Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 04, 2020

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

That’s what Aquilini and JB are selling.  We are finished the rebuild, and it’s a steady climb to being an elite cup contender.  I disagree. We have two great young players in Petey and Hughes.  We needed to draft at least one more forward and one more D to complete that core.  Maybe that’s Pods and Rathbone, and we will be fine.  But having top five picks for two more drafts would increase our chances of having those two young guys to go with Petey and Hughes.  

Watching this team for these past couple months get badly outshot, loss possession battles, and play soft has made me very concerned about our future.  

You have been adamant that we are done the rebuild. Benning has in the system and has stated that he hopes to have at least 7 young players make the team over the next couple of years. That's a third of the roster getting a makeover with youth. How is that indicative of a finished rebuild? Most teams start with two great young players and have them surrounded with quality role/depth players. In those cases, many teams have won top 2 or 3 picks. We have arguably gotten those players in Petey and Quinn despite not winning the top picks.

Where we lack in prospects, we can fill through trade. Benning has added two top 6 (arguably top line) forwards with picks that we are hoping those picks will become anyway. We could just as easily draft a dud in the top 5 (as many teams have done) and suddenly we take a step back in our progression. We still have a wealth of riches in our prospect pool and Benning seemingly has a plan in place on how to develop them to what we are hoping they would be for our future.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Problem isn't green. Problem is the defensive system and that's on Baumgartner. If they can get rid of him I think that would go a long way into fixing our woes. Our defense corps isn't bad. Edler, Tanev, Hughes, Myers, Stecher and Fantenberg are all pretty competent defenders but the system they're playing isn't enabling them. The forwards play a decent style of hockey that gets us a decent amount of goals most games, but other teams are playing tighter checking games down the stretch and we're not which is the difference. That's on Baumgartner, not Green.

For those too young to remember, Bum-Gardener was a fifth line call-up defenseman only used in Extreme cases of injury to the regular D-core - as a very last resort when there was absolutely no one else left - anywhere to use.   So why TF is he defensive coach?

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

For those too young to remember, Bum-Gardener was a fifth line call-up defenseman only used in Extreme cases of injury to the regular D-core - as a very last resort when there was absolutely no one else left - anywhere to use.   So why TF is he defensive coach?

Because he’s cheap?  

Burn Green for Gallant. 4/20/20 will be a good day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And Babs is an arrogant SOB, who is a control freak.  He took that Leafs crap team to their franchises best ever result - 105 points.  He got 100% the best out of everyone of their players.  He didn’t play the softies.  He rewarded guys who played the right way.  He supported his elite stars.  He’s hated, feared, and loathed.  He’s exactly what our top young players want.  Elite athletes want all their teammates to be accountable.  Babs does that.  

Alf, normally I enjoy your comments and insight. But reading your latest replies I don't understand your hard on for Babcock. He is not the coach we need nor do I want him anywhere near our young players. Who we need is Gallant.

This team was always going to struggle this year; we knew this coming into the season. They are hitting the wall and injuries are piling up at an important time of year. This doesn't mean that the future is any less bright. The team could look completely different in the summer.

Lets all take a deep breath people. It is not the end of the world, nor is it the end of the season yet. Canucks will right the ship or they miss the playoffs. Simple as that.

• Upvote 1

What's Mattias Ohlund up to these days? I'm sure he can draw up a better defensive game plan than Bumgarner

• Vintage 1

Almost time to start digging into the draft.

What did we have at one point, an 8 pt playoff cushion? 

I wonder what changes will come if this team misses the playoffs..

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Almost time to start digging into the draft.

What did we have at one point, an 8 pt playoff cushion? 

I wonder what changes will come if this team misses the playoffs..

Will be burning some green for gallant I'll tell you what. 4/20/20 isn't that far away.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Green is 9 games below .500

If we have such good players, as many suggest, why do we struggle to keep shots down, and have poor puck possession?  It’s a coach who is passive in his philosophy, and has junior systems.  

If we had Babs this season we are 10 wins better.  Our young core deserves an elite coach, and not Softy Green.  

We're still in a playoff spot!! No talking about Babcock!!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Mmm I wouldn't put too much stock in how a player was to regard how they'll be as a coach.

Scotty Bowman was a 'meh' player in Junior, and wound up being an amazing coach.

Gretzky was the best player to play the game, and wound up being a terrible coach.

The skills required to be a coach are not directly relative to ones' value as a player in present or past. Don't fall into that trap.

Now it's entirely plausible that the skills are lacking in both coaching and playing ability - that's fine, it's a tough league to be the best. But it's definitely two different frames of mind to take.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Gretzky was considered the GOAT. He was terrible as a coach. Barry Trotz (who IMO is the best coach in the game right now) never played a single NHL game. Their hockey playing careers do not define them as coaches.

