The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Columbus Blue Jackets at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 08, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Everyone still want to trade Boeser?

or do we sign Toffoli and put him with Bo and then Brock back on the top line.

or we can watch Bo continue to struggle to generate offence next year too.

trade Boeser trade Boeser :frantic::frantic:

Sure, trade Boeser for Brady Tkachuk.

4 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I think what's happening with BB is when he broke into the league his while reputation surrounded his shot.  For some reason the amazing shot he had seems to have disappeared. 

But to his credit he still has been managing to rack up points. 

Personally think he is slow but makes up for it with a pretty good hockey IQ. 

Now we have tofu and people see Brock as expendable. 

Everybody's expendable for the right price so why take it so personally?  

If we could land a top 2 dman for Boeser then despite the fact alot of us love the player maybe that would be the overall best move for the team.?

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

Will Toffoli re-sign here? I don't feel very confident about that. He's going to have his pick of which team to go to really. Lots of teams will want to add him. I also don;t get the imrpession that he loves it here. Almost seems moody, with an air of LA arrogance. BUT...if the Canucks can re-sign him I would be happy with that. This may also make a trade possible with Brock going for a Top pairing Dman. I don't dislike Brock (I actually really like him), but as erkayloomeh says, he's not the same player he was in his rookie year. His shot has disappeared, he's playing a little slow, he's got bad injury luck. But he's still young and producing, so he would fetch a nice return. 

52 minutes ago, bree2 said:

we lost 2-1 last night, I don't know where a lot of you believe the Canucks didn't play hard,

Petey= 1goal and I hit

Toffoli= 5 sog

Edler =3sog 2 hits

Pearson =3 sog and 4 hits

Virtanen =3 sog and 2 hits

Miller  = 2 sog 3 hits 

Myers= 1 sog 2 hits

Horvat =1 sog  good on the face offs

Gaudette =1 sog and horrible on Faceoffs

Hughes =1 sog 

they lost 2-1 because Jackets goalie was hot and stopping everything, go look at the games in the last few days and you will see some of the best teams lose, it happens. we have a young team  that has never been to the playoffs and they are still trying. cheer them on!!! 

At some point you have to ask is "playing hard" enough to win?

Willie , by all accounts had the team playing hard.

Above someone mentioned Trotz's Preds were underskilled but played well.

teams are regularly picking off passes to the point, (it happened to Bo for about the 4th game in a row)

the Canucks are a predictable team

They had no shots like the 2 that were scored against them, but they did "pass" up several similar chances

so as hard as they play, they do not stop high grade chances and they do not get high grade chances.

Either they are poorly coached, uncoachable, underdeveloped, or scared to play in tough areas

Or maybe a combination of the 3.

the question is why?

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Looks like jim might be busy on draft day....,

if I was a Brock fan I would enjoy probably his last season of a Canuck.....

his the only guy that has value you need to bring in a josh Manson or Shea Weber type for Hughes.....

anyone want to make a bet that Jim goes out and finds an enforcer like DD this off season? cause the pests arnt cutting it, reeves would be a nice add ha 

i haven't wrote the team off but if we make it to the playoffs , we wil be like pasted Canucks and out in the first round....

it would be good experience for the guys but we are playing meaningful games in March and that's all I can ask of a rebuilding team taking another step. 

maybe this whole"Meaningful games in March" matra is part of the problem,

If that was the goal, they have attained that goal

what next?

1 minute ago, lmm said:

At some point you have to ask is "playing hard" enough to win?

Willie , by all accounts had the team playing hard.

Above someone mentioned Trotz's Preds were underskilled but played well.

teams are regularly picking off passes to the point, (it happened to Bo for about the 4th game in a row)

the Canucks are a predictable team

They had no shots like the 2 that were scored against them, but they did "pass" up several similar chances

so as hard as they play, they do not stop high grade chances and they do not get high grade chances.

Either they are poorly coached, uncoachable, underdeveloped, or scared to play in tough areas

Or maybe a combination of the 3.

the question is why?

so when you see  top teams like the Bruins, Pens, Avs, Tampa, Caps, lose a few in a row , are they poorly coached, uncoachable or scared to play in tough areas. I think not. the Canucks as I have said are a young team learning as they go on the first real year coming out of a rebuild, of course there are going to be mistakes, by the coach and the players,  no team ever goes 82 games and no losses. 

9 minutes ago, bree2 said:

so when you see  top teams like the Bruins, Pens, Avs, Tampa, Caps, lose a few in a row , are they poorly coached, uncoachable or scared to play in tough areas. I think not. the Canucks as I have said are a young team learning as they go on the first real year coming out of a rebuild, of course there are going to be mistakes, by the coach and the players,  no team ever goes 82 games and no losses. 

We either have good players, who are poorly coached, or we have poor players, and the coaching makes no difference.  We were not a good team fir Green’s first two seasons.  Last summer JB added Miller (he’s pretty good, right?) and Myers (pretty good too).  Hughes arrives too, and he’s a phenom.  Marky is clearly a top ten goalie.  IMH our coaching is holding a good team back from becoming a great team.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, lmm said:

maybe this whole"Meaningful games in March" matra is part of the problem,

If that was the goal, they have attained that goal

what next?

