The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 04, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

Woulda been nice to have Myers back there.

That first goal... was unlucky. That was the weirdest projectory u can expect from something deflected from the side of the net. The puck just came around the net, too. 

Bad mistake by Stetch in that 2nd goal. Focus has never been an issue with him but that one was just bad. 

These Refs were bush league. Given their performance tonight, they deserve to be called out. 

Literally, that  one ref was defending alongside a Coyote when JV came 1v2 on them. 

3rd goal was just bad... Benn lost his guy, tried to risk blocking the shot and missed. That screened Demmer. 

And Sutter, covering 2 players, went for the guy close to the hash mark, losing Crouse. 

I don't agree with putting Roussel out in that last shift. That was also pretty bad. 

Bad result at a bad time. 

I thought Benn moved his guy out while Sutter slept beside crouse

2 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Fire Green !!!

4 losses in a row 

another blown lead 
Makes no lineup changes

plays Roussel with the net empty 

Sits Jake down late after he played great

do you people finally see what I mean? 

he is incompetent 

ya mindboggling is how he limits jakes ice time when he drives play what a joke of a coach  hes a dud  and do is our special teams and defense coordinator fire the lot 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

Keep it civil folks. I'll be removing anything over the line or straying too far into trolling territory. Take a break if you need to, and post when you're in a better frame of mind. 

Took your advice and used the past 3 hours to collect my thoughts. I want this team to win so bad, I love this team. I bleed blue and green. I guess its hard for me to stay positive sometimes when all I've ever seen is everything go wrong for this team. I became a fan of the team back in 2008 maybe 2007? I was 8 or 9 and the Canucks were up and coming. In 2011 I saw them come 1 win away, like everyone else did. I got that taste of us being so close. For the last 8 years its been painful to watch and yet I've stuck around and cheered for the team because we were so close . It tough as a fan when it seems like I take the losses harder than some of our own players on the team. 

The desire to win seems to be missing with certain players. To do whatever it takes to win. I don't want to sit here and bash guys but when I see Sutter out there not hitting anybody, bringing little offence most night and playing soft, it drives me crazy. It may not be your game, but look like your willing to do whatever it takes to win. Go to battle with your teammates. He plays decent defence but every NHL player can play decent defence. I guess some guys are wired differently, with a certain mentality. He doesn't stay late after practice to work on details like he's trying to get better. Seems content with being average. To me its unacceptable and shows you the true colours of the player. When the going gets tough you see Petey stay out after practice because he missed 1 pass from JT the game before and didn't score. That tells you all you need to know. Thats the difference between Sutter and guys that have that desire to be better. 

I see an "A" on Sutter's sweater and hear all this stuff about he's great for Petey and the young guys, and I guarantee Sutter hasn't taught them one thing they don't already know (Unless its a country song lol), nor do they look up to him. Now JT Miller a guy who busts his ass, stays late after practice to work on set plays/work with the young guys, a guy who drags the team into the fight and will go to battle with/for teammates, not to mention communicate/guide them on the ice and shows emotion. Now that's someone id look at and try to be like. I just don't like the optics side of things from management/coaching. I know its a business but c'mon. Foundational player(Sutter) and Little things Loui. It's like cut the BS, get rid of them and and once you do own your mistake and say it didn't work here. Don't just have them waste roster spots and take away from deserving players.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

Problem isn't green. Problem is the defensive system and that's on Baumgartner. If they can get rid of him I think that would go a long way into fixing our woes. Our defense corps isn't bad. Edler, Tanev, Hughes, Myers, Stecher and Fantenberg are all pretty competent defenders but the system they're playing isn't enabling them. The forwards play a decent style of hockey that gets us a decent amount of goals most games, but other teams are playing tighter checking games down the stretch and we're not which is the difference. That's on Baumgartner, not Green.

40 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Took your advice and used the past 3 hours to collect my thoughts. I want this team to win so bad, I love this team. I bleed blue and green. I guess its hard for me to stay positive sometimes when all I've ever seen is everything go wrong for this team. I became a fan of the team back in 2008 maybe 2007? I was 8 or 9 and the Canucks were up and coming. In 2011 I saw them come 1 win away, like everyone else did. I got that taste of us being so close. For the last 8 years its been painful to watch and yet I've stuck around and cheered for the team because we were so close . It tough as a fan when it seems like I take the losses harder than some of our own players on the team. 

