Sign in to follow this  
Lazurus

Gas Price Gouging in BC!!!!

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

WTF.

We are paying on average 1.30 cents a liter, in Toronto they are under 0.98 cents, Alberta is cheaper and even in Washington state with the exchange they are 0.96 cents a liter Canadian funds. That is over $40 dollars a tank for 100 a litre fill up.

 

Does the BC government need more revenue so they are letting the gas companies gouge us again?

 

Is it because we are distracted by the Corona virus news, why is this gouging not news worthy?

Edited by Lazurus
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's 8 topics on this.  It comes down to various levels of provincial and municipal taxation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

WTF.

We are paying on average 1.30 cents a liter, in Toronto they are under 0.98 cents, Alberta is cheaper and even in Washington state with the exchange they are 0.96 cents a liter Canadian funds. That is over $40 dollars a tank for 100 a litre fill up.

 

Does the BC government need more revenue so they are letting the gas companies gouge us again?

 

Is it because we are distracted by the Corona virus news, why is this gouging not news worthy?

Actually it's 88.9 in Calgary. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw any sources for the gouging?

Also why is this about BC but then you say you're in Toronto. 

I'm confused. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

WTF.

We are paying on average 1.30 cents a liter, in Toronto they are under 0.98 cents, Alberta is cheaper and even in Washington state with the exchange they are 0.96 cents a liter Canadian funds. That is over $40 dollars a tank for 100 a litre fill up.

 

Does the BC government need more revenue so they are letting the gas companies gouge us again?

 

Is it because we are distracted by the Corona virus news, why is this gouging not news worthy?

Check how much urban transit tax and carbon tax you are paying on your $1.30 gas. No mistake that the NDP wouldn’t include taxation into their review of retail gas pricing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

There's 8 topics on this.  It comes down to various levels of provincial and municipal taxation.

I am not disagreeing with you Hippy

But, I have always wonder about this......I would love to hear you comments on it.....

 

So, January first...……….I have a $100.00...……..I spend it and it has 12% tax, so the store I spent it in, takes in my $100.00, pays for the product, his overhead and wages.

Then on January 15th, all the parties, that collected that first $100.00 of mine, again adds money to what they collected from the store who collected it from me, and spends it themselves, again paying the 12% tax, this goes on the whole year...….in effect, making the whole $100.00 spent multiple times.

 

Now through the whole event, for the whole year, tax was collected multiple times, and in effect, the whole $100.00 was paid in tax...………….

 

So how, was there any lost tax revenue? When the whole amount was used up in taxes, over the year?

 

IMO, the only time money is not taxed, is when it is saved, as in a savings account, where it just sits

 

So where does my opinion fail?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a hybrid or an electric?

One point that was brought up about fuel taxes. What happens when people go more for electric and less people buy gas? That's less money going into tax revenue both federal and provincial. That's less money that goes into infrastructure or transit. 

Even if you get a horse, you'll save money on gas, but unless you have a stable, the maintenance and vet fees you'll get gouged in as well. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am not disagreeing with you Hippy

But, I have always wonder about this......I would love to hear you comments on it.....

 

So, January first...……….I have a $100.00...……..I spend it and it has 12% tax, so the store I spent it in, takes in my $100.00, pays for the product, his overhead and wages.

Then on January 15th, all the parties, that collected that first $100.00 of mine, again adds money to what they collected from the store who collected it from me, and spends it themselves, again paying the 12% tax, this goes on the whole year...….in effect, making the whole $100.00 spent multiple times.

 

Now through the whole event, for the whole year, tax was collected multiple times, and in effect, the whole $100.00 was paid in tax...………….

 

So how, was there any lost tax revenue? When the whole amount was used up in taxes, over the year?

 

IMO, the only time money is not taxed, is when it is saved, as in a savings account, where it just sits

 

So where does my opinion fail?

Love this. Let us geek out....

 

First off, BC has a lot of hidden tax.

 

Not sure if you hinted at this or not but.....

 

GST and PST are set up to be taxed at the end of the value chain so....in theory no double taxation.

 

There are instances of gross double taxation.

