The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gas Price Gouging in BC!!!!

Lazurus

On 3/18/2020 at 6:27 PM, gurn said:

Watch for the gas stations to start with " We have to charge this much or there would not be enough markup to actually earn a living, or pay to refine the oil in the first place."

Nope...it would appear your province just loves taxes. This is with the Ottawa imposed carbon tax. 

FB_IMG_1584926783891.jpg

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Nope...it would appear your province just loves taxes. This is with the Ottawa imposed carbon tax. 

FB_IMG_1584926783891.jpg

Even with taxes, the median average around the province should be 87 cents a litre.  This is just gouging.  They did a story on it earlier with the gas buddy knob

• 2 weeks later...

So, once again there is a mysterious reason the gas companies and retailers get to make more profit by taking advantage of the COVID virus panic.

50 cents a litre in Edmonton, 94 cents a litre in Vancouver and most of BC, except Merritt where it was 53 cents a litre for a short while.

It isn't that it is costing us less than the 1.50 a litre we are used to, it is the false information used.

Even the BC Government utilities website blatantly gives false information, it states Edmonton is paying over 60+ cent a litre on one page and the next it shows 40+ cents.

33 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

So, once again there is a mysterious reason the gas companies and retailers get to make more profit by taking advantage of the COVID virus panic.

50 cents a litre in Edmonton, 94 cents a litre in Vancouver and most of BC, except Merritt where it was 53 cents a litre for a short while.

It isn't that it is costing us less than the 1.50 a litre we are used to, it is the false information used.

Even the BC Government utilities website blatantly gives false information, it states Edmonton is paying over 60+ cent a litre on one page and the next it shows 40+ cents.

Again, 20+ cents in municipal taxes we don't see anywhere else.  IN some parts of Vancouver gas dipped below 90 cents a litre, here in the Okanagan it is 90 cents a litre.  There is no excuse for this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Again, 20+ cents in municipal taxes we don't see anywhere else.  IN some parts of Vancouver gas dipped below 90 cents a litre, here in the Okanagan it is 90 cents a litre.  There is no excuse for this.

Price gouging. I can see the gov wanting it high, more tax revenue.

But if there is to be a recovery prices will have to drop because so many will not have extra money.

Driving in BC is not just a privilege, because of super high housing costs and the possibility of another round of infections it will be a necessity.

This goes back to Campbell as premier, he took the approach after he was let off the hook for impaired driving causing an accident, that driving was a luxury that should be heavily taxed.

He screwed so many people with his ideas, he added the Government's entire Motor Vehicle Branch into ICBC's expenses, a total loss to ICBC to administer. Used to be the government did licenses, tests and more at government expense, now ICBC just raises rates to pay for all the Motor Vehicle branch responsibilities, hidden taxation. Under Campbell there is a lot of that, Hydro, Gas, a lot of government stuff.

• Vintage 3

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Literally zero excuse for that.

Prices in areas as high as when oil was trading above $110 a barrel

Been going on for years.

Excuse one- "Our price is high because this is gas bought at the old price, when we sell this the next batch will cost less"

Excuse two-"Transportation costs"

Excuse three -" Too many gas stations in Powell River, thus no single station is selling enough to be able to buy more and thus cheaper gas"

Decades of hearing crap from a bunch of stations, that strangely always sell their gas for the exact same price as their competitors. I guess the self serve station has the exact same overhead as the station that has someone pump gas for us.? :angry:

i've been paying 87.9 the past 2 weeks or so

if that is me being gouged ... i'll take it

could fill up my totally empty van gas tank for $50

have not done that in years

and now there is no where to go

so my gas consumption is way down

dammit

i want to benefit from these low prices :emot-parrot:

with low gas prices

and little to spend money on

i'm just stacking the cash

money is not very fun or helpful

when you cannot use it anywhere

Edited by coastal.view
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

First time i ever gassed up it was 39.9/L, most expensive was around 1.77L and currently at 94.9/L.  I assume this time next year gas will 2.00/L to offset the 'break' they gave us during the pandemic.  

• Vintage 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2020 at 3:34 AM, coastal.view said:

i've been paying 87.9 the past 2 weeks or so

if that is me being gouged ... i'll take it

could fill up my totally empty van gas tank for $50

have not done that in years

and now there is no where to go

so my gas consumption is way down

dammit

i want to benefit from these low prices :emot-parrot:

with low gas prices

and little to spend money on

i'm just stacking the cash

money is not very fun or helpful

when you cannot use it anywhere

Gouging is a comparison to other jurisdictions or the entire North American continent.

We have been paying so much more for so long that being charged 30 cents a liter more than other places seems like a low price, only lower than the super high prices we are used to, not on par with the world.

54.9 Edmonton - 94.9 Vancouver - $1.37 a US gallon in Washington State = 1.37/3.78 = 36.2 cents a liter US, .50 cents a liter CDN.

AND

there is only a 20 cent a liter tax difference between Alberta and BC.

There is supposed to be a law about price gouging. What else can it be called?

3 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Gouging is a comparison to other jurisdictions or the entire North American continent.

We have been paying so much more for so long that being charged 30 cents a liter more than other places seems like a low price, only lower than the super high prices we are used to, not on par with the world.

54.9 Edmonton - 94.9 Vancouver - $1.37 a US gallon in Washington State = 1.37/3.78 = 36.2 cents a liter US, .50 cents a liter CDN.

AND

there is only a 20 cent a liter tax difference between Alberta and BC.

There is supposed to be a law about price gouging. What else can it be called?

Hard to say, but we're now past week 3 or so with prices in Penticton and kelowna being higher than the GVRD with their additional fuel taxes.  Prices have not budged at all and its utter crap.  Oil trading at a negative, refineries working overtime to get rid of the glut of oil towards petrol/fuel and still prices are not dropping.  But the government needs their tax money so they're not looking in to anything

• Upvote 1