The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Columbus Blue Jackets at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 08, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

actually there were hockey related  forums on the old usenet as far back as at least 1992...canucks (and every other team) had a discussion group.  looking through the archives lots of themes persist...blaming the coach/gm during bad years etc...there was way less information about prospects back then..

Interesting I didn’t know that! I’m sure there’s a lot more opinions now though with practically everyone having access

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Interesting I didn’t know that! I’m sure there’s a lot more opinions now though with practically everyone having access

only reason I know Devron is coz im old(er) ! lol....i was in university back then and its where students used to (argue/debate) with others about hockey...from all over the world.

google groups archived all of those old usenet forums.

As an example check out this post from early in the 94 season questioning Linden's leadership...and if Bure doesnt score there is no offence, and the defence is suspect...

sounds like a common theme!

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.sports.hockey.nhl.vanc-canucks/trevor$20linden$20|sort:date/alt.sports.hockey.nhl.vanc-canucks/GyVsQ9oK2_g/vXe_ZGyRizYJ

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

For me, I don't care who wears the "C" I just want the team to play inspired Hockey ,especially when the game is important.

I loved Bo when he first came here and I thought his 1st couple of seasons he was a "shoe-in" for the job of Captain. He just had this fire in him and he wanted to improve every game, and he did.

Now, he seems like he wants to emulate Hank and do what he did. He even sounds like him in interviews.

Maybe he does get back to what he first brought but seeing what Petey can do, in only his second season in, and Miller ,who just came to the team, I am seeing a number of possibilities for letters on their jerseys.

True. It’s a team game for sure. I guess the biggest advice Bo got from his predecessors and it’s well documented. Don’t change your game. That was from H Sedin and Naslund. So if he’s changed his game then that’s on Bo. I say let the kid do his thing he’ll grow into his shoes 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, crazycry said:

It's time for us to lower our expectations. The reality of missing the playoffs is real. 

Feel bad for Markstrom man....guy brought us so close..

2 points:

1- Don't feel bad for Markstrom, this will make him a very rich man, he will be the highest paid Canuck next year

2- What do you think were management's expectations given they protected their first round pick this year in the Miller trade? Why do fans have higher expectations than management who put the team together?

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I don't know, maybe you should be asking the Captain those exact questions. I was talking about a young player who is just learning how to play in the NHL.::D

That's a bit of a cop out...by all accounts EP has been a leader of his teams since he was 14 and you mentioned JT (8th year in the league) Miller. ;)

Edited by GritGrinder

21 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

The impressions I’ve been getting from some fans is Horvat is not doing his job or that they expected more once he dawned the C.

Not sure about doing more, but certainly not doing less.

A few years ago, he carried this team on his back, the passion and determination he had, we called him the Bull because he would just bulldoze over opponents to get to the net. Now, I don't notice him much, he looks like any of the other middle 6 players. But it's also the "little things". Like when an opponent does somehting dirty to a team mate, jump in and lay a beating, or at least show that you're upset. Bad call, go and demand an explanation from the refs. I see Bo skating away passively too often.

I've watched Miller this year, on the ice, but also the bench,. He's always talking to the young guys. He's taking Jake under his wing and trying to turn him into an a-hole to play against, exactly what this team needs. Then I watch Bo on the bench and he just stares straight ahead, doesn't seem to talk to anyone as far as I can tell.

Miller was such an excellent trade, he does it all. Leading the team in scoring, acting as a leader, a mentor, a coach. Without him, I would iomagen the Canucks would be near the bottom this year, and playoffs wouldn't even be in the conversation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not sure about doing more, but certainly not doing less.

A few years ago, he carried this team on his back, the passion and determination he had, we called him the Bull because he would just bulldoze over opponents to get to the net. Now, I don't notice him much, he looks like any of the other middle 6 players. But it's also the "little things". Like when an opponent does somehting dirty to a team mate, jump in and lay a beating, or at least show that you're upset. Bad call, go and demand an explanation from the refs. I see Bo skating away passively too often.

I've watched Miller this year, on the ice, but also the bench,. He's always talking to the young guys. He's taking Jake under his wing and trying to turn him into an a-hole to play against, exactly what this team needs. Then I watch Bo on the bench and he just stares straight ahead, doesn't seem to talk to anyone as far as I can tell.

Miller was such an excellent trade, he does it all. Leading the team in scoring, acting as a leader, a mentor, a coach. Without him, I would iomagen the Canucks would be near the bottom this year, and playoffs wouldn't even be in the conversation.

Strip him. Would we be better then?

Bo carried the team on his back because who else was going to do that? We have players now to support Bo. Let Bo be Bo and let him grow. Just like Petey and Hughes. Honestly If Hughes doesn’t crack 40 points next year, what are people going to say about him. Let’s support this team.

