The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 04, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I feel like the Canucks as a team need this sort of change. Not positive that Green can get the most out of our roster.

I wouldn't mind giving him a chance. Old school but a players coach.

Our goal differential in the third period is at the bottom of the league.  Last change at home, and still Green has Stecher out against Taylor Hall, and we have a 2-1 lead.  

• Huggy Bear 1

20 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Gretzky was considered the GOAT. He was terrible as a coach. Barry Trotz (who IMO is the best coach in the game right now) never played a single NHL game. Their hockey playing careers do not define them as coaches.

So how do you pick a good coach? maybe looking at a coach's record, experience in the NHL, or maybe other hockey leagues. Maybe there should be scouting for coaches too.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why does wanting Babs or Gallant make us dumb?  Doesn’t wanting our team to be better make us fans?  

Babs and Gallant r the only names this dumbass fanbase throws out because it’s the only 2 big names they know. I’m sure thrs other coaches out thr possibly in the ahl that would be better suited for this team or another previous nhl coach.

And what guarantee does Babs and Gallant make us better? Toronto players hated Babs and Vegas players tuned out Gallant.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

14 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Babcock and Gallant were fired from good teams for a reason and especially Gallant  fired from 2 teams recently must be a reason why?

Babcock was fired because he's an overrated dick.

Gallant was fired for... odd reasons. Vegas I'd assume was ownership being impatient and having overly high expectations from a very lofty expansion season result. When they came back to reality given the roster they had, along with the GM change I'd surmise (without knowing the whole story) that someone decided a change had to be made. I think it was a mistake, but they did it.

Florida I have no idea what that was about. I mean he coached them to the playoffs the year before, the team was starting .500 but showing good signs of improvement and... he got canned.

Maybe he's hard on the management team or speaks out of turn (similar to how the Ottawa exec got canned by Melnyk). Total speculation though, that's all behind closed door stuff.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our goal differential in the third period is at the bottom of the league.  Last change at home, and still Green has Stecher out against Taylor Hall, and we have a 2-1 lead.  

Gotta rotate those 4 lines in order!

13 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Gallant was just recently fired from the Knights, and before that the Panthers. I pretty sure the Knights were on a roll when he was fired

Yeah Gallant was given a raw deal. The knights had some of the best analytics, but fleury was pretty bad early on. The knights haven't really played much different since gallant was fired, but fleury started playing better. They would be in the same position now if they never fired gallant. Show me a good coach and I'll show you a good goalie and vice versa. It's no coincidence all the coaches fired this year had goalies with horrible stats. 

I do think a coach can be given too much credit or too much blame precisely for that reason. Wasn't green in coach of the year talks while markstrom was rolling? He hasn't suddenly become bad while markstrom is hurt. We just haven't been getting enough saves lately and I love demko, but he had a bad road trip that I can't excuse. Yesterday, he played well and I felt so bad for him how it ended cause it was looking like a great bounce back game for him. 

Edited by FireGillis
  • Cheers 3

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

If the team misses the playoffs, I'm thinking that Benning will pull the plug on this coaching staff.

It's his last get out of jail free card.

Not sure that he'd survive another season if we don't make the playoffs again and if he fails at freeing up cap this off-season. Not sure that and the uproar of giving up a lotto to NJD would sit well with Aqua.

Hope he is able to free up some cap with the cap going up so he can add pieces we need.

9 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Gallant was just recently fired from the Knights, and before that the Panthers. I pretty sure the Knights were on a roll when he was fired

The Knights apparently were working on an extension, then Vegas had a rough week and they fired him. Panthers never should have fired Gallant to begin with tbh. It's not his fault Florida ownership won't pay to the cap for a good team. I'd take Gallant over Green every day of the week. Guy coaches the team the same way regardless of the situation of the game. And if replacing Green also means replacing Baumer I'll fly down to Vancouver and drive them both to their new team personally. 

If he were fired for some nefarious reason it would have leaked to us long time ago. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, FireGillis said:

Yeah Gallant was given a raw deal. The knights had some of the best analytics, but fleury was pretty bad early on. The knights haven't really played much different since gallant was fired, but fleury starting playing better. They would be in the same position now if they never fired gallant. Show me a good coach and I'll show you a good goalie and vice versa. It's no coincidence all the coaches fired this year had goalies with horrible stats. 

I do think a coach can be given too much credit or too much blame precisely for that reason. Wasn't green in coach of the year talks while markstrom was rolling? He hasn't suddenly become bad while markstrom is hurt. We just haven't been getting enough saves lately and I love demko, but he had a bad road trip that I can't excuse. Yesterday, he played and I felt so bad for him how it ended cause it was looking like a great bounce back game for him. 

I wasn't paying attention to that chatter, but if so that's not a good case.

Road record is what makes a coach. Straight up. If you can win on the road to a similar degree as you can at home, that's where a coach proves value.

A goalie can make or break a coach for sure, but a system can make or break a goalie as well. Recognizing what you have and working within that... that's the job of the coach.

It'd be like a coach asking Darian Hatcher or Hal Gill to play like Quinn Hughes, because that's what the coach wants to see in his mind.

• Upvote 1

It's his last get out of jail free card.

Not sure that he'd survive another season if we don't make the playoffs again and if he fails at freeing up cap this off-season. Not sure that and the uproar of giving up a lotto to NJD would sit well with Aqua.