The desire to win seems to be missing with certain players. To do whatever it takes to win. I don't want to sit here and bash guys but when I see Sutter out there not hitting anybody, bringing little offence most night and playing soft, it drives me crazy. It may not be your game, but look like your willing to do whatever it takes to win. Go to battle with your teammates. He plays decent defence but every NHL player can play decent defence. I guess some guys are wired differently, with a certain mentality. He doesn't stay late after practice to work on details like he's trying to get better. Seems content with being average. To me its unacceptable and shows you the true colours of the player. When the going gets tough you see Petey stay out after practice because he missed 1 pass from JT the game before and didn't score. That tells you all you need to know. Thats the difference between Sutter and guys that have that desire to be better. 

I see an "A" on Sutter's sweater and hear all this stuff about he's great for Petey and the young guys, and I guarantee Sutter hasn't taught them one thing they don't already know (Unless its a country song lol), nor do they look up to him. Now JT Miller a guy who busts his ass, stays late after practice to work on set plays/work with the young guys, a guy who drags the team into the fight and will go to battle with/for teammates, not to mention communicate/guide them on the ice and shows emotion. Now that's someone id look at and try to be like. I just don't like the optics side of things from management/coaching. I know its a business but c'mon. Foundational player(Sutter) and Little things Loui. It's like cut the BS, get rid of them and and once you do own your mistake and say it didn't work here. Don't just have them waste roster spots and take away from deserving players.

Posters with so much advice,

Eriksson, Roussel, Sutter should not be playing or on the team

Another coach should be fired because the players don't win

How good it is that the cap is going up because this team needs all the space it can get.

As a fan I have a vision of this team, players and a goal.

This group is not my vision, it is Benning's and he has taken 6 years to finely craft this group.

Benning's vision of the right coach

Benning's vision of how to manage the cap and veteran players

All this disappointment in various players and so much pressure put on 4 young rookies and second year players, so much expectations.

For 5 years some posters have backed Bennng's every move, well pretty much all of them, held out with patience as some draft picks take years to develop, cheered when draft picks were squandered in the early days and have an almost religious faith that Benning knows all.

Some posters have been patient but skepitical at times but willing to see how things go, silently refusing their urges to post too much negativity for fear of not being "liked" or a desire to get more good points from peers

And then there were the few that saw what was happening and clearly stated their opinions in this forum instead of the real hate forum because they didn't hate anyone, they just had seen this so often and in some cases participated, they posted anyway, they stuck to their guns and endured as much as the watchers would allow, they called it as they saw it, sometimes wrong, a few times right but always on the same side as all the posters in this Canuck Forum, a a fan that expresses opinions and really wants the team to win the Stanley Cup.

It is too early for this group, too many older players and not enough of the future.

Even if they make the playoffs and they still could, trying to cram 2 or 4 years of experience onto the shoulders of few very kids this team has could have consequences, could have, not will have.

The last month, even when all were healthy except Boeser, whose game had declined considerably, the team was winning on the back of one man mostly, Markstrom and not even winning enough then of the last 10 games he played they only won 4 so as good as he was there was a problem he was blurring.

Demko will be a good to great goalie if he starts the year with more games or as a starter, the media guys are right it is a mind set.

Just don't get over excited over a single game result but if you must blame someone really take a look at who designed the team not the employees or hired hands.

There are only two people that have that say and only one hired to be the General Manager of ALL hockey operations, selecting and hiring coaches, deciding which FA's to pursue and how much to pay for how long and gift them a clause to dictate terms that harm the franchise, determines which draft picks are disposalbe and uses his own judgement and evaluation skills to determine how good the team is. I really dislike that all the players and coaches get so much heat, when there is so much wrong maybe it isn't the players trying their hearts out, the coach that knows the sharpness of the razor edge his job is on to be the fall guy, If there is that much wrong then the guy that has a hand in all of it is the only common denominator left. Don't get distracted by a play that takes 15 seconds on the ice from 6 years of development.

