The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 06, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

41 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Jake's defensive game is definitely getting better, but he's still caught on the wrong side of the puck sometimes and whiffs on opposition's passes that he's trying to prevent.  
I actually think that Jake's best games come when he gets moved up to the 2nd and 1st line during the game as opposed to starting on it.  

@EdgarM if you look at the last 5 games (I was too lazy to go further back) you'll see that Jake Virtanen has had MORE ice time then Loui Eriksson in EVERY one of those games.  Loui plays a regular PK shift too.  

Jake's coming along just fine, he's having to be constantly engaged to get his ice time and that's a good thing.  If anyone knows how to use Jake well, it's Green as they go back a long time now to Utica.  Jake has said numerous times that Green has been a big part in him maturing as a person and a player.  

Jakes been getting more ice time since TG has been deploying him with Bo after the game starts. He wasn't before that. 

Jake needed to work on his defense, he has done that and he's even shown he can produce offensively when deployed with the right players. He was producing like a point a game pace and then was put back on the 3rd line. He is a far better checker then LE and is much more engaged when deployed in the top 6. Some players just play well with more ice time. Jake seems like that kind of player. 

So the last couple of years yes Jake needed to learn how to be defensively responsible hence his playing with Sutter last year. He showed this year he can be that "Power Forward" we hoped he would become. So, why is he continuing to get limited ice time and playing on the 3rd line? He has also shown he can produce on the PP yet he has not been given the chance on the #1 PP yet it struggled numerous times this year. 

Boes , Petey and Hughes have been give a chance to work through their learning curves yet Jake seems like he is being punished for what seems like years now I don't get it. 

He looks like he is ready to shine but he is being told to wait for...………………………………………………….Lui? 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Jakes been getting more ice time since TG has been deploying him with Bo after the game starts. He wasn't before that. 

Jake needed to work on his defense, he has done that and he's even shown he can produce offensively when deployed with the right players. He was producing like a point a game pace and then was put back on the 3rd line. He is a far better checker then LE and is much more engaged when deployed in the top 6. Some players just play well with more ice time. Jake seems like that kind of player. 

So the last couple of years yes Jake needed to learn how to be defensively responsible hence his playing with Sutter last year. He showed this year he can be that "Power Forward" we hoped he would become. So, why is he continuing to get limited ice time and playing on the 3rd line? He has also shown he can produce on the PP yet he has not been given the chance on the #1 PP yet it struggled numerous times this year. 

Boes , Petey and Hughes have been give a chance to work through their learning curves yet Jake seems like he is being punished for what seems like years now I don't get it. 

He looks like he is ready to shine but he is being told to wait for...………………………………………………….Lui? 

I agree 100%.  My only hope is that Green doesn’t do damage to any of our young core players with his decisions.  Willie D ruined Tryamkin and definitely hurt Jake’s development.  I think he hurt Bo’s development too.  Now we have Green.  15 more games and then (if no playoffs) an experienced coach 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree 100%.  My only hope is that Green doesn’t do damage to any of our young core players with his decisions.  Willie D ruined Tryamkin and definitely hurt Jake’s development.  I think he hurt Bo’s development too.  Now we have Green.  15 more games and then (if no playoffs) an experienced coach 

I agree he seems to be only playing for his job at this point and player development secondary. Marky has shown in past years he does not do well when he is fatigued. So what does he do? Demko needed to be utilized more as he is supposed to be our future. What does he do with him? 

Petey was getting manhandled and instead of trying to insulate him, he keeps him paired up with Brock. Priority should have went to their development and insulation but they became his bread and butter and he rode that wave for as long as possible. Now he is doing the same with Hughes. Hughes looks like he is playing injured right now. 

MacEwen should have been playing more this year as well but he sat in the pressbox while Lui played alongside Bo for most of the year. 

The motto used to be if you played well, room would be made for you. That all went out the window when he decided Lui fr#$king Ericksson would play regardless of how well our young prospects have been doing.

Can't wait for a new coach who can bring our young prospects to the next level with NHL experience and hopefully playoff experience as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You have to consider how much Jake has improved and that, just perhaps, it's partly DUE to Green...not in spite of him Alf?  

That’s true Deb. I just don’t have the same confidence in Green a lot of Canuck fans do.  IMO we should be 10 points better, and would be with a better coach.  That’s me though.  

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That’s true Deb. I just don’t have the same confidence in Green a lot of Canuck fans do.  IMO we should be 10 points better, and would be with a better coach.  That’s me though.  

The question I guess is "Is our learning coach capable of taking them to that next step to an NHL Championship?". An elementary teacher is not the same as a University professor. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

The question I guess is "Is our learning coach capable of taking them to that next step to an NHL Championship?". An elementary teacher is not the same as a University professor. 

I like your analysis and analogy.  We have a team with two super elite young stars.  We have a really good supporting cast.  Heck Miller is one of the best support players in the league!  Marky was playing Phenomenal.  That kind of team deserves better than a coach who is still learning.  They deserve a great NHL coach.  After the Miller trade and signing Myers JB should have hired Tippet.  Why go all in on your team, but not with the coach?  Made no sense then and even less now.  