 

Car sales for one.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Get a hybrid or an electric?

One point that was brought up about fuel taxes. What happens when people go more for electric and less people buy gas? That's less money going into tax revenue both federal and provincial. That's less money that goes into infrastructure or transit. 

Even if you get a horse, you'll save money on gas, but unless you have a stable, the maintenance and vet fees you'll get gouged in as well. 

 

The money people save on gas, will be spent in other places...……….taxes will still be collected

 

Don't think for a second the Government won't get their taxes...…..see above

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

WTF.

We are paying on average 1.30 cents a liter, in Toronto they are under 0.98 cents, Alberta is cheaper and even in Washington state with the exchange they are 0.96 cents a liter Canadian funds. That is over $40 dollars a tank for 100 a litre fill up.

 

Does the BC government need more revenue so they are letting the gas companies gouge us again?

 

Is it because we are distracted by the Corona virus news, why is this gouging not news worthy?

I havent seen it under 1.30 for many months in coquitlam.. 1.36 today

 

 

Ruthless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

Love this. Let us geek out....

 

First off, BC has a lot of hidden tax.

 

Not sure if you hinted at this or not but.....

 

GST and PST are set up to be taxed at the end of the value chain so....in theory no double taxation.

 

There are instances of gross double taxation.

 

Car sales for one.

 

 

 

 

I am just saying as that $100.00 changes hands multiple times throughout the year, taxes will be collected each time aka GST and PST

 

But yes, double taxation is how it works on all things...…….every time a dollar is spent..taxes are collected...….

 

Even the illegal underground economy will eventually surface and have to end up paying taxes somewhere...……..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chicken. said:

I havent seen it under 1.30 for many months in coquitlam.. 1.36 today

 

 

Ruthless

It was a $1.18.9 in Nanaimo last week...………….back up to $1.39.9 this week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saudi Arabia declares price war with OPEC.

In BC gas jumps to $2.00 per litre!

 

BTW, I have a picture from 2011 from London.

Back then gas there was 1.37 per litre.

Now its 1.238 per litre. That's in pounds. 

That's about $2.13 per litre Canadian. 

 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lazurus said:

WTF.

We are paying on average 1.30 cents a liter, in Toronto they are under 0.98 cents, Alberta is cheaper and even in Washington state with the exchange they are 0.96 cents a liter Canadian funds. That is over $40 dollars a tank for 100 a litre fill up.

 

Does the BC government need more revenue so they are letting the gas companies gouge us again?

 

Is it because we are distracted by the Corona virus news, why is this gouging not news worthy?

BC government took the tolls off the bridges.  They need to make up that lost revenue in other ways.  Socialism at its worst. 

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Saudi Arabia declares price war with OPEC.

In BC gas jumps to $2.00 per litre!

 

BTW, I have a picture from 2011 from London.

Back then gas there was 1.37 per litre.

Now its 1.238 per litre. That's in pounds. 

That's about $2.13 per litre Canadian. 

 

How much oil do the brits have local?  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

BTW, I have a picture from 2011 from London.

Back then gas there was 1.37 per litre.

Now its 1.238 per litre. That's in pounds. 

That's about $2.13 per litre Canadian. 

I have family in the Netherlands.  They laugh at us complaining about our gas prices.  Currently they are paying 1.90 euros per litre which is close to $3.00.

 

2 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Is it because we are distracted by the Corona virus news, why is this gouging not news worthy?

More like, it's just not news.  There has always been a gap and the more that the different levels of government keep layering on more taxes, the gap will grow.  Nothing new.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People look at the world wide glut.

There is an over supply.

 

The last time these prices were like this is was determined the it was "what the market will bear" pricing and nothing to do with competition.

 

Only in BC has the price gone up as it plummets every where else. Hidden taxes or not it was cheaper not a month ago when supplies were normal, now there is too much and the prices rise?

 

And all the gas stations have the same price? Isn't there something called collusion or some anti competition or price fixing laws?           

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Lack of refinery space and no new gas stations or competition in the lowermainland.selling product to the states and then they sell it to the world and back to us.

Edited by Violator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.