figure it out for sure. I just like to post ideas on a discussion forum in order to discuss them, so thanks for your reply and thoughts.

Yep you are 100% right. JB could make those moves too. It's all down to who you wanna keep on the team. Obviously I would LIKE to keep Virtanen. However, I would rather resign Marky, Tanev, Toffoli, Gaudette; and to do that we really need to move all of Eriksson and Baer's cap hit out (not just save a million by waiving him to the minors). Virtanen is a valuable piece that could be used in a trade.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

you are giving all that talent and those assets away for nothing

i'll put this as nicely as i can

are you insane?

What value do you think you could get for Eriksson, Benn and Baer?

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

I'm not worried about it either, and JB will figure it out for sure. I just like to post ideas on a discussion forum in order to discuss them, so thanks for your reply and thoughts.

Yep you are 100% right. JB could make those moves too. It's all down to who you wanna keep on the team. Obviously I would LIKE to keep Virtanen. However, I would rather resign Marky, Tanev, Toffoli, Gaudette; and to do that we really need to move all of Eriksson and Baer's cap hit out (not just save a million by waiving him to the minors). Virtanen is a valuable piece that could be used in a trade.

Totally agree.  If using Jake as the sweetener to dump Loui and that allows us to sign Tofu the 100% JB better do that.  

12 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Toffoli

Roussel Gaudette MacEwen

Motte Beagle Sutter

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Tryamkin Rafferty

Juolevi

Markstrom

Demko

Virtanens skillset is so unique and he has a big ceiling. I don't know why people always want to trade a hometown kid who's also the type of forward Vancouver has looked for since Bertuzzi left. I agree with the idea but Benning wants to look at using one or two of the young pieces in the system as a trade chip going forward. Not draft picks he said and I'm sure he doesn't want to do roster pieces like Virtanen or Gaudette either. We also want draft picks back not just future considerations. How about we give Buffalo a younger power forward.. A prospect from Utica.. Jonah Gadjovich and Loui Eriksson for a 2020 4th. As for the trade with Detroit that's a good idea to package a younger right handed D man like Stecher with a bad contract to clear some cap. They won't want Baertschi and Benns contract though and Benn is actually a good depth D man and a hometown guy. Stecher and Baertschi to the Wings for a 2020 3rd.

52 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

What value do you think you could get for Eriksson, Benn and Baer?

benn is an asset - depth dman for many teams, we really liked him before fatenberg stepped up his game

virt is an asset - he can net a solid return, has potential upside still

the other 2 have no value, they can just waste and have their contracts expire