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Won't argue he Has a good d game.  

My biggest issue with him is his compete level and the noticable bigger effort I have seen from him in games against at Boston for example.

If his game slowly tailed off since he got here that would be one thing but it dropped right away.  

He has his attributes but I do no respect LE as a very highly paid professional athlete. 

personally I think the effort level is there, you can't play a solid defensive game with no effort. But its also very clear the mans hands/reaction time are shot, like long time gone shot. 

The stats don't lie, he does contribute to offence by reducing shots and allowing Horvat and Pearson to spend more time in the o-zone, on most nights anyway. 

• Cheers 2

where was this fracking team 4 games ago!!! ffs....they wouldn't be in the mess they are in if they had played like this on that road trip......they still need 9 more wins to guarantee themselves a playoff berth....and hey TG....see what Zac Mac can do ....dickhead coach....still playing LE....

• Haha 2
  • Wat 4

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

Has edler ever been in a fight.  If so I don't remember it.

But if he ever lost it he'd be scary 

I don’t think he has either. He got a 5 minute boarding I think and a suspension one time. His game was effected by it for a long time.

When he’s hitting he’s one of the beat in the game. I honesty just think he doesn’t want to hurt anyone. 

I agree 100% if he did get into a fight one day. It wouldn’t be just a fight it would be Edler snapping. And I wouldn’t wanna be the guy on the other end lol

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

You have to consider how much Jake has improved and that, just perhaps, it's partly DUE to Green...not in spite of him Alf?  

It is easier to just criticize others constantly.

Kind of like being a politician in the opposition. Those people never actually do anything. They just sit there and criticize and say how things should be. Easy.

But actually having to make decisions is much tougher.  Green makes decisions based on his best available knowledge and experience. For the most part, Green has done a good job.

But us passionate fans are certainly the "opposition"...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

You two should get a room ha ha.   If TG gets replaced I wonder how long the next coach will get before complaints about lines and how he's ruined so and so's development starts up.   My guess is around five games for some of it - twenty games for the rest and that FIRE Babcock (Ha ha) threads will pop up after every loss maybe half a season in. 

As an aside wonder how patient fans will be with McEwen if he makes in full-time like Gaudette did, and isn't lights out ... fans will turn on him.   

Maybe we win the cup this season?  Then Green can stay :towel:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

You two should get a room ha ha.   If TG gets replaced I wonder how long the next coach will get before complaints about lines and how he's ruined so and so's development starts up.   My guess is around five games for some of it - twenty games for the rest and that FIRE Babcock (Ha ha) threads will pop up after every loss maybe half a season in. 

As an aside wonder how patient fans will be with McEwen if he makes in full-time like Gaudette did, and isn't lights out ... fans will turn on him.   

"Ruined so and so's development", what are you talking about? News Flash! NHL coaches come and go and that includes some pretty good ones too. Maybe you should talk about "getting a room" with TG with your obvious love and attachment towards him. :lol:

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1

35 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I don’t think he has either. He got a 5 minute boarding I think and a suspension one time. His game was effected by it for a long time.

When he’s hitting he’s one of the beat in the game. I honesty just think he doesn’t want to hurt anyone. 

I agree 100% if he did get into a fight one day. It wouldn’t be just a fight it would be Edler snapping. And I wouldn’t wanna be the guy on the other end lol

Ohlund was even scarier ... hit like Mack truck and did ok fighting Iginla (didn't seem like he we trying that hard but still hung in there - Iginla got some huge body blows in and he didn't flinch) ... remember the first year in TB he was regularly on the high-light reel destroying someone with a crushing hit...that division took some time to adjust.   Edler can hit really hard too ... just doesn't do it as often 

• Cheers 3

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I was thinking this last night. I even saw someone say he should be on the first PP haha. It won’t take long and the novelty will wear off and fans be either dissing Mac or something along the lines of Green ruined his development haha 

Edited by Devron44
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe we win the cup this season?  Then Green can stay :towel:

Well...depends if we don't win another one within a few years, otherwise people will constantly be questioning if he's good enough and saying it was just a fluke etc.

Coaches get to influence the game ..  two thing TG does well is get his players ready to play with effort - the other is influence the game the best he can at home...one of the best  records ...  I don't think we have the players right now to do much better then we have ..and now we have to do it without Markstrom and BB.  Adding TT was a bandaid, other teams added too)...

• Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

"Ruined so and so's development", what are you talking about? News Flash! NHL coaches come and go and that includes some pretty good ones too. Maybe you should talk about "getting a room" with TG with your obvious love and attachment towards him. :lol:

OR maybe LE and TG should share a room on the road - they are obviously pals.   And probably play vids and smoke a bong and laugh and watch bloopers of JVs giveaways etc.  Because they undeniably l the problem with this team given how much time is spent complaining about it.  Has nothing to do with the rosters age, or the actual roster.  Have to go now, across the hall to JB's.  Poker night.  Markstroms agent is coming - we plan to let him win. 

• Haha 3
  • Wat 1