Hopefully a top three seed next season and then a cup in Canada in my life time lol

but these games show who the gamers are.....Miller petey and Hughes and I would even throw Jake in there ....

right now everyone is playing playoff hockey and we can see where the areas we lack now and you need a lil success to see what you have and to see where players are. 

This off season/draft is when Jim will build a true playoff team....this season none of us knew what we had or even how good we would be be so now we can address needs and move different players. 

Look at how many thought demko was ready to be a starter.....

I think Jim is also judging the coaching staff and I would be surprised if green has his old staff next season. 

So at the start of the season we had abunch of question marks and now we need a stay at home mean D man for Hughes and add an enforcer/fighter....

that's a step forward. 

• Cheers 3

27 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Will Toffoli re-sign here? I don't feel very confident about that. He's going to have his pick of which team to go to really. Lots of teams will want to add him. I also don;t get the imrpession that he loves it here. Almost seems moody, with an air of LA arrogance. BUT...if the Canucks can re-sign him I would be happy with that. This may also make a trade possible with Brock going for a Top pairing Dman. I don't dislike Brock (I actually really like him), but as erkayloomeh says, he's not the same player he was in his rookie year. His shot has disappeared, he's playing a little slow, he's got bad injury luck. But he's still young and producing, so he would fetch a nice return. 

Toffoli Basically said yesterday he’s playing for a contract and wants to sign. Take it for what it is

We need to hold onto 38 year old Brock Boeser. We were a better team with him in the line up. Toffoli improves our overall game and can put up offence but Boeser ceiling is high and chemistry with Petey is better then Toffoli. Can’t wait for a healthy BB so we can slot Toffoli with Bo. JV can continue to play up and down the line up. Whenever we need a boost or to switch things up

53 minutes ago, NeilColville said:

That’s what it was. With no Stanley cups the Canucks need to celebrate something. We should have waited another year. I’m not saying I dislike Bo as a player but I am not fond of him being a captain. 

52 minutes ago, bree2 said:

oh come on now, you know that is not true for the most part. it is their job/career that part is true, but to say they don't care that is bogus!!!

To see what true Leadership looks like, look no further then what Petey did last night. You need to play with a heart of a lion and the team will follow you. Scoring 10 million goals and becoming a "faceoff guru" is fine but when your team is down and they need that "Extra" at the "Right Time" ? We all seen what it did to the team right after that goal last night. The team all of a sudden had a burst of energy. Too bad it didn't last that long though.

I waited for somebody to do that in the 2011 SCF. Did it happen? In 94' when Linden scored 2 goals in game 7 it almost happened. "The Save" by McLean? The goal by Adams? Brown to Bure!!? If Lafayette's shot was only an inch lower!

When we were down and the game is important, some players treat it like "just another game", players like Petey and Miller, don't, and they won't in the playoffs either.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

This team needs both of them. Before BB got injured JB said we need another top 6 forward. People need to realize you don’t add to subtract. We need better defence sure. But we are going to have to wait. It went from piss poor to average in one season. It will get better and we need to inject more youth into the back end. There will be more growing paid but it’s all going to be worth it big time 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, bree2 said:

I don't buy the young team excuse.

It is true Petey looks tired but he, Gaudette and Hughes are not costing us games

if they were the mistake makers, I'd buy that excuse

A couple of bad games by Demko fit the young reasoning, but more often it is not the young guys

7 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

To see what true Leadership looks like, look no further then what Petey did last night. You need to play with a heart of a lion and the team will follow you. Scoring 10 million goals and becoming a "faceoff guru" is fine but when your team is down and they need that "Extra" at the "Right Time" ? We all seen what it did to the team right after that goal last night. The team all of a sudden had a burst of energy. Too bad it didn't last that long though.

I waited for somebody to do that in the 2011 SCF. Did it happen? In 94' when Linden scored 2 goals in game 7 it almost happened. "The Save" by McLean? The goal by Adams? Brown to Bure!!? If Lafayette's shot was only an inch lower!

When we were down and the game is important, some players treat it like "just another game", players like Petey and Miller, don't, and they won't in the playoffs either.

Fair points but If we scored from center Ice there would have been a burst of energy’s, it’s natural for players to get some adrenaline from a goal.

Petey hasn’t been effective in some games lately as well. Were they less important then yesterday’s ?

Also another point would Petey or Miller be having the same seasons if they were named captain?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lmm said:

I don't buy the young team excuse.

It is true Petey looks tired but he, Gaudette and Hughes are not costing us games

if they were the mistake makers, I'd buy that excuse

A couple of bad games by Demko fit the young reasoning, but more often it is not the young guys

Inexperienced team

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We either have good players, who are poorly coached, or we have poor players, and the coaching makes no difference.  We were not a good team fir Green’s first two seasons.  Last summer JB added Miller (he’s pretty good, right?) and Myers (pretty good too).  Hughes arrives too, and he’s a phenom.  Marky is clearly a top ten goalie.  IMH our coaching is holding a good team back from becoming a great team.  

so you think the Caps who went years without a cup , but they had good players, you think the coaches they had were terrible? it takes teams a few years to become   elite and to go on and win a cup.  they learn along the way, just like our players are doing.  all teams have their ups and downs during the season, sometimes it goes your way and sometimes it doesn't