• Like 2
  • Hydration 1

2 minutes ago, brownky said:

Mmm I wouldn't put too much stock in how a player was to regard how they'll be as a coach.

Scotty Bowman was a 'meh' player in Junior, and wound up being an amazing coach.

Gretzky was the best player to play the game, and wound up being a terrible coach.

The skills required to be a coach are not directly relative to ones' value as a player in present or past. Don't fall into that trap.

Now it's entirely plausible that the skills are lacking in both coaching and playing ability - that's fine, it's a tough league to be the best. But it's definitely two different frames of mind to take.

Yeah, but, it's pretty clear that Baumgartner is not a good coach.

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

How the hell was this game entertaining? The game was frustrating, not entertaining to me. I mean look at the circumstances and whats a stake. We have lost 4-5 games? now and 10 losses in our last 15 games. I don't understand how anybody could find this last stretch of hockey from our club to be entertaining. 

Every single game, we have the same deficiencies and certain players as well as questionable moves from coaching staff the last several games that is hindering our chances of success. Our defense has been atrocious, we always play from behind to start off games, and we seem to not be able to close out games the last 10 minutes of the game. We have this very pathetic mindset to our team, where whenever we make mistakes, they are just allowed to go out there and make more of the same mistakes without punishment. 

We have injuries, sure, but good teams find ways to win games and we need certain players to step up in crucial times like these and we haven't had that enough. Miller and Virtanen have elevated their games, that's not enough. One player I'm truly waiting on to step up here is Pettersson. He has been very disappointing. These last couple of games made realize Petey may not quite be there yet. 

Also, Green, seriously, do a &^@#ing shake up with the roster or something, we've been trying the same thing for the last 15 or so games and it obviously hasn't been working. Baumer, introduce some new defensive structures for our defense, $&!#s not been working for the last couple of months. 

If we lose our next game, there has to be major changes to our coaching staff. I don't care what time of the year it is, we have not made the playoffs in 4 seasons, we are hungry for some playoff action, not just for the fans, but the players themselves. We need this roster to experience what it's like to play a full season of wear and tear hockey as well as playing in an intense, high stakes, physical environment of hockey, where you cannot afford to make mistakes and do everything that's necessary to stay alive.

I'm tired of seeing this $&!# everyday. 

Petey 1 goal and 2 assists last game.   he has been playing well lately, although I am praising Jake he was good last night, he hasn't been great the last while. Miller was good, but others played well too , Horvat, Toffoli, Hughes, in fact I think our first and second lines played well, 3rd line was awful, 4th line we missed Beagle, but Motte played really well. Ben and Fantenberg were awful.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Canucklehead53 said:

I think I may need to take a break from CDC, too much negativity from too many bandwagon fans and trolls. Yes I am frustrated with results as of late but I am not giving up on this team. I will continue to watch and cheer for the boys but these forums are just too much lately with all the negativity which is a shame because I find the forums otherwise give the games that extra dimension. I am actually more disappointed in all of us than I am in the result of the game.

I say this but CDC might end up like a bad addiction where I am back for the next game -.-

grace helbig cheer GIF by This Might Get

Edited by cuporbust

51 minutes ago, Kushman said:

Blind loyalty towards Green continues for some fans.

He's a nice guy, comes across as very personable.. The 31 thoughts interview was great, you want to like him. But being likeable doesn't = being a good coach. Green and Nolan Baumgartner are both new to coaching at this level and it shows. Neither of them have shown that they're some brilliant savant coaches at the minor level, they were quite average... Why do people think they'd be something amazing at the highest level with no experience? Theyre learning on the job, which would be fine for the rebuild.. But this teams window is now, and playoffs this year were/ still are a legitimate possibility. Proper experienced coaching would get them through. This late into the season however, I think we may be stuck seeing where this green train takes us.

Hopefully gallant is still available in the summer. 

I agree with this assessment, Is being a Canuck's fan agreeing with everything coaching does? I don't believe coach Green will change his coaching style, so look forward to the same results. Markstrom's injury is a factor, not looking forward to another new season with coach Green.

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I didn’t watch the game. Lucky me. 

Instead, I watched Black Label Society at the Vogue. 

My evening was so much more fun than most of these posters’. 

I don’t know what’s worse, the usual Kumbaya lemming-signing in here or this stuff in here right now.

It's like a film loop.  The same people saying the same things over and over.:bored:

• Hydration 1

How blown away would the Canuck fan base have been if Travis Green said this after last nights game and recent losing skid..?

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, brownky said:

Babcock is a terribly overrated coach. If you want Elite, go for Gallant.

Babcock and Gallant were fired from good teams for a reason and especially Gallant  fired from 2 teams recently must be a reason why?