The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Columbus Blue Jackets at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 08, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Update

CGY:  79 pts 12GR: NYI, WPG, NYR, NYI, NJD, TB, SJS, ANA, VAN, WPG, VGK, EDM
VAN: 76pts 14GR: NYI, ARI, COL, WPG, TB, ANA,LAK, VGK, SJS, CGY,ANA,DAL, ARI, VGK
NSH: 76pts 14GR:  MTL, TOR, CBJ, MIN,COL,PHI, CHI, WPG,LAK,ARI, COL, MTL, PHI, MIN
WPG: 76pts 13GR: ARI, EDM, CGY, VAN, FLA, MIN, DAL,NSH,COL, VGK, CGY, COL, ARI
ARI: 74pts 13GR: WPG, VAN, NYR, DAL, VGK, DET,LAK, VGK,NSH, SJS, COL, VAN, WPG
MIN: 77pts 13GR:  ANA, VGK, PHI, NSH, CHI, CHI, WPG, COL, NJD, BUF, STL, NYI, WSH, NSH

ARI =  2 WPG, 1 NSH, 2 VAN:  Most points they can get= 12pts,OTL= 6pts
NSH= 2 MIN, 1 WPG, 1 ARI: Most pts they can get= 8pts, OTL= 4pts
WPG= 2 ARI, 2 CGY, 1 VAN: Most pts they can get= 10pts, OTL= 5pts
MIN= 2 NSH, 1 WPG: Most pts they can get= 6pts, OTL= 3pts
CGY=  2 WPG, 1 VAN: Most pts they can get= 6pts, OTL= 3pts
VAN = 2 ARI, 1WPG, 1 CGY: Most pts they can get= 8pts, OTL= 4pts

ARI MAX = 84pts, ARI MID = 80pts, ARI LOW=74pts GR= 7
CGY MAX= 85pts, CGY MID = 82pts, CGY LOW= 79pts GR= 9
NSH MAX= 82pts, NSH MID= 78pts, NSH LOW= 76pts GR= 11
WPG MAX= 86pts, WPG MID= 81pts, WPG LOW= 76pts GR= 9
MIN MAX= 83pts, MIN MID= 80pts, MIN LOW= 77pts GR= 10
VAN MAX= 84pts, VAN MIN= 79pts, Van Low= 76pts GR= 10

Current Standings:

CGY- 79 points- 12GR * playoff spot

MIN- 77 points- 13GR * playoff spot

VAN- 76 points- 14GR * playoff spot

NSH- 76 Points- 14GR

WPG- 76 points- 13GR

ARI- 74Points- 13GR

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Yes I hope they make the playoffs, but consider how much better than they can be next year from this year together and building from it ( regardless of whether they make the playoffs or not ).

Yes, Canucks will be better next year, but so will most of the teams in Pacific. And it will be as tough to make playoffs next year.

But it is not a point though. Point is Canucks had a great opportunity this year to be one of the three top teams in the division, and, for whatever reason, they've missed that opportunity.

And, at this point even a wild card spot looks very doubtful. Painful to watch .

3 hours ago, DarkGhost said:

I was at the game and...well it was pretty sad to watch. 

- Way too many of our players are looking to force passes when they should be trying to get shots on net. There were literally a dozen chances that turned to nothing with a turnover.

- Hitting the net seems like climbing Everest for these guys. So many shots off the mark and brutal tip in attempts. 
- Horvat’s line has been playing like garbage for weeks and they all look like offence will never come from there again. Get Loui the F off this line. 
- So many lazy plays resulting in turnovers it was cringe to watch. 5 or 6 times a period it seemed like a forward would rush through the middle with the puck only to turn it over. Looked like a rookie playing NHL 2020 on All Star thinking they can just skate through 5 guys to score. 

Overall...the Canucks didn’t look like a team hungry for the playoffs. Unfocused and apathetic were two words id use to describe their play for most of the game. 0 urgency until it was too late. 

At some point this has to fall at the feet of coaches. Way too many times this season we’ve watched the Canucks not be “ready” for a game. Green doesn’t seem to be able to get these guys engaged when they need to the most. 

Can't agree more. After big wins like against Boston or Colorado Canucks can't focus on the next game. Maybe they spent too much emotions on so called "big games"?

Then it is coach Green job to make sure the team is ready for the next one.

• Cheers 1

So in summation after yet another loss:

1.  It's the coaching

2. Bo isn't a good captain

3. FIRE GREEN

4. Bo doesn't have enough "fire in his belly"

5. Our playoff hopes are dead

6. Oh well at least we keep our first.

7.  Crying meme's

8. Markstrom would have won etc.

9. Refs refs refs

10.  Babs is on his way (Ok that's for Alf). 

About right?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol shouldn't the last 6 games already showed the teams true colors? It's relatively easy mtl ott cbs x2 ari we ended up 1-4 in those games against teams we should beat and 1-1 in 50/50 games tor and col... the compete level in those easy game were questionable.. either shows up for 50mins... or 10mins.. never a 60 min effort 

Yeah well that’s in the past, there are still games left.  Other guys in the lineup need to step up.  My expectations for this team at the beginning of the year was to make the playoffs, that’s it.

• Upvote 1

Hindsight is 20/20.

Who knew Canucks would crap the bed without Markstrom?  In limited starts, Demko appeared to be able to at least go 50/50 the rest of the way.  Life doesn't always happen the way we predict. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

All good we get our 1st pick if we miss out.

Should of dealt Tanev for a B+ prospect D-man and a 2nd sometime this year or last off-season.  Could of gave Rafferty and others some reps.

