The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks VS Columbus March 8 (We were so excited about playing Columbus no one made a GDT thread edition)

Rate this topic

CaptKirk888

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

“We’re going to be ready to go tonight... Last game was a good idea for what we have to do to be able to win.” - Horvat 

Periods two and three were what the team needed to do to win.  If we repeat period one, and their goalie is even half decent, I don’t like our chances.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

You’re saying some of us (me for sure) are fanatical, especially after losses?  

Well I have been “known” to throw the odd “passionate” quotes out as well 

this is a must win game tonight

if we don’t come out and win after a big win last game then frankly it will get ugly 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

Well I have been “known” to throw the odd “passionate” quotes out as well 

this is a must win game tonight

if we don’t come out and win after a big win last game then frankly it will get ugly 

I don’t see being critical of our team/coach as ugly.  That’s the fanatic part.  IMO, it’s the insulting one another that’s ugly.  

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 2

Good and necessary win last game.

Here is another MUST win. Maybe MacEwen will be THE surprise playoff player, maybe he gets more than 7 minutes of icetime tonight.

This might the last "easy" game the Canucks have, if any at this time can be said to be easy. After this game the rest of the month is filled with back to backs and little practice or recovery time. 12 games in 20 days.

Columbus is doing great for such a young team with so many injuries and in a very tough division.

If tonight is like last night Demko will have to on top of his game, Columbus vastly dominated Edmonton for two periods and Calgary the game before.

The Canucks should feel much more relaxed as a team,

As Demko goes so goes the game.

Edited by Lazurus
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

Columbus will be grumpy on this back to back, Koskinen slammed the door shut on them yesterday so I hope the hockey gods don’t even up the bounces for them tonight 

Demko has to play better than their goalie.  If he does we win.  If he doesn’t we lose.  

• Upvote 2

LoserSSon does NOT make the right play every time...no player does. He has taken bad penalties leading to demoralizing PP goals against, turned it over in his own end etc. The guy is a 1.5m player, problem is he makes 4x that. He needs to go this off season along with Sven's cap hit and possibly Sutter's too.

That gives us cap room to make signings that will positively help our team next season. Get creative Jimbo, and be prepared to give up picks/prospects to dump to bad contracts you signed that we need the relief from.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

I don’t follow Columbus but I remember a couple years ago they came into town and physically dominated the Canucks for  full 60 minutes. The Canucks were never in that game. I thought Columbus was on their way to contention. Canucks are not the same team but then CBJ aren’t either.

Just now, Lazurus said:

Good and necessary win last game.

Here is another MUST win. Maybe MacEwen will be THE surprise playoff player, maybe he gets more than 7 minutes of icetime tonight.

This might the last "easy" game the Canucks have, if any at this time can be said to be easy. After this the rest of the month is filled with back to backs and little practice or recovery time. 12 games in 20 days.

Columbus is doing great for such a young team with so many injuries and in a very tough division.

If tonight is like last night Demko will have to on top of his game, Columbus vastly dominated Edmonton for two periods and Calgary the game before.

The Canucks should feel much more relaxed as a team,

As Demko goes so goes the game.

Our guys have to be willing to play hard nosed hockey.  Torts will demand his guys do.  If we don’t at least match that physicality we will get run out of our own barn.  I sure wish we were the team that initiated the physical play, and not always the team that retaliates.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I don’t see being critical of our team/coach as ugly.  That’s the fanatic part.  IMO, it’s the insulting one another that’s ugly.  

I totally agree with you there Alf 

that is exactly my issue. It’s a forum. A forum is for opinions. Some opinions differ. What irritates me is people that only attack vs debate respectfully

as much as @canuck73_3 disagrees with me, he will not attack and usually back up his counterpoints (he is usually wrong) but still I welcome that interaction 

I truly do believe that Green is not the long term solution for this roster, perhaps of a complete rebuild team but we are past that and need to take the next step 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Some interesting stats I found: (didn't think it warranted it's own thread)

Player. ..... total time on ice ..... points per 100 mins on ice

Toffoli.     141 mins.     5.7 pts/100

Miller.       1339.        5.3

Pettersson.   1220.     5.2

Gaudette.     709.       4.5

Boeser.           1041.       4.3

Pearson.        1103.    4.1

Virtanen.        876.      4.1

Horvat.         1320.      3.9

Ferland.        137.     3.6

Hughes.      1436.       3.6

Leivo.           540.      3.5

MacEwen.     146.       3.4

Roussel.         467.     2.8

Sutter.          635.       2.7

Eriksson.      596.      2.2

Motte.          418.      1.9

Beagle.         691.      1.2

Schaller.       596.       1.0

Reinforces what a master stroke it was JB getting Miller!!

Edited by Googlie
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I totally agree with you there Alf 

that is exactly my issue. It’s a forum. A forum is for opinions. Some opinions differ. What irritates me is people that only attack vs debate respectfully

as much as @canuck73_3 disagrees with me, he will not attack and usually back up his counterpoints (he is usually wrong) but still I welcome that interaction 

I truly do believe that Green is not the long term solution for this roster, perhaps of a complete rebuild team but we are past that and need to take the next step 

100% agree.  JB basically declared the rebuild over last summer when he traded for Miller and signed Myers.  He’s moved picks and prospects to make the team better.  I don’t understand why he doesn’t give that roster the best coach too? 

• Upvote 2