The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] NHL’s new puck will premiere on opening night of playoffs

Rate this topic

So, not sure if anyone cares or not, but the system that they are implementing, with the RF tags in uniforms etc, is usually done with Blockchain, the same concept that powers Bitcoin. 

The information stream that this should provide to the benches in real time will be staggering.

Through this, they should be able to measure compete level and speed of players in real time and measure it against historical data as the system builds its database. So, 2 years from now, a coach should be able to look at a player and know that he's moving 8.3% slower than he has the rest of the season, allowing them to make lineup adjustments to make sure that player isn't matched up too much that night with guys who are the real speed guys on the other team.

GM's will be able to look at data when negotiating contracts and know exact rate of incline or decline in performance of the guy they are negotiating contract with.

Will be awesome once its fully implemented.

Edited by VegasCanuck
Additional

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

They hand out those fake sticks, so I imagine handing out regular pucks won't be an issue. I'm curious if they'll expect you to throw the puck back on the ice (or hand to an usher) during game play like how you have to throw the ball back in soccer. If you take it home, they can track you!

I read, no plans to ask fans to return pucks

edit: they cost ~$100 apparently to produce 

Edited by 'NucK™

1 hour ago, 'NucK™ said:

I read, no plans to ask fans to return pucks

edit: they cost ~$100 apparently to produce 

That's an expensive souvenir then. They probably lose like 5 pucks a game. 8 game night will cost them $4000 bucks. I guess they could always bump up ticket prices.

14 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, not sure if anyone cares or not, but the system that they are implementing, with the RF tags in uniforms etc, is usually done with Blockchain, the same concept that powers Bitcoin. 

The information stream that this should provide to the benches in real time will be staggering.

Through this, they should be able to measure compete level and speed of players in real time and measure it against historical data as the system builds its database. So, 2 years from now, a coach should be able to look at a player and know that he's moving 8.3% slower than he has the rest of the season, allowing them to make lineup adjustments to make sure that player isn't matched up too much that night with guys who are the real speed guys on the other team.

GM's will be able to look at data when negotiating contracts and know exact rate of incline or decline in performance of the guy they are negotiating contract with.

Will be awesome once its fully implemented.

“Okay Loui, you’ve officially become the worst player in the league. We’ll only be able to play you in the top 6 for 7 minutes/game”

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, theo5789 said:

That's an expensive souvenir then. They probably lose like 5 pucks a game. 8 game night will cost them $4000 bucks. I guess they could always bump up ticket prices.

Yea if they bump up ticket prices by 1$ they could afford 180 pucks after 1 sellout..

On 3/4/2020 at 9:25 AM, PlanB said:

Ummm, anyone else here remember the embarrassing 'Fox Glow Puck' debacle in the 90's?  

They used it briefly at this years all star game. It was annoying. Even in a mean nothing game. Its distracting from the play. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, LionofJudah said:

They used it briefly at this years all star game. It was annoying. Even in a mean nothing game. Its distracting from the play. 

Does a real hockey fan really need to actually see the puck to know where it is?  This glow puck craperolla is for the ignorant US viewers.  And there aren’t that many of them down there anyway.  

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does a real hockey fan really need to actually see the puck to know where it is?  This glow puck craperolla is for the ignorant US viewers.  And there aren’t that many of them down there anyway.  

No. Not at all. And it doesn't help the casual fan either imo. They would be too busy watching were the puck is and not learning the game. I just really hope it's not like the glow puck and they use it during game play. It could be useful for intermission shows when they are breaking down plays. Or when they need to find out if they puck hit the net over the end glass.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 1:31 PM, 250Integra said:

I guess fans won't be getting pucks from players now (unless they warm up with normal pucks?)

face palm GIF

What about when the puck goes out of bounds into the audience? I’m sure they will keep it