Hope he is able to free up some cap with the cap going up so he can add pieces we need.

I think Green is his last buffer. Was Green a Linden hire, or a Benning hire? If it was a Linden hire, I could see Benning being given one more shot after selecting a coach.

He'll also need to get rid of as much of the deadweight veterans as possible this off-season too. He needs to do better with the defense. Thinking that he'll go hard after Dillon (if he goes to free agency).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, LateNightBus said:

So how do you pick a good coach? maybe looking at a coach's record, experience in the NHL, or maybe other hockey leagues. Maybe there should be scouting for coaches too.

#1 is the road record, from there, consistency in records from year to year, adversity handling - IE How does the team perform when a major player goes down; do they fold like a tent in a windstorm or do they still find a way to fight through, albeit likely with some lesser results - even better if not.

Ability to adapt to a changing game is difficult to quantify, but you can pretty obviously know it when you see it - and that adaptability leads to the above 'criteria'. A coach who can get stuff done in different ways on different teams is probably going to have success on many rosters and teams.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

This market needs to chill on the knee jerk reactions. Seasons not done yet. This team is still very capable of making the playoffs and winning a round. But instead we got a fanbase acting like a bunch of b*****s!

I agree. Canucks fans can be such assholes on social media when things aren't going well. I can't enjoy a nice Instagram pic of the dog race without like 80% of the comments crying with the sky is falling takes. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

People are freaking out at the coach but don’t look at our roster. This is a bubble team on paper and they are playing like one.

We have two veteran top 4 defensive d-men. Myers and our rookie Hughes are offensive d-men playing big minutes. In net we currently have two backup goalies. 

If we look at Arizona they have a legit starter in net and on D they have 3 top 4 defensive d-men and 1 top 4 two way d-man.

Our offence can be very good and win us games but you can’t make the playoffs if you don’t have a complete team.

• Cheers 1

Just now, FireGillis said:

I agree. Canucks fans can be such assholes on social media when things aren't going well. I can't enjoy a nice Instagram pic of the dog race without like 80% of the comments crying with the sky is falling takes. 

No support when things are going south. Just a bunch of know it all’s calling for peoples heads to be fired. Clown ass fanbase. Thrs still solid fans out thr but these clown fans can be overwhelming.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Green is his last buffer. Was Green a Linden hire, or a Benning hire? If it was a Linden hire, I could see Benning being given one more shot after selecting a coach.

He'll also need to get rid of as much of the deadweight veterans as possible this off-season too. He needs to do better with the defense. Thinking that he'll go hard after Dillon (if he goes to free agency).

Yeah we need to go hard on a good defenseman. Can't bring up any young guys like Rafferty/Juolevi with the likes of Stecher/Benn/Fanta. Edmundson/Dillon

Also need to replace Sutter and one of Roussel/Eriksson with guys that can play defense and hit/provide secondary scoring. We have way too many guys who are one dimensional and only play D in our bottom 6.

• Upvote 2

A couple off gaffs on ice every game with different players . Last night’s turning point innocent pass behind our own net goes off our best 4 d man skeet directed to opposing forward turns into fast goal .Our D blunders have been covered up for most part but teams are catching on to weakness . Continuity of operations are important, but to continue down stretch in March with playoffs in sight is extremely unlucky or just poor lackadaisical effort to close out games.....

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why does wanting Babs or Gallant make us dumb?  Doesn’t wanting our team to be better make us fans?  

as i’ve always said, there is no harm in wanting. that doesn’t mean that is the right choice.

we are in a playoff race and will have the same coaches and players till the season’s over. rally the team, don’t show them, you don’t believe in them. save your plans for the team’s future till the off season. this will be another journey for this team. i’m going along for the ride. hopefully they make it but if not, make changes in the summer. its been going on since 1970. 

my love of hockey is never with the fans, but with the players and team. if the players go out and give the game their best, how can anyone expect more. oh we could  say that petey is struggling right now but he is learning he has to play through the extra attention. in the end, he’ll be a better player. quinn still makes mistakes but he is learning. same goes for others too. this team is improving in some areas and next year, will take another step. 

we all want the team to be better but we don’t all advocate that the team acts on all our opinions. 

• Thanks 2

Yeah we need to go hard on a good defenseman. Can't bring up any young guys like Rafferty/Juolevi with the likes of Stecher/Benn/Fanta. Edmundson/Dillon

Also need to replace Sutter and one of Roussel/Eriksson with guys that can play defense and hit/provide secondary scoring. We have way too many guys who are one dimensional and only play D in our bottom 6.

For sure. Benning has his work cut out for him. His FA signings have been pretty lackluster, with Beagle being probably best one.

I'm hoping that he's able to move Sutter, Roussel, Benn, and Eriksson this summer. He's got to be feeling some heat from these signings.

29 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

This market needs to chill on the knee jerk reactions. Seasons not done yet. This team is still very capable of making the playoffs and winning a round. But instead we got a fanbase acting like a bunch of b*****s!

23 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

20 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

No support when things are going south. Just a bunch of know it all’s calling for peoples heads to be fired. Clown ass fanbase. Thrs still solid fans out thr but these clown fans can be overwhelming.

Amen brothers.

Thank Gordie, these knee jerk, reactionary, panicky, fragile people aren't actually in charge of the team :lol: Can you imagine these people in an actual crisis?! :frantic:

:lol:

• Cheers 2