The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks VS Columbus March 8 (We were so excited about playing Columbus no one made a GDT thread edition)

Rate this topic

CaptKirk888

44 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Have any of our July 1 UFA signings been good?  They all kind of are goof ups, no? 

Well, Vrbata, Vanek, Miller was good UFA signing,I would add Nilsson as good as well. .

Of course, Lui, Gagne was afwul. Burmistrov was a mistake

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, 6string said:

Are you joking when you comment on foriegn language broadcasts from the internet?

I have been online NHL for about 10 to 12 years and have had a choice between home or away broadcast teams...

@Alflives is just old (like me), but he doesn't realize you can do that on the intra web.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Deets said:

Dude scored 30 goals for us the first year, and we didn't have to trade anyone for him.

However he floated around both years, and then couldn't score in the second year while refusing to put in a remotely acceptable effort.  He then decided to whine about being moved off the top line despite him choosing to not play like an NHLer in either end of the rink.  He was an absolute cancer and a terrible example for young players.  Benning should have suspended him without pay after his trade deadline stunt.

• Wat 1

Fun times.

We're in the fight for the playoffs. We are a better team than we were predicted to be this year.

Coach Green has heard that he isn't polling well on Melmac and has started to show some emotion and growth. The veterans are starting to pull their knickers up and if the stars are aligned we will be healthy going into the post season.

Yep, it's a beautiful day in BC.

Go Nucks.

3 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

$30 goals scorer?

Yes,he's dissapeared after the first year, but still...

Pouted like a little boy after being taken off the Sedin line.  Granted he had SOME legitimate beef (given that he did score 30+ goals with them the season before) and being replaced by Sutter (a center?).  Vrbata worked well with Bonino when he wasn't with the Sedins but that option obviously wasn't available (as the later was essentially traded from Sutter).  Regardless of justification; he should've acted like a professional and sucked it up.  I think his father chimed in and said the same thing about he should be a professional about it.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Pouted like a little boy after being taken off the Sedin line.  Granted he had SOME legitimate beef (given that he did score 30+ goals with them the season before) and being replaced by Sutter (a center?).  Vrbata worked well with Bonino when he wasn't with the Sedins but that option obviously wasn't available (as the later was essentially traded from Sutter).  Regardless of justification; he should've acted like a professional and sucked it up.  I think his father chimed in and said the same thing about he should be a professional about it.

Sounds like Loui, less all the goals.  

12 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

However he floated around both years, and then couldn't score in the second year while refusing to put in a remotely acceptable effort.  He then decided to whine about being moved off the top line despite him choosing to not play like an NHLer in either end of the rink.  He was an absolute cancer and a terrible example for young players.  Benning should have suspended him without pay after his trade deadline stunt.

Vrbata had other suiters as a UFA, surely he was targeted by us to play with the twins and was told that prior to signing. He plays with them and does well. Then, the next year we try do to things differently. Any person with half a brain saw it wasn't working but also knew to raise his trade value all we had to do was put him back with the Twins to up his value then deal him for that thing we never became accustom to as a Canucks fan during the rebuild....an ASSET like a pick or prospect that could eventually turn into something for us say now?

Sure he pouted, but like I said before he was promised to play with the Sedins and he produced when he was with them. Also, blame the GM for giving him the deal and the NTC protection that went along with it that allowed the "TDL STUNT" you are referring to. I know what your saying, but the player just used what was given to him by the team in his contract.

My theory almost nobody should be gifted a NMC or Full NTC. It hampers every team every summer. But it is the GM's who continue to do this and its the Agents who demand this and play the other 30 NHL GM's against each other during negotiations.

Its all flawed, go the NFL route, contracts with only certain guarantees. Player decides to pull a LoserSSon and he gets cut after 1 year, then can sign for league min with another team to try for a fresh start. Instead, the NHL allows these long term deals with guaranteed $ and NMC/NTC security. Remove that and lower the length of contracts to 5 years max. Then also make players have 10 pro years of service before they can become a UFA with no voiding a full year like this College loop hole