Edited by Devron44

4 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

That's a bit of a cop out...by all accounts EP has been a leader of his teams since he was 14 and you mentioned JT (8th year in the league) Miller. ;)

You don't think what Petey and Miller are doing right now are not impacting the team? These guys are the newbies on the team with no letter on their jerseys and I think they are doing a bang up job considering. Are you sure we are not arguing the same thing? ::D

Bo just needs to get that fire back that made him the natural choice for captain in the first place. The Canucks need that 2nd line to be contributing 5 on 5. The bottom 6 needs to be re-jigged in such a way that it takes that shutdown pressure off Horvats line a bit more. Beagle and Boeser back obviously make it much easier to help that focus shift for Horvat, Pearson, and whoever ends up on the other wing with them. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Darius said:

only reason I know Devron is coz im old(er) ! lol....i was in university back then and its where students used to (argue/debate) with others about hockey...from all over the world.

google groups archived all of those old usenet forums.

As an example check out this post from early in the 94 season questioning Linden's leadership...and if Bure doesnt score there is no offence, and the defence is suspect...

sounds like a common theme!

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.sports.hockey.nhl.vanc-canucks/trevor$20linden$20|sort:date/alt.sports.hockey.nhl.vanc-canucks/GyVsQ9oK2_g/vXe_ZGyRizYJ

haha fair enough

Hmm I want to see this. I must need a Google account though?

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, crazycry said:

Curiosity, what was your expectation for this team? From what I can tell, we've been sold on the idea of playoffs (Miller, Ferland, Myers), and playoff experience to a "young team" is also very valuable. The frustration many of us have is them selling us this "hope" of making the playoffs for 60 games, then show us $&!# for the rest...

that is the word HOPE, there are no guarantees, when it comes to the playoffs. if you have watched hockey for a long time , anything can happen! 

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

You don't think what Petey and Miller are doing right now are not impacting the team? These guys are the newbies on the team with no letter on their jerseys and I think they are doing a bang up job considering. Are you sure we are not arguing the same thing? ::D

In the 7 recent losses I mentioned that are likely to cost this team a playoff spot...? No

5 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

2 points:

1- Don't feel bad for Markstrom, this will make him a very rich man, he will be the highest paid Canuck next year

2- What do you think were management's expectations given they protected their first round pick this year in the Miller trade? Why do fans have higher expectations than management who put the team together?

1- As much as I want Markstrom back, there is a possibility he won't.

2- Management protecting the 1st in the trade was a cautionary move, that move was proven to be maybe unnecessary 60 games in when the team displayed the capability of closing out games, scoring and most importantly our "tree" in the net. As I see it, management has the same expectations as fans...to enter the playoffs. If this expectation was a non existing factor, no need to trade for Toffoli when Boeser went down. 

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

No disrespect to Horvat as he is learning and will continue to grow into the C. But the captain of this team right now, letter or not, is JT Miller.

Imo the captain is actually Markstrom. He’s the backbone of this entire team. But we know how well that works hehe

Miller is like a little bit older Horvat. I’ve said it before having Miller has been a great thing for Horvat. Fans need to stop with the letter crap and let things happen. Because there’s nothing wrong with having leadership outside the captain and it’s gonna help Bo big time

43 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Still leaves a hole in the top six.

remember when we had nobody to play with kes?

people are calling out our captain already.....

True.  Do you like Virtanen top six? Macewen?  

It leaves us with a hole maybe but we have a pretty big hole on D too. 

Is Tanev going to resign.  How much longer is edler effective? How good will tryamkin be when/ if he gets here? 

I don't care who we've got at forward if we have a lousy D they will never get the puck. 

Your right but we need D more I think 

Bo Horvat has been saddled with LE

and not being put in the best position to score. Give him Taf or Gauds or Jake. Or hopefully Brock. 

Green wears the C the way he neuters our offense.

Everyone gets a turn in his doghouse of a third line. Jakes there again

Mac gets only 6 minutes but gets two goals?

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Imo the captain is actually Markstrom. He’s the backbone of this entire team. But we know how well that works hehe

Miller is like a little bit older Horvat. I’ve said it before having Miller has been a great thing for Horvat. Fans need to stop with the letter crap and let things happen. Because there’s nothing wrong with having leadership outside the captain and it’s gonna help Bo big time

I agree, I actually am glad that Bo is seeing guys "step up" in different ways then what he has been recently exposed to. This will just make him a better leader. If he continues what he has done in the past, he will learn from it and make himself better because of it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

True.  Do you like Virtanen top six? Macewen?  

It leaves us with a hole maybe but we have a pretty big hole on D too. 

Is Tanev going to resign.  How much longer is edler effective? How good will tryamkin be when/ if he gets here? 

I don't care who we've got at forward if we have a lousy D they will never get the puck. 

Your right but we need D more I think 

We are both right and wrong at the same time!

ahhhh.

that means there is a deficiency!!

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Markstrom is a leader as well but its hard for a goalie to be compared to a position player in that respect i think.

Miller was a very different player when he was young. Almost lazy really and somewhat resistant to making the adjustments expected of him. Ironically it was AV who forced him to change his tune. And he is a much better player and leader for it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3