The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Isn't it time to give someone from Utica a chance instead of Eriksson?

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

6 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Ok, Loui Eriksson now has 6 goals and 7 assists for 13 points in 49 games... and he has played mostly on the 2nd line.

Yeah, yeah, I know Green likes his plugs and he likes the way Loui backchecks... but isn't it time that we get a little more scoring punch and creativity on 2nd line?

Right now the team seems to be having issues with consistent goal scoring... maybe they need a little help?

Loui is kinda a placeholder... we all know that... so why is he still playing?

---

Lets see what we have down in Utica:

Nikolai Goldobin:  19 goals, 30 assists in 50 games... nearly a point a game.  Improved on his Plus/Minus at -2... not great, but actually better than Loui... better than Bo, (at -14... even great players sometimes get bad stats) tied with Pearson and Jake.

Justin Bailey:  27 goals, 19 assists in 49 games...  not too far off Goldobin in PPG.  Big and tough, would fit with the Horvat line.  Got a few looks up with the big team, but not really enough to give him a chance.  Plus/Minus of +11.

Sven Baertschi:  13 goals, 33 assists in 43 games... actually better PPG than the others, Plus/Minus of -2... but again, we know how much Green hates to admit he's wrong... so rule him out.

One more:

Lukas Jasek:  14 goals, 13 assists in 55 games, offensive stats not that impressive but he doesn't get much playing time... and he has a very high plus/minus of +16, best on the team for forwards... so he knows his backcheck.  A very slick player, might combine nicely with the grit of Horvat and Pearson.

-----

Some might say "Don't mess with a good thing..."   ... but is Eriksson really a positive... or is he a 'meh'???

Personally I think this team needs a spark or something which will get them going.  Eriksson is not that.

Eriksson is better than any of those candidates at this time

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 3
  • Upvote 1

The problem with your idea is that the team has limited call-ups allowed now that we are past the trade deadline.  They aren't going to waste one now just because it would be nice to give one of the Comets some NHL ice time.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Isn't boeser coming back.? 

Then won't Eriksson get demoted? 

Would like to see Eriksson gone asap 

Nope.  This is coach Green.  Boeser slots in for MacEwen.  MacEwen doesn't listen, he plays too aggressive and stuff.

Oh, and Boeser will be on the 3rd line.  There's no room in the top 6.  Virtanen can move down to the 4th line.

- Coach Green

Edited by HKSR
  • Haha 3
  • Wat 3
  • Upvote 1

People just have to understand he’s not going anywhere until the seasons over. He may get scratched if Boeser is back but might still play too. This is an issue that won’t be solved this season. I think management have been careful with this.

They wanted him to play to

1. Maybe so he has a value for a cap dump

2. We don’t really know whats gone on behind the scenes as far as discussions with JB and LE and his future. Playing him this year may be part of that

He’s done more good then bad. Other then he can’t finish a play to save his life lol. The problem is fans are just frankly tired of seeing him and prefer to see someone else in the lineup. Let’s hope some resolve happens this summer. I’ve been tired of Loui for a long time too but I don’t see those guys in Utica helping us win games.

26 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Asset management. 
Minor Leaguer Loui doesn’t look good on Benning or LE’s trade value, non existent as it already is.

It’s like Benning has instructed Greene to play LE and that both their futures depend on it. 

I’ve been saying it for a while there is something more to it then what a fan can see.

Just look at it right now. LE has been starting on Bo’s line the last few games but JV has practically played most of the game on that line after the first shift. It hasn’t been adding up entirely. Not that Loui can’t hold his own. He just can’t provide offence at all! 

It tiring with the whole Green playing LE thing because frankly there is something else in the background going on and I don’t doubt it. If this is what we go through to not have him on the roster next year count me in 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Beagle, Boeser, Leivo,  Ferland

Those are the reasons LE is playing.  All year long the team has had a handful of forwards shining good fortune on LE's opportunities - he, just, once again, hasn't seized much of it.

Goldobin?  Really? 

I'm not sure Goldobin's defensive game is AHL ready, let alone NHL (that is sarcasm btw, but with a kernel of pointedness).

Anyhow - nothing to see here.

I hate seeing LE in the lineup as much as anyone else around here - he's painful to watch - broken confidence, spotty....

But this is the deadest horse on these boards - and absolutely not worth - YET ANOTHER - weak retread thread.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

Eriksson, Eriksson, Eriksson all this attention on Eriksson. The only thing that makes him special is because of Benning's stupid contract.

As a player he is not bad defensively and that is all he is out there for now.

Sure he is a massively over paid 3rd or 4th liner but then there are a lot of over paid 3rd and 4th liner's on the team.

He is just a focus to draw blame for many other mistakes made by Benning and the team is stuck with him and the others for another two years,

Columbus showed that if you play young players they can win, that is if you draft or trade for the right ones, the same with Ottawa, Colorado, New Jersey, Jets and Hurricanes.

There are not enough young players in Utica to match what those teams have in the NHL now.

Yes, if they were serious about developing and rebuilding they would have had a rotating door on young players in the NHL all season and right now, but this group is a single shot at a playoff spot, all the chips are pushed in and it is a dead end road, playoffs or exit.

Beagle, Boeser, Leivo,  Ferland

Those are the reasons Gaudette is here,

Edited by Lazurus

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Nope.  This is coach Green.  Boeser slots in for MacEwen.  MacEwen doesn't listen, he plays too aggressive and stuff.

Oh, and Boeser will be on the 3rd line.  There's no room in the top 6.  Virtanen can move down to the 4th line.

- Coach Green

The hell are you talking about and why are you signing for Travis Green?

Top that.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

- Coach Green

Weird. Green gave Mac a lot of credit. Said he has a soft spot for guys that play old school and hit like Mac. Where did you get this quote?

If it's time for a change, imo that change is getting Gaudette out of the center position and on the wing, where he's not as exposed.

That is the most notable weakness in the lineup.

He's still relatively vacant without the puck, he struggles to win a draw - it's difficult to shelter him, particularly under the circumstances - and even more of a problem when the team is also riding a rookie goaltender.

Unfortunately - yet another injury to one of the shutdown centers (Beagle) means that this is 'not the time' for this change (anymore than  it is time to sub out Eriksson - and whether the team can afford another AHL level defensive forward in the lineup is debatable).

An otherwise solid team defensive performance last night - so I'm not looking to rag on the team - but did anyone see the two goals they did give up?  Goldobin is not the answer - and I'm skeptical your other AHL options are either.

• Cheers 1