Edited by Lazurus

28 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Problem isn't green. Problem is the defensive system and that's on Baumgartner. If they can get rid of him I think that would go a long way into fixing our woes. Our defense corps isn't bad. Edler, Tanev, Hughes, Myers, Stecher and Fantenberg are all pretty competent defenders but the system they're playing isn't enabling them. The forwards play a decent style of hockey that gets us a decent amount of goals most games, but other teams are playing tighter checking games down the stretch and we're not which is the difference. That's on Baumgartner, not Green.

Green is the one that has the overall responsibility.  If he doesn't like Baumgartner's approach he needs to instruct him to change it.  

43 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

exactly how?

there are 6 players on the ice mostly.... 1 is in goal

the 2 dmen and 3 omen plays interlocking systems

the omen have d responsibilities

the dmen have o responsibilities

so these really are team systems of play

those systems are designed/approved by the head coach

baum would be given responsibility to ensure the dmen understand the system and implement it

green appears to take on the omen responsibility

there are not 2 distinct systems of play

an offensive system that applies to the offensive players

and a defensive system for the dmen that baum designs and implements

i am continually mystified by posters

who suggest that the team d problems rest with baum

i'd like this explained in detail to me if i am incorrect

no one has contradicted this for me before

i welcome being shown i'm wrong

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

exactly how?

there are 6 players on the ice mostly.... 1 is in goal

the 2 dmen and 3 omen plays interlocking systems

the omen have d responsibilities

the dmen have o responsibilities

so these really are team systems of play

those systems are designed/approved by the head coach

baum would be given responsibility to ensure the dmen understand the system and implement it

green appears to take on the omen responsibility

there are not 2 distinct systems of play

an offensive system that applies to the offensive players

and a defensive system for the dmen that baum designs and implements

i am continually mystified by posters

who suggest that the team d problems rest with baum

i'd like this explained in detail to me if i am incorrect

no one has contradicted this for me before

i welcome being shown i'm wrong

One thing not taken into account is that Hughes is playing like a rover and that causes lots of points for him but you then have forwards scrambling back to cover and the other defense man sometime switching sides. Stecher sometimes get caught too.

Hughes could not play a conventional defense man role, his skill set is his skating and not so much zone play.

Columbus uses a rover too and he has similar negative plus minus

48 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

I can totally relate to you man. I started watching around the same time. Back then, me and all my buddies in high school all watched the team. After 2011 and the years that followed, there was so much pain that slowly, all of my friends stopped following the team. After the disasterous 2014 season, they have never tuned back in. And so watching the team wasn't as fun for me as well. 

I remember when game 7 of 2011 ended, Jim Hughson said a line that I have never forgotten till this day. The pain throughout the years has only reinforced the idea of what he said that day. What he said was "It will take time for Canucks fans to realize the achievements of this team (the 2011 canucks team)". 

There is a reason though that I have stuck around and all my friends left the team. They continued to have something that I lost after 2011. Expectations. If you have high expectations and the team doesn't meet them, it creates pain. If that pain, goes for long enough, it drive away fans from the team. If you have low expectations, and they are exceeded it creates joy. Like Petey winning the calder (which many did not expect), like Hughes falling into our draft range and being so good. Like Miller being traded to us and being so good. 

We should not assume and expect that this team will make the playoffs. We should not assume and expect this core of Canucks to even make the finals. Although, I didn't watch them then, I can see that the WCE era didn't even make finals. They only won one round. My other point is me and you tuned in at a good time. Imagine if we started watching in 2014 or 2016. We probably wouldn't be sitting here today if we did.  

Game 7 of 2011 was painful for not only you, but everyone, because many of us expected us to win. However, it was a fun ride as well. I remember me and my friends held signs telling drivers to honk if they supported the canucks and almost every driver enthusiastically did that time. The whole city, and a large portion of the province was captivated by the team. You could walk down any street and start a conversation with almost anybody about the team. The teams extraordinary success had caught the attention of even the most hardened cynics and had united an entire province.

But if you think about it, it was actually the unexpected that created the best moments of the 2011 playoffs. 