Use Madden to dump Sutter to New Jersey or Ottawa etc for a 3rd and a depth center

Don't trade for Toffoli

Use 4th/5th/6th/7th rd picks for depth pieces to help the playoff push if need be,  ie Simmonds, Ennis, Grant 

Improve Utica depth for Calder run

Sign Marky, save money for Hughes, Boeser and Petey, wait for Loui to ride off into the sunset.  

2020 draft results:

Lafreniere or no first and playoffs with a young group 

two 2nds

two 3rds

comedy gold!

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

I’m not the one to defend Willie D here, but he did make the playoffs with the an aging core and no real superstars like Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat (in his prime), and Miller.

True, we just gotta wait and see what happens

10 minutes ago, BPA said:

Hindsight is 20/20.

Who knew Canucks would crap the bed without Markstrom?  In limited starts, Demko appeared to be able to at least go 50/50 the rest of the way.  Life doesn't always happen the way we predict. 

It’s different pressures when there’s no question you’re the starter vs backup.  Look no further than it LOOKED like Lack’s numbers were better than Miller’s.  Then look what happened when Lack becomes the clear starter on another team.  Marky WAS carrying the team earlier so it’s no surprise to me especially since Demko is essentially still a rookie.  At. Least, that’s how I look at it.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

It’s different pressures when there’s no question you’re the starter vs backup.  Look no further than it LOOKED like Lack’s numbers were better than Miller’s.  Then look what happened when Lack becomes the clear starter on another team.  Marky WAS carrying the team earlier so it’s no surprise to me especially since Demko is essentially still a rookie.

Not laying all the blame on Demko.  Even the scoring has dried up.  Getting 6 goals in one game is great.  Getting only 1 measly goal next game is not.

I like the current 3rd line with Big Mac.  1st line always looks dangerous.   2nd line is meh.  4th is just hope we don't get scored on.

And the defense pairing is a concern too.  The weak links (imo) are Stecher and Fantenberg.  Benn included when he plays.

Add Baumgartner to the list of complaints.  I prefer an aggressive defense instead of the collapsing box that we have been seeing. 

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Gaudette has more points than Pettersson and Horvat in their last 16 games, without all the powerplay time. 

Horvat has 0 even strength goals and a measly 4 even-strength points in his last 16. 

Hit count?

41 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Gaudette has more points than Pettersson and Horvat in their last 16 games, without all the powerplay time. 

Horvat has 0 even strength goals and a measly 4 even-strength points in his last 16. 

Give Gaud some scoring wingers and Sedin-like gravy and he’ll probably look even more like a scoring centre. 
Does he have a place on the roster long term? I don’t know. 

27 minutes ago, BPA said:

Hindsight is 20/20.

Most hockey people, I assume. 
The same would be said for EP. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Been all through this a couple months back.  We chase the game all over the ice, because we are too far apart in the ozone and neutral zone.  Our systems spread us out, so there is little to no support.  Top off these junior level systems with no passion to play hard nosed, and we only win when our goalie out plays their goalie.  For three months (even started when we were winning games) I’ve been saying that Green should be replaced.  IMO We now have a good team, and would be 10 points better with better coaching.  

meh - sorry - that's a one-liner at best  = literally nothing of substance there.  no + for you.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I can hear the clock ticking on Green's parking spot. 

If JB really wants a jump, and to try add energy and to try and make the playoffs, now is the time to make a change. 

The team doesn't seem to be playing for Mr Greener. Probably a nice enough guy but not getting the job done. 

Malholtra and our goalie guru are the only coaches cutting the mustard.

I don't know what to make of the situation.

I was pro Green throughout this season. Even now, you look at yesterday's game. 2 posts and a cross bar. Score could have been 4-2 and perhaps even an empty netter to make it 5-2. At that point, everyone would be happy and already looking forward to potential first round matchups.

Even during the losing strech, we were getting some really unlucky bounces. As a long time Canuck fan, I've seen my fair share of bad "puck luck" but not in a series of games like this. Stecher alone was responsible for like 4-5 bad bounce goals against. 

However, I am curious whether Green is taking the right approach in being calm and relaxed throughout the entire season.

If we miss the playoffs by 2-3 pts or even 1 point, I would look back at all the no shows against the bottom tier teams this season where the team didn't come out with jump.

That I believe is on Green. (As well as the players) . Maybe this will be a big learning point for him this year and next year, every game will matter. 

For the first time in a long time, we've seen Canucks pull off victories in games that they should have lost.  I took this as a sign that this team has moved forward in their abilities as the old mantra of "good teams find ways to win even when they shouldn't" .  Perhaps the young core is too immature still to realize every game matters and missing the playoffs this year despite all the talent will help them take a step forward next season. Missing the playoffs (if we miss) this season however is on Green.

This is the same team that spanked the Bruins 9-3. This is the same team that beat the Pens 4-1.  When this team gets up for games, they can run with any team in the league.

The team is Jeckyl and Hyde. 

My hope is that the Canucks play "playoff" hockey for the rest of the season and let the chips fall where they may.

They then should realize that they need to play with that same intensity and drive the entire 82 games next season. 

I am in favor of Green coming back next season but after 3-5 losses against lower tiered teams where our guys don't show up, I would then propose a coaching change. So basically a super short leash next season. If we lose to lower tiered teams but play inspired hockey and ice is tiled in our favor but lose due to sheer bad luck or a goalie standing on his head, I would not count those. I just don't want the no show efforts because this team is not yet good enough to make the playoffs with that mentality.