Burrows exceeded our expectations by talking the puck unexpectedly from the chicago defenseman and unexpectedly just shot it and it unexpectedly went in, relieving all the tension in one second of chicago potentially pulling the upset on us. The canucks unexpectedly scored 3 5-3 goals in a matter of minutes .The puck unexpectedly bounced off the stanchion, and unexpectedly no one but Bieksa knew where the puck was, and the puck was bouncing all the way but unexpectedly went in. A scoreless game unexpectedly had its first goal with 18 seconds to go. A tight tied game unexpectedly ended very early in overtime as Burrows unexpectedly outcompeted Chara and unexpectedly fooled Thomas with his fake shot. I can go on and on. 

So don't worry, this feeling you have right now, will lower your expectations and as a result create moments of joy later on. It's just the cycle of being a canucks fan. 

2 hours ago, canuktravella said:

sign tryamkin on the 8th call up juolevi and rafferty  waive eriksson and sutter and pressbox stecher  lets see what the future canucks can do itcant be worst than the last few weeks of garbage vets 

Wtf is joulevi going to do lol. He cant even stay healthy in the ahl at this point. 

Also I like how you suggest calling up 2 Dman and waiving 2 forwards. Are you suggesting they OJ and Raf play forward? Or just call them up to send the comets in the same spiral as the canucks?

Update

CGY:  77 pts 14GR: ARI, VGK, NYI, WPG, NYR, NYI, NJD, TB, SJS, ANA, VAN, WPG, VGK, EDM
VAN: 74pts 16GR: COL, CBJ, NYI, ARI, COL, WPG, TB, ANA,LAK, VGK, SJS, CGY,ANA,DAL, ARI, VGK
NSH: 72pts 16GR: DAL, DAL, MTL, TOR, CBJ, MIN,COL,PHI, CHI, WPG,LAK,ARI, COL, MTL, PHI, MIN
WPG: 74pts 14GR: VGK, ARI, EDM, CGY, VAN, FLA, MIN, DAL,NSH,COL, VGK, CGY, COL, ARI
ARI: 74pts 14GR: CGY, WPG, VAN, NYR, DAL, VGK, DET,LAK, VGK,NSH, SJS, COL, VAN, WPG
MIN: 73pts 16GR:  SJS, LAK, ANA, VGK, PHI, NSH, CHI, CHI, WPG, COL, NJD, BUF, STL, NYI, WSH, NSH

ARI = 1 CGY, 2 WPG, 1 NSH, 2 VAN:  Most points they can get= 14pts,OTL= 7pts
NSH= 2 MIN, 1 WPG, 1 ARI: Most pts they can get= 8pts, OTL= 4pts
WPG= 2 ARI, 2 CGY, 1 VAN: Most pts they can get= 10pts, OTL= 5pts
MIN= 2 NSH, 1 WPG: Most pts they can get= 6pts, OTL= 3pts
CGY= 1 ARI, 2 WPG, 1 VAN: Most pts they can get= 8pts, OTL= 4pts
VAN = 2 ARI, 1WPG, 1 CGY: Most pts they can get= 8pts, OTL= 4pts

ARI MAX = 88pts, ARI MID = 81pts, ARI LOW=74pts GR= 8
CGY MAX= 83pts, CGY MID = 79pts, CGY LOW= 75pts GR= 11
NSH MAX= 80pts, NSH MID= 76pts, NSH LOW= 72pts GR= 12
WPG MAX= 84pts, WPG MID= 79pts, WPG LOW= 74pts GR= 9
MIN MAX= 79pts, MIN MID= 76pts, MIN LOW= 73pts GR= 12
VAN MAX= 82pts, VAN MIN= 78pts, Van Low= 74pts GR= 12

Current Standings:

CGY- 77 points- 14GR * playoff spot

VAN- 74 points- 16GR * playoff spot

WPG- 74 points- 14GR * playoff spot

ARI- 74Points- 14GR

MIN- 73 points- 16GR

NSH- 72 Points- 16GR

Edited by Nicklas Bo Hunter

4 hours ago, qwijibo said:

He’s 25. He’ll be 26 by the time next season starts. He’s the veteran of over 400 professional games between the KHL and NHL. And at no time has he ever dominated.  If he can’t dominate in the KHL he probably projects to be a bottom pairing guy in the NHL. GM’s aren’t going to pay a premium for the rights to someone with that career trajectory 

Didn’t say premium, but he can step into the league right now and play.  D develop later so 26 is not old.  He has a lot of value.  

• Upvote 1